Problems for ebikes looming on the horizon

rbeckert

Region
USA
I read two things yesterday that makes owning an ebike more difficult. First is an article that appeared on Bicycling.com by Peter Flax published Jan 31, 2023. It is an article about the horrific accident suffered by two children on a RadRunner ebike manufactured by Rad Power Bikes. The article is very long and goes into the lives of the children and families impacted by the terrible event. Towards the end of the article are eye-opening accounts of numerous individuals having issues with the brakes on Rad Power Bikes ebikes and the perils of manufacturing consumer products.

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a42690937/molly-steinsapir-lawsuit-rad-power-electric-bike/

The second item is a letter from the property manager of an apartment building advising of the banning of products with lithium batteries being stored on premises of the property.

63db808d.jpg

The second item is a letter from the property manager of an apartment building advising of the banning of products with lithium batteries being stored on premises of the property.
ya good luck with that I bet the property manager cant even manage that. it would be impossible and battery fires are rare compared to most fires.

Banning products with lithium batteries being stored on the premises of the property? What about laptops, iPads, cell phones, etc?

ya good luck with that I bet the property manager cant even manage that. it would be impossible and battery fires are rare compared to most fires.
Rare ... but not non existent. And if they can ban cats and waterbeds (remember those ?) successfully, they can handle banning ebike at an apartment complex.

AFAIK there isn't a fire issue with cellphones, laptops, or power tools anymore ... just ebikes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Problems looming for Rad, yes. They likely won't survive this. That's probably the goal of the lawsuit, from one perspective. Make an example out of the company and the industry will react accordingly (those user manuals are now clear as day about age of rider). Between the brakes, the cam release, and I think they've also been sued over battery fires, the court proceedings are going to be rough.

If they've been releasing motorbikes with discs and a cam release like this:
Cam-open-unsafe.jpg

They're hosed.

Like cars and most everything else, the problem is anyone can own one. I mean, ANYONE. Idiots will continue to ruin fun for everyone else. Cars, guns, chainsaws, internet, alcohol.

For sure, one could see apartment management as well as HomeOwner Associations successfully doing this.

This is where some good can come from these fire tragedies and that Rad Power crash in CA with death: Force all modern bikes to come standard with a thru axle locking system and hydraulic actuated brakes in lieu of cheap, cable pull brakes & quick release skewers........ and force every battery coming into this country to undergo UL testing and approval.

Sorry for the family that lost their daughter.

That said, the mother and father are both lawyers, right? OF COURSE they will sue, even if Rad has done nothing wrong. Unless Rad uses brake pads that dissolve in a matter of months, there is nothing to see here. Yeah, it's a heavy bicycle, and it has disc brakes that need to be adjusted from time to time. Which takes maybe 5 minutes and an allen wrench. Wow, what a revelation!

The only possible issue I could see for Rad is if using a quick-release on a heavy ebike is dangerous. Our two Lectric XP 2.0st ebikes have bolted-on wheels; a 10-speed I had decades ago has a quick-release which never failed. But you quickly learn to close it tightly.

So, again, sorry for the loss of life. But don't live down to the public's low expectations of lawyers by suing everyone.

And yeah, requiring UL certification on cells, batteries, and power systems on ebikes is a must. As for hydraulics, a cable-pull brake is perfectly adequate as long as the cable is lubed.

I knew about the skewer recall Trek did 10 years ago, and I always make sure the lever is on the opposite side from the rotors if I have disk brakes. Probably most bike shops do the same.
I used to own rental properties. Back then, the lease prohibited storage of gasoline and naptha indoors. Today, I don't allow my own batteries in my house.
I support UL approval for batteries. I wish they would publish the relevant tests for public knowledge. It's in their standard but I'm not paying $550 to get a copy.

Force all modern bikes to come standard
Which will likely mean a licensed class. Jeebus there's a step-through in that thread that is 100 LBS!!!
These builders are selling mini bikes and licensable scooters.

And when do parents take responsibility for giving a product intended for 16 and above to younger kids and wonder how a bad decision was made? This market is on the verge of a huge correction. I'm thrilled I had my fun and can now be satisfied with class 1 bullshit.

Back