Power Loss

ebott

I am having an issue on my 2018 CCX. On occasion, when I hit my brakes, I lose power. After a few seconds, the power is restored, but in the meantime and depending what the situation when it fails, it can get very frustrating. I can't tell if it is the left or right brake or when both are engaged. I have tested the various combinations with no failures. Then when I least expect it, no power after braking. I know there is a connection between cruise and the brakes. However I never use cruise. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing this to happen?

When you apply the break brake you activate the motor cutoff and it is more than likely sticking in the cutoff position. Try tapping it and see if that unsticks it.
If you want to disconnect the motor cutout just disconnect the electrical wire from it. Your brake will still work but it will not cut off power to the motor.
I suspect you will need a new unit.

The online specs don't mention it, but it probably has a throttle cut off in one of the brake levers that most likely disengages speed control as well. There will be a second cable to this brake lever for the electrical connection. It's usually just a small mechanical switch that could be sticking causing your problem.

You should be able to unplug one end of the electricl cable to the brake lever and test the bike with the switch out of the circuit. In my DIY bike I had to jumper the pins at the brake cable to simulate the brake not being pulled. If the bike works normally, it's the switch. You'd probably need to replace the brake lever as well.

Back