Police training and use considerations for duty electric bicycles

J.R.

Region
USA
City
Piedmont Highlands
Ebikes are getting more mainstream everyday. Interesting article from and to law enforcement officers.

Screenshot_20210911-084948_Chrome.jpg

Urban centers will surely see more cops on ebikes. I expect it won't be long before we see rangers on ebikes at popular trails and paths before long. The C&O Path, the G.A.P. Trail and other destination tails will surely adopt ebikes for first responders. If and when this happens, I wonder if public charging stations will follow?

Does your town have ebike patrol officers? Have you seen any cops on ebikes? Is it a viable program? Will it help advance adoption and infrastructure?

Will be interesting if they get Class 3 ebikes and ride them on sidewalks and bike trails. That looks like a class 3 ebike in the picture. Hopefully they'll just get federally compliant "low speed electric bikes" and ignore the 3-class system / legislation.

Ebikes are getting more mainstream everyday. Interesting article from and to law enforcement officers.

View attachment 99654

Urban centers will surely see more cops on ebikes. I expect it won't be long before we see rangers on ebikes at popular trails and paths before long. The C&O Path, the G.A.P. Trail and other destination tails will surely adopt ebikes for first responders. If and when this happens, I wonder if public charging stations will follow?

Does your town have ebike patrol officers? Have you seen any cops on ebikes? Is it a viable program? Will it help advance adoption and infrastructure?
Ambulance call ?

Ambulance call ?
Love that! Where there's a will.... then a need... the ideas will follow. I think we have more open minded people than the mass media would have us believe 🤔

Pittsburgh:

Love that! Where there's a will.... then a need... the ideas will follow. I think we have more open minded people than the mass media would have us believe 🤔

Pittsburgh:

Tangentially related. Maybe.

View attachment 99654

@Saratoga Dave . I just wanted to give you a shout to be sure you had a chance to see this.

we have quite a few officers on bikes and ebikes around here. i’m not sure if they’re the equivalent of foot patrol or special purpose (e.g. suicide prevention on the bridge) but i think it’s great. gives you the community value of a foot patrol with a little increased range.

and i’m sure they don’t have to abide by whatever regulations apply to eBikes, just as an officer is entirely entitled to speed if needed to stop a crime or catch a suspect.

Last edited:
I saw that. Silly people, silly world🙊🙉🙈
Silly isn't the word I'd use. But that's the world as it is. And that's why special purpose bikes that fit a niche well are so important.

Back