Poll... How is your Stromer holding up?

How reliable is your Stromer?

• Horrible.. Is this the Fiat of Electric Bikes?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I went to my local bike shop (Austin Tx) and the tech said that they get an unusual amount of Stromers in for repair. He said that they no longer sell Stromers because of the quality issues they've been seeing. I saw two in the back getting worked on-an ST2 and ST1. He did not specify what kinds of repairs but it was enough to dissuade me from buying the ST2 which I was set on until then!

I went to my local bike shop (Austin Tx) and the tech said that they get an unusual amount of Stromers in for repair. He said that they no longer sell Stromers because of the quality issues they've been seeing. I saw two in the back getting worked on-an ST2 and ST1. He did not specify what kinds of repairs but it was enough to dissuade me from buying the ST2 which I was set on until then!

Rocket electrics?

My bike shop still carries Stromers even though about 18 mos ago the manager told me they were not selling them anymore due to issues with Stromer management and, while they were still servicing Stromers for normal bike-related issues, I'd have to seek help elsewhere for issues with the motor/computer. I didn't ask details, but it sounded as though Stromer was difficult to work with in getting Stromer parts etc. Then when I returned six months later, the shop was back to dealing with Stromer.

This Summer will be four years that I've had my Stromer and I really love it, although I've come to accept that issues with the motor and computer will pop up now and then. I just wonder how e-bikes with similar down-tube batteries are faring (such as Specialized) and whether or not they experience similar issues, if anyone out there has heard anything.

Yes Rocket Electrics.

John n Nicole are certainly nice people. They have excellent reputation when it comes to their tours but I wouldn't take their word.
Stromer is a great bike but it can be high maintenance at times. If you take care of it meticulously, they certainly serve you well.
Their earlier models had motor problems but that has changed significantly.

If you're looking for a solid, good quality bike that doesn't break your bank, take a look at Easy motion bikes. I have never had any trouble.
What bikes have impressed you in your test rides so far?

John n Nicole are certainly nice people. They have excellent reputation when it comes to their tours but I wouldn't take their word.
Stromer is a great bike but it can be high maintenance at times. If you take care of it meticulously, they certainly serve you well.
Their earlier models had motor problems but that has changed significantly.

If you're looking for a solid, good quality bike that doesn't break your bank, take a look at Easy motion bikes. I have never had any trouble.
What bikes have impressed you in your test rides so far?
I haven't tested any bikes-I've read a lot and went in to Rocket Electrics to try out the Stromer when the guy told me that they don't sell them anymore. I'm 6 ft tall and 270 lbs and need a bike that I can take on very simple trails and leisure riding. I have a nice green belt behind my house with a challenging trail but I'm not sure I can find a bike to handle my weight on a fierce trail. Range and power is what I want (like most folks) and I was told that the Stromer ST2 was the bike for me-until I walked into Rocket! The ST2 has no suspension so I'm not sure how it would perform on trails.
The price point is not an issue-I want a bike that can accommodate my needs with comfort, power and adequate range. I like everything I've read about Haibikes but I was told that they only support about 260 lbs for the Xduro FS RX.

5000 miles on my st1, such minor problems- I can't even remember them. 1500 miles on my st2- no problems. Stromer USA and BikeAttack in L.A. have done excellent job on any little issues I have had.
My Stromer experience has been excellent! As far as suspension goes, I have both brands of seat posts- both work well. And for the front- the orphaned 26" wheel has led to a buyers market for quality forks. Ive got rockshox reba, they are great.

I can only hope my next eBike is as reliable as my 2014 Stromer Elite, (the one that supposedly is not reliable). It's been just about perfect.

Glad to hear positive feedback on Stromer-just purchased an (ST2) and waiting for delivery. Thank you Ravi and Lenny.

Last edited:
@Suhail I think you're going to be right at the top of the weight limits of the best full sus bikes in general...I'm well over any of them so wouldn't even consider it for myself!

That said, a nice hardtail 29er will more than likely suit your intended riding anyway. If you still want some rest comfort, a thud buster or suntour suspension seat should be more than adequate. I agree with Ravi, you can't go wrong with an essay motion bike, I have the evo snow awd and it is a lot of fun. The haibike sduro line would be a nice choice as well. I got to ride one today and it was really nice considering you'll save a grand or more over the Bosch drive (which was also nice! Had the chance to visit @Crazy Lenny Ebikes this afternoon).

Anyway, good luck with your decision!

@Suhail I think you're going to be right at the top of the weight limits of the best full sus bikes in general...I'm well over any of them so wouldn't even consider it for myself!

That said, a nice hardtail 29er will more than likely suit your intended riding anyway. If you still want some rest comfort, a thud buster or suntour suspension seat should be more than adequate. I agree with Ravi, you can't go wrong with an essay motion bike, I have the evo snow awd and it is a lot of fun. The haibike sduro line would be a nice choice as well. I got to ride one today and it was really nice considering you'll save a grand or more over the Bosch drive (which was also nice! Had the chance to visit @Crazy Lenny Ebikes this afternoon).

Anyway, good luck with your decision!
Thank you for the input. I was looking at the 2016 29er but ended up with a Easy Motion 650B since it has the 500W and 48V specs. Lenny got my business and can't wait for the bikes to arrive soon.

I bought my Stromer ST1 Platinum on Dec 26th, 2014. I am right at 6000 miles right now. Absolutely the best purchase I ever made. I have not had any real issues and self maintain the bike (saves a lot of money, YouTube is a wonderful thing).

Today was my first real concern, I was on a 45 mile ride and towards the end of my ride, started getting a "No Comm" error message. The bike would shut down (although, still power to the controller), so would stop, remove and replace battery, then start back up. At first, it would only make it 100 or so yards, so I went into Eco mode and was able to make it back home. I do have my settings maxed out because I like speed (torque sensor set to 90% and typically ride in power mode).

Has anyone ran into this issue and what seems to be the most common problem (I have read the trouble shooting guide from Stromer, and is pretty vague)?

Before, anyone ask, I have a spare battery, which is why I can make it so far with the above settings.

Thanks in advance.

I just purchased a ST1 T and it's due to arrive this week. Keeping my fingers crossed I'll have a trouble-free experience, but after reading this forum I'm concerned. I'll give an update once I get it on the road.

I was really excited about the sale of the Stromer ST1 V1 bikes and picked the Elite version last Tuesday. Drove it out the store and not even 2 kilometers in to the ride the chain snapped off. Got it back to the store and they installed a new chain. Took it to work and back next day and I have to say riding this bike was the most uncomfortable ride I ever had. My lower back and my shoulders were killing me. Next day I took it to work (12km ride) and on my lunch break I wanted to go and pick up some food and some 50 meters in to the ride I get No_Comm error, showing battery empty (it was at 80%). Had to pedal the thing back to the store with no assist and leave it there overnight. They were really great about it and gave me a loaner to tie me over until they fix the issue. Next day I called in to check what the issue was and they told me that the motor needs to be replaced. At that point I returned the loaner and got a full refund. I was quite disappointed and was expecting something more reliable from Stromer.

I found the riding experience to be lacking. I am not sure why the bike has 4 assist levels because city/tour/power all felt the same. I could bring the bike to it's max speed on city with very little exertion and could not see any difference in other 2 modes. It came with 14Ah battery which is supposed to give you longer range but I found the rate of discharge after my daily commute does not support that claim. After doing my commute of some 24 km the battery would be almost down to 50% and I never changed in to higher assists than City.

Last edited:
Would like to know how others are doing with their Stromers.

If the thread allows, try to include the Year, the number of miles and major issues you have had.

Thank you.
I've had my stromer for 5 years and over 3500 miles. I've replaced the motor and the cadence sensor (by my bike shop)
Its my go to hauler when I need to go over 35 miles (I carry an extra battery) . Would I buy another, no. I just bought a Sondor for my wife and honestly its far superior in performance and fun than the stormer.

You guys are making me wonder about buying a stromer st1 I want one but now I'm not sure this is 2015 do they have most of the bugs you are talking about fixed and is the company going to be here in the future. I am a big strong guy and can push bike parts to the braking point and do try to ride with finesse but when the adrenilin kicks in look out parts. Is this really the bike for me
I have had a stromer for 5 years. I just bought my wife a Sondors Fatty since we live in the country. We bought it online, assembled it ourselves. I weigh 235 lbs and have ridden the bike every day to town for shopping and the mail ( 13 miles rond trip) the bike with freight cost me $800.00 . The bike is a blast, and the Sondors forum is terrific. I am about to sell my Stromer with 3 batteries and a body float seat for $1000.00 and buy another Sondor. ( I have over 200 miles on it in 3 weeks )

ST-1 Platinum. 14 months, 5,000 miles. 3rd chain, 2nd cassette, 2nd set of brake pads. Upgraded tires to schwalbe marathon plus - no flats in 3500 miles since I put them on. 205lbs, Bodyfloat seat post, pedal hard. No battery or motor problems. I ride in city mode 30% on a windy path with stops at 24mph avg for 25 miles r/t. 34% battery left in warm weather, 10-20% left in cold weather. Rear red toplight cover with city kit fell off long ago and ignored. Keep your battery warm until needed. Don't expect to get top performance if you leave your bike in a cold garage. Happy with this beast.

ST-1 Platinum. 14 months, 5,000 miles. 3rd chain, 2nd cassette, 2nd set of brake pads. Upgraded tires to schwalbe marathon plus - no flats in 3500 miles since I put them on. 205lbs, Bodyfloat seat post, pedal hard. No battery or motor problems. I ride in city mode 30% on a windy path with stops at 24mph avg for 25 miles r/t. 34% battery left in warm weather, 10-20% left in cold weather. Rear red toplight cover with city kit fell off long ago and ignored. Keep your battery warm until needed. Don't expect to get top performance if you leave your bike in a cold garage. Happy with this beast.
5k in 14 months!! Very impressive!

I just purchased a ST1 T and it's due to arrive this week. Keeping my fingers crossed I'll have a trouble-free experience, but after reading this forum I'm concerned. I'll give an update once I get it on the road.

10,000 USA MILES on my Stromer ST2

Don't worry
to many haters
Stromer Warranty is Great If you by from good retailer with well trained service technicians.
IMG_3593.PNG

Back