Please Help with my Haibike!!!!!

Bob Schober

Hey Guys I am new to this forum and just bought my first mid drive. I bought a 2016 haibike sduro used with only 140 miles on it. The only thing I am not happy with is that it gives me push back when I hit about 21 mph. How can I make this thing go faster. If it had a top speed of around 35 and also had a throttle it would be the best bike made. Any suggestions on getting more out of the motor? Also who makes a bike that goes around 35 with pedal assist and throttle.

Thanks any help is appreciated

Hey Guys I am new to this forum and just bought my first mid drive. I bought a 2016 haibike sduro used with only 140 miles on it. The only thing I am not happy with is that it gives me push back when I hit about 21 mph. How can I make this thing go faster. If it had a top speed of around 35 and also had a throttle it would be the best bike made. Any suggestions on getting more out of the motor? Also who makes a bike that goes around 35 with pedal assist and throttle.

Thanks any help is appreciated
Well, its obviously speed limiting to the 21 MPH. You are not going to get more out of the motor, unless you are able to set the internal limit higher. (and that may be the max, depending what the amps of the controller are rated at.) Which model of SDuro did you buy? (there were 6 in 2016). Also your top speed is going to be dependent upon voltage, gear ratios, and watt output. For example, to consistently get to 28 mph, you'll need at least 500 watts (preferably 750 watts), and 48 volts, but even then, 28 mph is a reach for most 500 watt motors. No way are any of the mid-drives that Haibike makes going to get you to 35 mph. Sduro's are more about torque, and hill climbing, not top end speed. You chose the wrong bike if you want higher top speed. And no one is going to legally be able to sell you anything using just the throttle, that goes above 20 mph. You could probably get to 35 mph with pedal assist, but its going to take more wattage than is legally permitted on the streets, which is 750 watt max. You're really talking about something closer to an electric motor-cycle to hit 35 mph. Luna cycle could probably custom build you an ebike that has 2500 watts worth of motor, and can hit 35 mph. But it would not be street legal, and would require to be registered as a motor cycle, and you need proof of insurance, or just ride on private property. I doubt any manufacturer in their right mind, would want the liability of building you anything above 28 mph, for street purposes, unless it gets registered as a motorized vehicle.

Which model exactly? I have a FatSix and installed an RS-Speed chip to overcome its 20MPH restriction. I cruise on asphalt at a comfortable 22MPH in Eco now...the 2MPH makes a world of difference, and can hit 30MPH if a tornado's coming, but the gear-ratio is so high, that I have to pedal like a maniac to go that fast.

Sounds like you need to go the DIY route, Bob. The Haibikes are nice riding bikes but all are speed limited. Perhaps a Bafang BBSHD 1000 watt mid drive with a 52 Volt battery would be more your speed. They are pedal assist and come with a throttle if you want. However, this build is not technically street legal.

If it had a top speed of around 35 and also had a throttle it would be the best bike made.

and it also wouldn't be a "bike" anymore ;)
You want a speed-pedelec. They top out at 28 mph, some have throttle also, which tops out at 20 mph w/o pedaling. Anything over 28 is a DIY project and not street legal, I believe (various by states and cities).

Well, its obviously speed limiting to the 21 MPH. You are not going to get more out of the motor, unless you are able to set the internal limit higher. (and that may be the max, depending what the amps of the controller are rated at.) Which model of SDuro did you buy? (there were 6 in 2016). Also your top speed is going to be dependent upon voltage, gear ratios, and watt output. For example, to consistently get to 28 mph, you'll need at least 500 watts (preferably 750 watts), and 48 volts, but even then, 28 mph is a reach for most 500 watt motors. No way are any of the mid-drives that Haibike makes going to get you to 35 mph. Sduro's are more about torque, and hill climbing, not top end speed. You chose the wrong bike if you want higher top speed. And no one is going to legally be able to sell you anything using just the throttle, that goes above 20 mph. You could probably get to 35 mph with pedal assist, but its going to take more wattage than is legally permitted on the streets, which is 750 watt max. You're really talking about something closer to an electric motor-cycle to hit 35 mph. Luna cycle could probably custom build you an ebike that has 2500 watts worth of motor, and can hit 35 mph. But it would not be street legal, and would require to be registered as a motor cycle, and you need proof of insurance, or just ride on private property. I doubt any manufacturer in their right mind, would want the liability of building you anything above 28 mph, for street purposes, unless it gets registered as a motorized vehicle.
I had a Mustang (Hallo Motors) before this that went 35mph just on the throttle alone and got about 50 mile son the charge. It was really heavy and felt more like a dirt bike than a mountain bike. I got an Sduro allmtn rc. If nothing else how do i bypass the pushback once im going over 21 mph

Sounds like you need to go the DIY route, Bob. The Haibikes are nice riding bikes but all are speed limited. Perhaps a Bafang BBSHD 1000 watt mid drive with a 52 Volt battery would be more your speed. They are pedal assist and come with a throttle if you want. However, this build is not technically street legal.
I came across Luna Cycles. It looks like they offer a build with the specs you just mentioned. Im not worried about street legal as this would be for off road use only ;)

Can anyone recommend any reputable custom bike builders that could put that together and has anyone ever purchased from Luna? Looks like they have what im looking for .

@Fitzy provided the answer above. The Bikespeed RS dongle from Germany overcomes the 20mph limit of the Haibike's governor. I have been using one on my 2016 Haibike Sduro AllMtn Plus for nearly a year, and it works well. It cost about $135 at the time. Here is a link to their website. Just make sure you order the appropriate dongle, depending on whether you have a Yamaha, Bosch, or Brose motor.

You may have to change your chainring to achieve 35mph, as @Fitzy also noted.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to add a throttle to Haibikes.

Yep...got it a year ago this week; love it. It overrides the limit in all modes. Very rarely, the odometer will glitch, and show a historical "Max. Speed" of like 50MPH...the mileage however is accurate. Speedometer has always been accurate. As I'd mentioned, I find I rarely go over 22MPH, but that extra allowance means a lot. Can get it up to 30MPH in an emergency. The FatSix isn't built for speed, and its gearing-ratio reflects this.

Has anyone using one of the Bikespeed RS noticed any problems long term? Any glitches besides the rare odometer glitch noted above? I'm seriously considering purchasing a Haibike with the Yamaha PW because the Bosch hitting the 20mph speed limit is like hitting a wall, the Yamaha felt better to me but still the 20mph limit is just shy of where I want to be while riding.

Has anyone using one of the Bikespeed RS noticed any problems long term? Any glitches besides the rare odometer glitch noted above? I'm seriously considering purchasing a Haibike with the Yamaha PW because the Bosch hitting the 20mph speed limit is like hitting a wall, the Yamaha felt better to me but still the 20mph limit is just shy of where I want to be while riding.
As I mentioned above, I have been using a Bikespeed RS dongle for a year on my Haibike/Yamaha PW. No problems whatsoever. It is a good product.

I think between three different bikes in my commute club we now have a combined mileage of over 6000 miles running BikespeedRS. We all started running it last year with no reported glitches other than the wacky top speed. The speedometer is accurate at all speeds.

Back