People for Bikes: Progress on Ebike Laws in the US

As usual, legislation like SB 1271 fails to address minute technical details. Where possible, the industry will just "spin" the stats to comply. It will however, create a lot of business for the testing labs. In the short term, the bill will most certainly impact e-bike sales in the state of California. Since the bill doesn't affect existing bike owners, it might be a good time to invest in LBS just across the border.
still not sure how/why. are you saying it’s going to be really hard to test/certify a battery?

the majority of the population of california lives nowhere near (like hundreds of miles from) the border. i don’t think people from san francisco or los angeles are hitting up LBS in reno and las vegas!

unless you mean san diego and tijuana 😂

In everything I have read so far, there is NO Grandfather cause, only the Jan 26 date for bikes, battery's, and chargers, I can't find anything on repairing etc.
After Jan 26, if and when anything goes wrong with the bike, battery or charger, you are SOL, about the only thing to do repair it your self or put it in the dumpster, unless all of the items have the cert stamp.
ymmv

Back