Powerful Fat Tire E-bike w/ Torque sensor from Juiced Bikes

Mid-October is the earliest you will receive it providing everything from here on out goes as planned with no delays. Air shipping these things would be astronomically expensive so more likely 3 weeks cargo shipping and then time to go thru customs, process and ship out to customers. I think the website needs to have an update at the least. I don't think Sept is realistic for someone ordering today. It doesn't take that long to put something short and to the point on their every couple of weeks.

Forget
I'm not in a rush and I'm glad to see an update. I also think it would be awsome to see the early preorders like mine come with a rack 'wink, wink' :)

Forget the racks. These bikes are pretty powerful. Hydraulics should be standard for safety reasons.

Yep. My moped has decent brakes but some of my friends have theirs kitted to go 50-70 mph and they have little to no braking. That sounds scary to me.

You cover a lot of ground. I hope people appreciate how honest you are being about the bikes and the motor. Most of the discussion centers around 1000 watt bikes. Since you mention a 45 amp controller, with a roughly 50 volt battery there is a potential here for around 2,000 watts. I don’t know what the bike will actually do. Everyone has drifted a few time zones from the original California intent, the 750 watt limit and the Class 3, bikes that were locked down to the class and ‘stickered’.

The problem with a kw ebike is that you need a lot of power or you will end up making 45 minute rides. A thousand watts lasts an hour with a kWh battery, but that’s theoretical. Pushing these performance cells can decrease the cycle life, so when is the kwh battery reduced to a level that is unworkable. A conservative estimate for battery size would be 1.5x the maximum peak power, but any bike that maintains a 30 mph speed is going to have limited range on a 1 kWh battery. Fat tires increase rolling resistance. Fat tire bikes are more for trails, I guess, but hills kill batteries. If you go with high AH cells, they tend to have poor cycle lives. If you charge to 85% to maintain capacity, you lose capacity up front. Is the tech really there for 1 kw and up ebikes?

Karl Gesslein just put up a long article about his bikes. He claims that none of his dozen or so bikes is currently ‘in service’. True, Karl is a test pilot who tries to break things, but he is a genuine off road rider, it’s what he loves. So keeping bikes in service is not a trivial matter, and the more power you have the more you are stressing components.

I’m a big fan of the MAC motor. I have the weakest version, but it will pull 1200 watts with a 50v battery. The nice thing is that the motor climbs the hills around here readily, it doesn’t get hot. It’s my favorite motor and it shows why geared motors are the ideal compromise. The big Golden Motor is also a great motor, but it’s not practical to put 20 pounds on some bikes. On the other hand, the MAC that I have doesn’t even have a cadence sensor. It has an excellent throttle and a workable speed controller, or cruise control. Clearly most of your problems with this bike revolve around trying to make a torque sensor version for the newer highest power version of the MAC.

For me it is too bad that someone didn’t make a nice $1500 bike with the MAC, just the standard version with the throttle and cruise. People might have begun to see why spending $200 more for a motor is worth it. Now the MAC is bogged down in a troubled build with tech that seems way more complicated than I want. You and Hicks are like the Holy Grail people. Eric says the HG is a 40 mph ebike, and I don’t know why he thinks this. Clearly it will be unregistered and people will ride it anywhere. Your version is a geared hub with a torque sensor and a 30 mph speed capability, 1,000 watts. So it’s Wild West, either way. Make what sells. You might want to Google “Cyclist kills pedestrian”. Some of the stories are gut wrenching.

The Bafang Max Ultra is a kw mid drive. It also offers a throttle, which makes it fairly unique. Clearly there is a showdown between Bafang and Bosch, though it might be out there a few years. But at some point no hub motor is workable, climbing steeper grades. I don’t know how capable the MAC will be. Once again, of course, there is no comprehensive Ebike Magazine that will run side by side tests on your bike, the Biktrix Ultra bike, some of Lunas pre-built bikes with the BBSHD, or with their ‘ludicrous’ controller. So no one will know, anyway, what this bike can do.

As an off road bike with a high powered geared hub, it’s an interesting proposition. People should admire the technology and the effort. Torque sensor may not make tons of sense for street riding where speed is maintained, but for terrain a good TS is valuable. But who knows what an off-road bike is? Can you really go for long rides with a 1 kWh battery? Will the components hold up?

In his article Karl was talking about people who just ride dirt bikes, the kind you fill up from a plastic gas can. The people who make these bikes have years of experience. Gasoline allows for long rides, I guess, and it is easy to refill the gas tank. There’s no aerobic exercise, but the drive train is more robust. The action around here is ATV’s. Maybe someone should make an electric ATV. What will people really do with this bike?

Good luck. It’s nice to know what people do to build new ebikes. I’d like to see how this bike measures up against some of the competition.

The frames now have 3 different sizes. This has been a huge challenge and I will go into this and many more details later. If you have some questions ask it here or send a email to [email protected].

Thanks Tora for the valuable and indepth insight....

I am looking forward to knowing more about the 20" frame size...
  • What does it looks like and it's dimensions?
Maybe it's just me. in the attached pictures... the frame looks small, like 16.5"

So after spending way too much time researching ebikes, I think I've decided to go with the Hyper Fat Bike. Upgrading to the hydraulic disc brakes seems like a no brainer. I am 6'0" and 300lbs. Before pulling the trigger on the purchase, can someone let me know if I should go with the upgraded MAC 12T motor over the 9T? I guess the 9T is faster but the 12T has more torque. Even though most of my initial riding will be flat, will the 12T be much better for my weight? I also think I'm going with the 18" frame and 21Ah battery. Thanks!

So after spending way too much time researching ebikes, I think I've decided to go with the Hyper Fat Bike. Upgrading to the hydraulic disc brakes seems like a no brainer. I am 6'0" and 300lbs. Before pulling the trigger on the purchase, can someone let me know if I should go with the upgraded MAC 12T motor over the 9T? I guess the 9T is faster but the 12T has more torque. Even though most of my initial riding will be flat, will the 12T be much better for my weight? I also think I'm going with the 18" frame and 21Ah battery. Thanks!
about the same size as you I went with 9T figured why sacrifice the top speed. upped to hydraulics, large frame, & 21AH

I went with the 12T, hydraulic brakes, 21AH and Grin charger. I debated between the 9T and 12T but decided in my part of the country the extra torque would serve me better. I am 6'1" and 240lbs. When I ordered, the only frame size available was the 18". I thought I might request a change to the XL frame but really not sure I need it? Watching some of the early videos where Tora is riding one of the pre-prod units (which I assume is an 18") it looks to fit him OK. He looks to be over 6'.

Also, there was a Juiced Bike a update posted a while back which stated the 12T was reaching 30mph. That is more than fast enough for me.

I hope the racks and fenders become available around the time the bikes start to ship.

I'm 6'2'' and 180lbs I ordered Large as well. Also thinking about changing to XL, but I do not like too big frames

Juiced, would it really be so hard to e-mail all your customers with an approximate delivery date?

Yup, I'm a bit disappointed that they can't just say "mid or late October" or some other approximate time frame. Also, even mentioning the possibility of having air freight really sets up us customers for the wrong expectations. It is likely that shipping the first batch of bikes air freight would wipe out any profit to be made by Juiced, so why even mention it?

Customers that are committed to waiting will continue to wait because they know how unique of a bike this is.

Yup, I'm a bit disappointed that they can't just say "mid or late October" or some other approximate time frame. Also, even mentioning the possibility of having air freight really sets up us customers for the wrong expectations. It is likely that shipping the first batch of bikes air freight would wipe out any profit to be made by Juiced, so why even mention it?

Customers that are committed to waiting will continue to wait because they know how unique of a bike this is.

I hate to say it but setting up wrong expectations has been their modus operandi. Many of us were told on multiple occasions that the second set of bikes was in production which clearly wasn't true. Expected delivery was July, then first of August, then no later than the end of August, and now... November. It's not the delay that bothers me the most. It's the fact that they weren't honest about the status of the production and that they knew there was no way there were going to be able to deliver by the date listed on the preorder page yet they continued to accept full payment for the bike. Maybe the founder just doesn't tell his employees what's going on and they have to cover for the lack of info but it's unprofessional. I regret ordering and feel duped for loaning Juiced $3k for six months. I plan on canceling if I can finish my new build before they ship. Considering that I have two or three months minimum before they deliver, I have a feeling I can beat them to it.

Yea not cool. That 6 month loan will be a 9-10 month loan if they can deliver by November/December. How about a free hydro brake upgrade?

Yea not cool. That 6 month loan will be a 9-10 month loan if they can deliver by November/December. How about a free hydro brake upgrade?
Yea... the founder mentioned offering a discount if we wanted to buy another bike. Maybe it's just me but that's not a very appealing offer.

Hyperfat's price is getting close to that of other comparable eBikes such as the mid-drive 1000 watt (upgradable to 2500w) Luna Fusion 1000 fat bike which is $100 more (plus $150 shipping) but includes 52v 17.7aH battery, bigger controller, SramX7, better tires and Hayes Hydraulic brakes. Juiced has a torque sensor (which is cool) and front suspension (though Mozo is on the low end) - https://lunacycle.com/luna-fusion-fat-ebike-khs-1000/.

And for a couple hundred more you can get the mid-drive Luna Fusion Deluxe 500 which gives you 2500watts, Front suspension, Hydro brakes, better tires and 52v 17.5aH battery - https://lunacycle.com/deluxe-fusion-500-fat-ebike/

When you factor in the $249 upgrade for the Hyperfat Hydraulic brakes (which is a must for this bike), the cost between the Hyperfat vs the 2 Luna's above is not that much different and you get a better overall ebike with either Luna even without the torque sensor.

Last edited:
I spoke to Tora yesterday at the ebike event at the Electric Bicycle Center in Fullerton. He said if you order right now, as it says on the website, expect an early-mid-November delivery. It sounded like the first, small batch just arrived in San Diego. I'm guessing they will go out soon. No idea what this means for those who ordered just after the Founders series, but I'm thinking a mid-October arrival for those (pure speculation on my part). Hope he brings us all up to date soon.

BTW rode the Cross Current S. What a kickass bike for the money. I rode the older 350 W Air Current a month or so ago, and it just destroys it in terms of power. Really impressive. Also, rode the new Air with 500 watts, and while better than the previous version, still lags behind the CCS.

I spoke to Tora yesterday at the ebike event at the Electric Bicycle Center in Fullerton. He said if you order right now, as it says on the website, expect an early-mid-November delivery. It sounded like the first, small batch just arrived in San Diego. I'm guessing they will go out soon. No idea what this means for those who ordered just after the Founders series, but I'm thinking a mid-October arrival for those (pure speculation on my part). Hope he brings us all up to date soon.

BTW rode the Cross Current S. What a kickass bike for the money. I rode the older 350 W Air Current a month or so ago, and it just destroys it in terms of power. Really impressive. Also, rode the new Air with 500 watts, and while better than the previous version, still lags behind the CCS.

Thanks for the update. The issue and the reason nobody believes the target dates is that these bikes were originally promised for August back in July.

Even the CrossCurrent S which had a firm arrival date in the US (8/22) is just creeping out, with nobody on the thread for this bike reporting a shipment unless they had pre-ordered the previous model.

I'm inclined to assume good faith from a small shop like this, but their excuse before, at least for the Hyperfats, was that Tora was in China. He's not anymore. Re: the CCS - they have just under 300 bikes to get out. Unless the QC wasn't done in china or a lot needs to be done in the US, I don't see how those couldn't have hit UPS by now (it's been 5-6 days).

If we're all wrong about everything we're bitching about, well, this is the place they could weigh in. So far they've just weighed in with flashy videos of the bikes we haven't gotten yet. As others have pointed out on the thread - this is a competitive market and there are a lot of choices. I wish they'd show a little more respect for the people that believed in the bikes enough to pre-order.

I placed my order inthe beginning of August when lead time still said September. So Tora what is it? also what does this mean:
Please Note: Existing pre-orders are not effected by the change in price. If you have a existing pre-order, nothing will change for your order.
All bikes now come with 1,000W controller, Air Suspension Fork, Torque Sensor, LCD display, as STANDARD equipment and this is reflected in the price increase.
Will I not get 1000W controller? I did add on all the options. Also it said all bikes will get front suspension.

Back