Powerful hill climber at the $1500 price point?

John Thompson

Hello folks and thank you in advance for your help!

I am interested in an EMTB that is a powerful hill climber that will let me explore the fire roads in wilderness areas here in Washington state. My wife and I share a Ride1Up 500 series that is comfortable and easy and great for cruising flat trails and so forth, but just doesn't have the guts to help me up these slopes. Nothing I will be doing will be at all technical or on single track - just gravel roads into the back country, and I'm just too broken down to be able to ride them on my old hardtail anymore. I'm about 6 feet tall and tipping the scales at a robust 230 these days. I am looking at about $1500 or so but there is some wiggle room, and the Rad Rover 5 was my first thought, but I need the help of folks who are really in the know. Thanks again!

John in Bellingham, WA

I don't know of anything considered a powerful hill climber for $1500. I've never heard anyone say any of the Rad Power bikes as being powerful hill climbers. I spent about twice your budget for my Haibike Full Seven in 2016.

I assumed it would be better in that regard because of the 750w motor? Probably showing off my lack of knowledge, sadly.

I am interested in an EMTB that is a powerful hill climber that will let me explore the fire roads in wilderness areas here in Washington state. My wife and I share a Ride1Up 500 series that is comfortable and easy and great for cruising flat trails and so forth, but just doesn't have the guts to help me up these slopes. Nothing I will be doing will be at all technical or on single track - just gravel roads into the back country, and I'm just too broken down to be able to ride them on my old hardtail anymore. I'm about 6 feet tall and tipping the scales at a robust 230 these days. I am looking at about $1500 or so but there is some wiggle room, and the Rad Rover 5 was my first thought, but I need the help of folks who are really in the know. Thanks again!
John in Bellingham, WA

Take a look at a mid-drive motor for powerful EMTB climbing power. ;)
Here is a Shimano E5000 mid-drive hard tail that you could add wide tires.

2020 Motobecane Front Suspension Elite eAdventure Shimano MidDrive $1699

1587875236441.png

Attachments

• 1587875274128.png
    1587875274128.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Respectfully disagree with rich c. I have a 2018 Radmini - so can't speak to the Rover. But I understand your terrain and the type of roads you're talking about. I live in Oregon, and the mini is always folded in the back of my Jeep and I ride it mostly on remote forest roads in the Cascades and Coast Ranges and some on the coast beaches. I, my Jeep and the mini spend tons of time in really remote spots in the spring, summer and fall - never seeing anyone. I'm 5'9" and a little over 150#'s, old, but in fairly good shape as I also do a considerable amount of hiking. To me this thing climbs great. I don't use the throttle when climbing, just gear down and up the assist and I have climbed some long really steep grades. I like this bike and it's given me no major issues. IMO, depending on your conditioning, the Rad should handle WA forest roads fine. Now trying to ride on technical single tracks - no way, it (my mini and would assume the Rover) is a bus. They're heavy - the Rover even more so than my mini. But on forest roads just put some liners in tires and go for it. Plus Rad is just down the road from you in Seattle.

I also have a Haibike - a Radius Tour with the Yamaha PW motor. A smaller 20" tire bike that I can fit in my Crosstrek. I REALLY like this bike, it's agile and quick. And it also climbs fine but honestly, to me, the Rad climbs easier. But I actually like the "feel" of the Yamaha system. I prefer this bike for bikeways, paved stuff and will even ride on back paved roads. It also has been bullet proof. Great little bike.

I have a Rad Rover too and pretty much agree with OrTrek. I'll say this though. Your 230 pounds isn't going to help. I'm at about 180 so you've got 50 pounds on me. Plus what does "hills" mean? (Rhetorical -- just saying there are a lot of kinds of hills. I deal with some pretty good hills and have learned to combine gearing down and PASing up to make it up some stuff that is pretty impressive to this old man. I don't know how close you are to Seattle, but it might be worth a trip to the Rad storefront. They are really good bikes for the money.

TT

John in Bellingham, WA
For that budget you might be better off finding a cheap “host bike“ and fitting a BBSHD mid drive kit

I agree a BBSHD motor will climb anything but the motor kit and battery costs $1200 leaving just $300 for the bike

I agree a BBSHD motor will climb anything but the motor kit and battery costs $1200 leaving just $300 for the bike
These new bikes will get close to the total all in cost, less any negotiated savings
Cheaper still if you can find a good used bike

Back