Priority Current vs. Yamaha Cross Core vs. Yamaha Urban Rush

jkhaha

Region
USA
Hey everyone! So I've finally narrowed my choices down to three bikes: the Yamaha Cross Core, Yamaha Urban Rush (with discount), and the Priority Current (with Costco discount).

This bike will primarily be used as a commuter with some longer weekend rides. It'll probably ride 98% on pavement. I'm looking at these bikes for their quality, price point, natural ride feel, and customer service.

Priority Current: At this moment, I think the Priority Current is my top pick. It goes 28mph! It has an internal 5-speed Nexus hub. It has a mid-drive motor and it uses a belt. The specs on the bike look great. I spoke with the company and they seem pretty great to work with if I ever have an issue. However, I haven't been able to test ride the bike. I'm a little nervous about the limited gearing and the smaller chainring. I don't love the look of the bike as I prefer a sportier look.

Yamaha Cross Core: I loved how this bike rides. It felt like a regular bike with some zip. It has a well-known mid-drive motor. It feels good without electric assist. It's got a good gear range. I live only an hour from the dealer. The price is the best. The shifting wasn't amazing and the bike made some small noises. It only goes 20mph and I'd prefer 28mph. The bike comes with a three-year warranty which is awesome.

Yamaha Urban Rush: They offered me this bike at a discount (I don't know if that offer will remain). I liked how it shifted. I thought I wanted drop bars until I rode the Cross Core. I preferred the upright position, but this bike just seems like too a deal to pass up. However, it also only goes 20mph and I guess I'm partial to class 3. I've test-ridden a few bikes, and I def. like going fast. Comes with a three-year warranty.

So I'm curious what the ride is like on the Priority Current. How is the gearing? Does anyone have thoughts on this comparison. Which would you choose?

Note: I rode the Civante as well. While that is an amazing bike, it's too expensive and they didn't offer me any discount on it. I suppose I could wait another year and keep saving. I also tried out the Cross Current, but I don't need that kind of suspension and I preferred the ride of the Cross Core.

I look forward to hearing y'all's thoughts.

Thanks so much.

In my mind a commuter, a bike you are going to depend on the get to work and then get back home again, has to be a class3 28mph bike for safety sake alone. Being able to keep pace with town traffic allows you to "take the lane" and ride in the flow rather than at the edge with people passing you some swerving and distracted. It also allows you to pick up the pace if the weather starts to threaten, arriving under cover sooner. A faster bike should not just have a bigger motor, it should have better brakes, a more durable and reliable drive train and a more robust frame that can properly handle the stronger forces being exerted on and through it. It should also have a good local bike shop standing ready to help you get your vehicle of choice back on the road, safe, strong and reliable.

I know the CIvante is above your budget but the review that our own @Saratoga Dave wrote about his Civante is excellent:

https://electricbikereview.com/foru...review-initial-100-mile-impressions.36483/ing

yeah, the Civante is the fast one
I tested out the Civante and I loved it. It's got me thinking that I may just continue my time of saving up so that I can get it next year. The Priority Current checks a lot of boxes as well, and the class 3 is particularly important to me which puts it a head above the Rush and Core. I'm just a little wary of not test riding it. I like the gearing on the Civante quite a bit and the 39 tooth chainring on the Priority leaves me wondering.

I really appreciated your review BTW, though your liking the bike hasn't made my decision any easier! Ha!

I know that a lot of contributors here like their belt drive and internal hubs, but the first thing I think of is that you would have a difficult time of altering the gearing if you need to climb more or ride at high speeds more than the manufacturer assumed the typical rider would need. At the Priority website, the Current is $3300; hopefully there is a serious discount for Costco members. Otherwise I would peg that as a $2500 bike - no suspension, Chinese motor, no local shop to work on it for you. For $3300 I'd think you could do better.

Over the last twelve months I've purchased three ebikes - two Chinese import bikes and one name brand bike with a Brose motor. Everything about the name brand bike is excellent, but I still like the two Chinese import bikes quite a bit. Easy to ride, they do what I want them to do and the price was right. Don't be afraid to look at the online sellers.

Hey everyone! So I've finally narrowed my choices down to three bikes: the Yamaha Cross Core, Yamaha Urban Rush (with discount), and the Priority Current (with Costco discount).

This bike will primarily be used as a commuter with some longer weekend rides. It'll probably ride 98% on pavement. I'm looking at these bikes for their quality, price point, natural ride feel, and customer service.

Priority Current: At this moment, I think the Priority Current is my top pick. It goes 28mph! It has an internal 5-speed Nexus hub. It has a mid-drive motor and it uses a belt. The specs on the bike look great. I spoke with the company and they seem pretty great to work with if I ever have an issue. However, I haven't been able to test ride the bike. I'm a little nervous about the limited gearing and the smaller chainring. I don't love the look of the bike as I prefer a sportier look.

Yamaha Cross Core: I loved how this bike rides. It felt like a regular bike with some zip. It has a well-known mid-drive motor. It feels good without electric assist. It's got a good gear range. I live only an hour from the dealer. The price is the best. The shifting wasn't amazing and the bike made some small noises. It only goes 20mph and I'd prefer 28mph. The bike comes with a three-year warranty which is awesome.

Yamaha Urban Rush: They offered me this bike at a discount (I don't know if that offer will remain). I liked how it shifted. I thought I wanted drop bars until I rode the Cross Core. I preferred the upright position, but this bike just seems like too a deal to pass up. However, it also only goes 20mph and I guess I'm partial to class 3. I've test-ridden a few bikes, and I def. like going fast. Comes with a three-year warranty.

So I'm curious what the ride is like on the Priority Current. How is the gearing? Does anyone have thoughts on this comparison. Which would you choose?

Note: I rode the Civante as well. While that is an amazing bike, it's too expensive and they didn't offer me any discount on it. I suppose I could wait another year and keep saving. I also tried out the Cross Current, but I don't need that kind of suspension and I preferred the ride of the Cross Core.

I look forward to hearing y'all's thoughts.

Thanks so much.
What did you end up buying??

What did you end up buying??
I probably missed this post. If it helps anyone, you can read thorough my thread on the Current here. I recommend starting from the post I liked and reading through the end, as my opinion matures the more I get to ride the bike. Also, the more I rode it, the more I liked it!

Back