Platform Bike Rack for Bike with Fenders

98xlt98

Not sure if I should buy a rack that grabs the front tire, or a rack that grabs the frame? Can a "grabs the front tire" work with fenders? I have seen some pictures here that looks like it will, but looking for more opinions. My bikes will have the step thru design, so I am concerned about a rack that "grabs the frame" and then I need to use a bike frame adapter. Do some people just shorten the frame so the "grabs the front tire" rack will work?
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...=2ahUKEwjKmYbBiantAhUirlkKHYakBAUQ0Qx6BAgHEAE

I have fenders on two bikes and have a Yakima rack with the hook that goes over the front tire.
It works OK. I adjusted the fenders up as high as they go and I can work the arm under the fender.
They want you to get the hook back against the fork as much as possible, and I can't get it that far back, but its close.

Also the fenders chew up the plastic cover a bit, but it doesn't bother me.

Thule easyfold xt 2

Attachments

• P_20200808_130320.jpg
    P_20200808_130320.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 1,409
We are also looking for a hitch rack that will work with my wife's Trek Allant 7 ebike with fenders. Some dealers say the Thule T-2 Pro XT will work. A Thule representative and several other dealers say to not use that but to use the Thule Easy Fold XT2. Is anybody using the T-2? As I understand the problem with the T-2 is that because of the fenders you can't get the ratcheting arm up high enough on the tire. I have read a couple online reviews about the Easy Fold where people mentioned they had a problem with the arm that attaches to the bike frame coming loose and dragging the bike behind the rack. Also there is the potential of the arm that attaches to the frame scuffing up the paint. Does anyone have experience with these bike racks that they could share with me or are they other bike racks you would recommend? We had hoped to find a rack that would not attach to the frame, only the tires but because of the fenders, that may not be possible.

I have used an Easyfold XT for almost three years without incident. Those dragging episodes were most definitely caused by user error. Three whole rack can be tilted back with the bikes loaded on them in order to open a tailgate on a minivan or suv. It can be lifted back to verticle but has to be snapped back into place. Neglect doing so and it will be pushed back by the airstream once you get moving. It is very well designed, quite convenient with its ramp and locking mechanisms, compact enough to be out in a trunk and holds fendered bike quite well.
20190113_092442.jpg

The 1UP USA rack is perfect for my step through frame with fenders. There is one contact point on each tire and none on the frame itself. The spool that contacts the tire is adjustable (7 different positions) so that you can select the position that it contacts the tire.

1UP USA also offers foam rollers that cover the spools so that you can position the spool against the fender if you choose. I did that for the first 18 months and it held my bike very securely and did no damage to fender. I only recently lowered the rear spool so that it contacts the tire below the fender and I like this position a little better.

My rack is the 2" Super Duty Single rated for up to 75 lbs and weighs 28 lbs. It comes in a reusable shipping box that is nice to store the rack in when not in use. You can put up to 2 add ons onto the single for a total of up to 3 bikes.

I have the optional ramp that makes loading heavy ebikes easier. This is my second rack from 1UP USA and I am 100% satisfied with the racks and the company. 1UP USA racks are lightweight, fold up compactly for easy storage, extremely quick & easy to load & unload, and hold bikes very securely.

Attachments

• IMG_1219.JPG
    IMG_1219.JPG
    326.6 KB · Views: 1,498
  • IMG_1220.JPG
    IMG_1220.JPG
    380.2 KB · Views: 1,745
  • IMG_1221.JPG
    IMG_1221.JPG
    972.9 KB · Views: 1,435

The 1UP USA rack is perfect for my step through frame with fenders. There is one contact point on each tire and none on the frame itself. The spool that contacts the tire is adjustable (7 different positions) so that you can select the position that it contacts the tire.

1UP USA also offers foam rollers that cover the spools so that you can position the spool against the fender if you choose. I did that for the first 18 months and it held my bike very securely and did no damage to fender. I only recently lowered the rear spool so that it contacts the tire below the fender and I like this position a little better.

My rack is the 2" Super Duty Single rated for up to 75 lbs and weighs 28 lbs. It comes in a reusable shipping box that is nice to store the rack in when not in use. You can put up to 2 add ons onto the single for a total of up to 3 bikes.

I have the optional ramp that makes loading heavy ebikes easier. This is my second rack from 1UP USA and I am 100% satisfied with the racks and the company. 1UP USA racks are lightweight, fold up compactly for easy storage, extremely quick & easy to load & unload, and hold bikes very securely.
Thanks for the response. I had not seen this rack. I wonder if they make a rack for ebikes that weigh 54#? I will check it out>

I have used an Easyfold XT for almost three years without incident. Those dragging episodes were most definitely caused by user error. Three whole rack can be tilted back with the bikes loaded on them in order to open a tailgate on a minivan or suv. It can be lifted back to verticle but has to be snapped back into place. Neglect doing so and it will be pushed back by the airstream once you get moving. It is very well designed, quite convenient with its ramp and locking mechanisms, compact enough to be out in a trunk and holds fendered bike quite well.
View attachment 80489
View attachment 80489
Thanks for your response. Glad to hear they are working well for you. They are certainly near the top of our list. Any problems with the bikes touching each other? Is there enough adjustment so I don't have to be changing saddle position all the time?

Never a problem with bikes touching. I remove my leather saddle when transporting and put a rubber plug in the seat tube to keep the rain out.

X2 on the Easyfold. I've had mine for 1.5 years and have traveled over 8,000 miles with 0 problems. The Arm attachments are solid. I have 2 sets of arms for the long trips but its not necessary. The ramp, IMHO, is a joke. I lift mine on one wheel at a time. You need to consider a taillight kit with it. I permanently mounted a set on the rack and have a different set for the cover I have. Taillights are definitely obstructed.

I second the 1Up bike racks. Ours are 10 years old and still going strong. We carry two Specialized Comos with fenders each weighing slightly under 50 pounds with no problem. The bikes don't touch anywhere. I did buy some heavy duty 2" velcro strapping and wrap a piece around each wheel and the tray to really stabilize them.

View attachment 80489

I tried out the Saris Superclamp EX2 yesterday and was disappointed. The LBS installed the rack, my wife's Trek Allant 7 ebike and my hybrid bike. The bikes and rack stick out about 5 inches past the mirror on the drivers side and about 3 inches on passenger side. This is on a Subaru Forster. I am concerned about this as we have a narrow road with lots of guard rails and semi traffic that we travel a lot. There seems to be minimal adjustment. The bike trays are 9 inches apart which seems quite close. If I had another ebike I wonder if it would even work on this rack. The person doing the installation did not seem concerned about any of this. Does any part of your bike or rack extend beyond the width of the car or car mirrors. What kind of vehicle do you have. The Forester may not be as wide as some vehicles. Any problem with the bikes touching on the racks? I think the Thule has 9 inch spacing also. Do you use foam in certain places for protection?

I tried out the Saris Superclamp EX2 yesterday and was disappointed. The LBS installed the rack, my wife's Trek Allant 7 ebike and my hybrid bike. The bikes and rack stick out about 5 inches past the mirror on the drivers side and about 3 inches on passenger side. This is on a Subaru Forster. I am concerned about this as we have a narrow road with lots of guard rails and semi traffic that we travel a lot. There seems to be minimal adjustment. The bike trays are 9 inches apart which seems quite close. If I had another ebike I wonder if it would even work on this rack. The person doing the installation did not seem concerned about any of this. Does any part of your bike or rack extend beyond the width of the car or car mirrors. What kind of vehicle do you have. The Forester may not be as wide as some vehicles. Any problem with the bikes touching on the racks? I think the Thule has 9 inch spacing also. Do you use foam in certain places for protection?
I put two heavy and rather long Riese & Muller bikes on my Thule Easyfold XT and have no problem with them touching each other facing opposite directions. No part of the rack extends beyond the sides of the car (Mercedes wagon). About three or four inches of each tire extend beyond the sides of the car but not beyond the mirror. The second photo was taken on the back of a Subaru Tribeca, a little bigger than a Forester. This shows the width of the rack as well as how the bike fits.

20200212_093430.jpg

20180728_091855.jpg

I put two heavy and rather long Riese & Muller bikes on my Thule Easyfold XT and have no problem with them touching each other facing opposite directions. No part of the rack extends beyond the sides of the car (Mercedes wagon). About three or four inches of each tire extend beyond the sides of the car but not beyond the mirror. The second photo was taken on the back of a Subaru Tribeca, a little bigger than a Forester. This shows the width of the rack as well as how the bike fits.

View attachment 80839

View attachment 80840

View attachment 80839

View attachment 80840

View attachment 80839

View attachment 80840
Thanks much for sharing your experience and the great pictures!

Back