Prodigy V2 Belt CVT Reviews?

Tyler S

Hey all - I'm looking at buying a Prodigy V2 Belt CVT and would appreciate any input/review from anyone who has one. I've seen a number of V1 reviews and Sefutau2020's great review of the chain version, but was wondering how the belt drive and CVT are performing for folks. Thanks!

Jimmy Chang posted a positive (albeit sponsored) review on Youtube. Overall, the V2 belt impresses me as a solid quality machine at this price point, but a few things don't quite knock it out of the park for me. Admittedly, I say that blindly having never been on one. The 36V,14ah battery offers decent but unexceptional range. As far as I know, Ride 1Up does not offer an optional battery extender at this point in time... The 1.5" display is pretty dinky...The battery cover business is a nitpick, but I think it would drive me crazy after a while. Another nitpick is the amount of assembly Ride1Up bikes require. Obviously though, that issue resolves itself with a little effort or a little cash for your local bike mechanic to do it for you.

I think the Zen Photon is worth a good look too, and in my estimation worth the extra cash, at least on paper.

This reviewer really put the V2 to the test:

Thanks! I hear you on the issues you list, and also wish there was a bigger battery option but figure that's also priced where it's at. But also why I'd love to hear from some 'real' folks who have the bike on their review. And thanks for the photon rec - I'm pretty meh on the idea of a step-through. The bike looks good, as you mention, on paper though, though it seems like there have been some shipping issues, but like I said I think a step through is a bit of a deal-breaker for me.

Thanks! I hear you on the issues you list, and also wish there was a bigger battery option but figure that's also priced where it's at. But also why I'd love to hear from some 'real' folks who have the bike on their review. And thanks for the photon rec - I'm pretty meh on the idea of a step-through. The bike looks good, as you mention, on paper though, though it seems like there have been some shipping issues, but like I said I think a step through is a bit of a deal-breaker for me.
One of my bikes (Evelo Omega) has a similar step-thru frame to the Zen I suggested, and no one has shouted "girly-man !" at me yet, but I'll admit I resisted the step-thru idea myself for awhile.

All kidding aside, Evelo also produces the Atlas which is similar in design to the V2 belt but without the compromises. Since I am on their mailing list they sent advance notice of a flash-sale today (Thursday, May 23rd). I'm not at all confident that the Atlas will be discounted enough to interest you, if at all (they were sold out last time I checked) but worth a look at their web site today.

My other ride is a Priority Current (mid-step) which is a thrill to ride, but lacks the suspension fork of the V2. That feature does not interest me inasmuch as I ride mainly on unpaved surfaces, but it certainly does not have MTB capability. Priority offers the bike with the Enviolo CVT, but I am more than happy with the Shimano IGH configuration, and if I had to do it again, that's the version I would buy. While the listed price is a bit higher than the V2, it can be purchased for the same price give or take a hundred dollars.

The V2 is strategically priced and still a strong choice though.

Hahaha, well that's good to hear....no that there's anything wrong with that.

And yeah I've looked at the Atlas - as you mention it's been out of stock for awhile. I'm not sure that it's worth it - $4100 for the bike with the base battery, and then another $700 or $800 for the extra battery -- at that point you're into the $5k ball-park and would have to consider a bunch of other options, including Turbo Vado 5.0 IGH and other higher line bikes. Even at $4100 with the base battery I'd think the extra cash for the Turbo Vado would be hard not to consider. But anyway, always a million options to consider!

Back