Protecting Downtube Battery Contacts

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
Earlier this year, a poster asked a question about how to protect their Hailong downtube battery contacts during transport. It was part of a thread I couldn't locate so I can't respond directly.

While cleaning out my shop storage area, I came across these vinyl metal bar end protector caps. They are a perfect fit for the contacts in Hailong and several other brands of downtube battery holders.

IMG_1191b.jpg
IMG_1189b.jpg
P1090404b.jpg

It is still possible for water to seep past the connector base into the lower housing. To prevent this, it is a simple task to seal the gap between the connector base and the housing with silicone sealer.

P1090404c.jpg

With the Hailong base, this really isn't necessary however. All parts are plastic or stainless and there aren't any components inside that can be affected by moisture.

IMG_1183b.jpg

The vinyl caps do provide some physical protection and can keep out moisture & debris. They are available commercially but must be purchased in quantity which makes the idea cost prohibitive. Since I have no use for the supply I have and my shop storage is overcrowded, I'm going to toss them. I'd be happy to send one at no cost to anyone who can use it. All I ask is they send me a self addressed stamped envelope. Those interested can PM me for details.

I use these. They're from a heavy duty spring clamp, soft cover for the jaws. They always slipped off the clamps and were useless for that purpose. I threw them in a coffee can and came across them last summer, and were surprised that they were a perfect fit.
IMG_20211202_075928062.jpg

Back