Pulled the trigger on the Kona El Kahuna yesterday!

First ride!

Attachments

• 20240114_131125.jpg
    20240114_131125.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240114_131115.jpg
    20240114_131115.jpg
    727.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240114_131108.jpg
    20240114_131108.jpg
    671.4 KB · Views: 37
thanks for posting the pics, looks like a more upright riding position than website pics seem to depict, now if it wasn't for you posting the super deal on the El Kahuna I would have ordered one at the $2169 price, however Kona sent me an email with an extra 10% off but at checkout said the code wasn't valid, as the email had 2 bike pics - a El Kahuna and an EL Kahuna SUV I'm asking Kona to take an additional 10% off owing to the email although it says restrictions may apply, but gotta try and shave some $$ off the price. Found another site where a El Kahuna SUV is going for < $1,900 trying to determine how legit they are as they aren't listed as a reseller on the Kona site. The only thing of real interest to me on the SUV is the rack and the 604w battery.

ok, got frustrated dealing with Kona as the El Kahuna would have cost me $2,360 and admittedly bedeviled by missing out on the great deal Jimmy666 landed, so this am bought a specialized tero 3.0, for $2k total, no shipping or taxes, it has lower level components in some areas but a little lighter than the Kona and a faster as specialized has made it a class 3 . I think I'll like it.

ok, got frustrated dealing with Kona as the El Kahuna would have cost me $2,360 and admittedly bedeviled by missing out on the great deal Jimmy666 landed, so this am bought a specialized tero 3.0, for $2k total, no shipping or taxes, it has lower level components in some areas but a little lighter than the Kona and a faster as specialized has made it a class 3 . I think I'll like it.
Congrats on the new bike! I was surprised that you actually got a hold of someone at Kona to begin with honestly. Thankfully I can take it to the shop if I have a problem.

Congrats on the new bike! I was surprised that you actually got a hold of someone at Kona to begin with honestly. Thankfully I can take it to the shop if I have a problem.
Saw several popups advertising free shipping for Kona bike purchases and then I was sent an email with only 2 pics - an El Kahuna and an El Kahuna SUV providing a code saying they would to take an additional 10% off my purchase, great but code didn't work and when I reached Kona they said they would fix it but never did so I moved on. In reading this thread some six months back folks were paying over $3k for Turbo Teros and El Kahunas so this is a good time to buy an E bike, for me Kona will be forever the one that "got away" :) Butthanks for the replies and sharing info, ride well !

Last edited:
Update on this saga - now Kona has given me a price of $1963 - which puts in below the Turbo Tero I just ordered. I may see if I can cancel the Tero order and go with the Kona as it's better equipped, Kona as a company though seems disorganized.

Update on this saga - now Kona has given me a price of $1963 - which puts in below the Turbo Tero I just ordered. I may see if I can cancel the Tero order and go with the Kona as it's better equipped, Kona as a company though seems disorganized.
Good luck. The Tero looks like a good deal to me also. Components can always be upgraded.

Good luck. The Tero looks like a good deal to me also. Components can always be upgraded.
Yeah components can be upgraded but in my experience not worth buying a bike with cheap components as they wear out faster, reading up on mid motor e bikes they supposedly will wear chains and gears faster, depending on how much assist one uses. Wife yrs back buys a Trek (against my advice but her friend had one) with alivio components and brings the bike home telling me it came with "free annual tuneups" worthless to me as I always do my own work, anyways she takes the bike back in for the annual tuneup and guess what they say it needs a new chain and cog set, neither being free and she hadn't ridden the bike very much. There was some wear but not close to needing replacement.
looks like I'm now the owner of a Turbo Tero -but on the bright side at least I didn't get scammed and 2 days after placing the order the price went up by $600 for the specialized.

the response from Kona was via email from [email protected] who wanted me to venmo payment to them - so the transaction wouldn't go thru Kona's website - which shows my cost to be $2360 because it includes a $185 shipping charge and no 10% discount that Kona sent a code to use but the code didn't work and when you search for El Kuna a pop shows free shipping from Kona . I'm suspicious of this - were you able to do your transaction via the Kona world web site ? Also Kona ownership has changed hands 2x in the last 2 yrs and reportedly early in 2023 they had some big layoffs in the marketing and sales and other areas. So how is your bike - everything as expected ? Just got an email from the Kona person asking if I use paypal, the whole thing seems odd. Just to add to this traced the email address to a shop back east ridershops.com who does list El Kahunas at attractive prices, but they don't appear to be a Kona reseller, I read that there are some scams with bike purchases and this might possibly be one.

Last edited:
Back