Popped my rear wheel

Cdonovin

Region
USA
IMG_9456.jpeg

Well I thought I had this wheel in yesterday but the torque literally pulled the wheel out of the drop outs I thought I had it locked down tight..any suggestions as to what I may have done wrong.. the bike is a older trek the hub is a 72v 3000watt

Attachments

• IMG_9458.jpeg
    IMG_9458.jpeg
    302.5 KB · Views: 37
I do not know what that is "securing' the torque arm, but it appears to be a flimsy tag. Or perhaps a shredded worm type hose clamp.
I use a #10-32 screw through a 1" wide 16 ga steel clamp I cut out of a box fan shell. I cut the steel with a weiss snip. Use kevlar gloves. I wrap the clamp around the frame strut. Real steel screws are sold by mcmaster.com https://www.mcmaster.com/91400A833
I use elastic stop nuts so they do not fall off. https://www.mcmaster.com/91831A411/
13/64" drills will make the holes to fit the #10 screws. https://www.mcmaster.com/2901A121 Use safety glasses when using power tools.
My torque arm is 4" long made of bed frame steel. With that short a torque arm, you may need 5/16" diameter security bolt. Or at least 1/4-28 .

Last edited:
thank you for the info and yes a worm drive hose clamp.. would it be possible to take a picture of your torque arm setup. I saw the drill bit that's a mighty small hole 13/64 and you put that thru your bike frame...?? just curious and it will not compromise the metal? I look forward to your picture
Chris

On bmx bikes use Dia-Compe hinged seat clamps to secure coaser brake arms. I currently don't have a picture of the setup but those clamps are crazy sturdy and I've never see one fail. I would think it would also work great on a torque arm.

I saw the drill bit that's a mighty small hole 13/64 and you put that thru your bike frame...?? just curious and it will not compromise the metal?
Pictures are made by devices made in *****. I do not buy things made in *****.
I put the screw through a hole drilled in the torque arm, and through holes drilled in the clamp. The clamp wraps the bike frame. No holes are drilled in the bike frame. I put the clamp in the direction so the fold pulls on the bike frame when the axle is pulling.

I used the grin torque arm and used 3 hose clamps on both sides and triple checked lug tightness. Will see how it goes

Attachments

• IMG_9483.jpeg
    IMG_9483.jpeg
    324.2 KB · Views: 39
Ive drilled a hole to accept the little tag on the torque washers after grinding it down to fit, it holds the spindle in place even if its not tight enough.

Screenshot_20240911-183608-239.png

I haven’t ridden yet as I am relatively new to this hobby (less than a year) I‘m trying to get advice before I start riding. The other question is there a proper placement of these torque arms above the frame below the frame..
chargeride I’m not wrapping my brain around your pictures of the washers and the drilling your talking about could you take a picture

Yeah, but its pretty well a diy standard
my friend had a melt down when he was hurting ,about the big ugly clamp i used on a torque arm,his solution ,remove it and replace with around 3 wire ties( plastic ones that last a very short time) btw i had a stator run out on a bike i got from him,assumed the axle nuts were tight,guess i learned something there. the same time i splintered a tarsal on that bike that he got back( i rebuilt it much better than before)

Ive drilled a hole to accept the little tag on the torque washers after grinding it down to fit, it holds the spindle in place even if its not tight enough.

View attachment 182191
i used to make sure the lug engaged the slot.( which could spread it i suppose) nowadays i buy premade,spent enough money already trying to make an economical better ebike.

my friend had a melt down when he was hurting ,about the big ugly clamp i used on a torque arm,

I was searching AliExpress for some kind of clamp that isn't so big and ugly and found these metal zip ties used for exhaust systems,..

Screenshot_20240912-071704_AliExpress.jpg

They come in different widths and lengths and they come in black too,..

Screenshot_20240912-072517_AliExpress.jpg

I didn't get any, so I don't know how good they are but I figure that they are stronger than nylon zip ties?
And they should look a lot better than those butt ugly hose clamps. 😂

Drove the bike slowly for the first couple miles I had some quick 10-20 mph acceleration and some dead start full throttle 0-20mph runs I did about 5 miles I rechecked the torque arms and bolts and even the hose clamps there all tight and no movement anywhere

Back