People are strange.... Free ebike.

sc00ter

Region
USA
City
Norfolk, VA
My co-worker works a part time job at Walmart. He sees an older guy (mid to late 50's) riding a cheap mountain bike to Walmart. This guy goes a good distance of 7 miles and has a few bridges to cross. My co-worker has a Addmotor he rarely rides and feels sorry for the cheap mountain bike guy. So I tell my co-worker that I rarely ride my XP 3.0 and he can try both and pick the one he likes. He asked the guy "Have you ever considered a ebike?" and the guy goes "They're to fast!" but my co-worker brings the Addmotor to Walmart anyways. The guy won't even try it, as in zero interest. So my co-worker ended up selling the Addmotor for $200 to anther person. I still have the XP sitting in the garage.

If anyone has been keeping notes I'm NOT EVER offering a ebike to the guy who lost his leg again, the one I gave my old RadRunner to. I guess some people just enjoy taking forever to get to places?

My sister is a year younger than me, same way,won't try my girlfriends eather, I feel sorry for her when we hit a 20 mph head wind.

People fear novelty or change.
I for example don't like any music more modern than what was around when I was a teenager in the '70s.
At least nobody's suggesting e-bikers be burned like they used to do witches.

Ride often with a neighbor with 3 non-motorized bikes, including his default — a gorgeous all-Campy Italian road bike well under 20 lb. Wouldn't try my ebike. Not sure he even wanted to be seen with it.

But after falling behind consistently on some hilly local routes (with me at only PAS 1/9), he started talking about maybe getting a cheap ebike. But only for a very specific purpose, mind you: Ride downhill to the nearest beach (under 1 mile), have a few beers, and ride straight home (all uphill). Nowhere else, strictly utility — not a "real" ride.

After getting left behind many more times on his road bike, he broke down and bought an Aventon Level.2. Still just for the beer runs, of course.

Well, that was 8 months ago. Soon thereafter, he was riding the ebike exclusively — and with more assist than I typically use. Haven't seen the road bike since.

Ride often with a neighbor with 3 non-motorized bikes, including his default — a gorgeous all-Campy Italian road bike well under 20 lb. Wouldn't try my ebike. Not sure he even wanted to be seen with it.

But after falling behind consistently on some hilly local routes (with me at only PAS 1/9), he started talking about maybe getting a cheap ebike. But only for a very specific purpose, mind you: Ride downhill to the nearest beach (under 1 mile), have a few beers, and ride straight home (all uphill). Nowhere else, strictly utility — not a "real" ride.

After getting left behind many more times on his road bike, he broke down and bought an Aventon Level.2. Still just for the beer runs, of course.

Well, that was 8 months ago. Soon thereafter, he was riding the ebike exclusively — and with more assist than I typically use. Haven't seen the road bike since.
I've discussed previously my wife's refusal to try an ebike, even though I've offered to buy her a Gazelle (which I can find at a shop within easy walking distance). She's still maintaining that stance. But that just gave me an idea: next time she wants me to try something new, I'll try to bargain with her about trying the ebike.

I and Jerzy used to be friends for a long time. We often set off for rides together.

At a time, Jerzy passed 70. I offered I would lend him my Lovelec e-bike with no conditions whatsoever. Jerzy was apparently scared of riding an e-bike and solemnly declared: "I will ride my Wheeler traditional bike as long as my stamina allow it!"

I gave him a brand new set of new Specialized tyres (free!) The old ass tried those perfect rubbers and ordered to swap them for Continentals (as he did not like the feel of Spesh).

Eventually, we fell out because of the political reasons. The old ass couldn't take the loss of the political party he used to support in the general elections. Moreover, he even registered his car ride as a bike ride on Strava.

The man paid small money for a Wahoo ELEMNT bike GPS computer, and he still uses it. He paid chicken money for a PC I sold him, and he still uses that PC.

Everything has its end, even a friendship. The man was offered or given expensive things free and could not appreciate it.
Whatever is free is of no value.

The man was offered or given expensive things free and could not appreciate it.
Whatever is free is of no value.
In 1959, I had such a craving for camping gear that when a sexton was throwing away an old tarpaulin, I asked for it and sewed it into a tent. One day I came home from school and found on the porch the answer to my dreams: a tent, backpack with frame, rucksack, down-filled bag, gasoline stove, canteen, and cook kit. A man from hundreds of miles away had come to my father for guidance. He'd worked for nonprofit agencies, but his love of backpacking had kept him from staying in a career. He needed to turn over a new leaf. He asked if my father knew anyone who could use his gear. I was wealthy beyond my wildest dreams!

Fourteen years later, I took a 2-week vacation in which I toured 8,000 miles by motorcycle. My gear included the same tent, cook kit, canteen, sleeping bag, and stove. One morning in Yellowstone Park, I unzipped the tent and found that it was 14 F outside (-8 C). In the comfy tent, I hadn't known it was cold out. With a wool union suit and leathers, I was comfortable on my bike, too.

An hour later I hit a storm and rode the next thousand miles heeled way over into a gale force wind; I don't know if it was a blizzard because the snow accumulation was only a few inches. With the motorcycle as an anchor against the howling wind, I pitched the tent in the dark on snow-covered corn stubble, then slept comfortably. I sure appreciated that free tent!

Last edited:
In 1959, I had such a craving for camping gear that when a sexton was throwing away an old tarpaulin, I asked for it and sewed it into a tent. One day I came home from school and found on the porch the answer to my dreams: a tent, backpack with frame, rucksack, down-filled bag, gasoline stove, canteen, and cook kit. A man from hundreds of miles away had come to my father for guidance. He'd worked for nonprofit agencies, but his love of backpacking had kept him from staying in a career. He needed to turn over a new leaf. He asked if my father knew anyone who could use his gear. I was wealthy beyond my wildest dreams!

Fourteen years later, I took a 2-week vacation in which I toured 8,000 miles by motorcycle. My gear included the same tent, cook kit, canteen, sleeping bag, and stove. One morning in Yellowstone Park, I unzipped the tent and found that it was 14 F outside (-8 C). In the comfy tent, I hadn't known it was cold out. With a wool union suit and leathers, I was comfortable on my bike, too.

An hour later I hit a storm and rode the next thousand miles heeled way over into a gale force wind; I don't know if it was a blizzard because the snow accumulation was only a few inches. With the motorcycle as an anchor against the howling wind, I pitched the tent in the dark on snow-covered corn stubble, then slept comfortably. I sure appreciated that free tent!
love camping out as long as i can come home and go to bed, the old screwed up vertebrae dont like resting on cold hard surfaces,had enough discomfort when i used to work construction.

love camping out as long as i can come home and go to bed, the old screwed up vertebrae dont like resting on cold hard surfaces,had enough discomfort when i used to work construction.
I used an air mattress for insulation. A problem with using an air mattress for insulation is that if your weight isn't evenly distributed, the area where it's concentrated will sink and rest on the ground. This one solved the problem by cylinders two inches wide, individually inflated and inserted into a ripstop case. To save weight, it was only 4 feet long. A camper would put makeshift pillows under his head and feet.

Two years earlier I'd carried a regular air mattress on a 16,000 mile tour on a bike from 1961, when BMW still knew how to make real motorcycles; it was very similar to their 1923 model. I didn't like the bench seat, so I found an obsolete bicycle seat, which was a rusty pan without springs, and clamped it to the frame. The Alcan was 1300 miles of gravel. When I arrived, it was washed out because heavy rains had coincided with the spring runoff. There were troughs across the gravel wide and deep enough to hide a casket, and I couldn't see them in time to avoid slamming into the opposite side like a brick wall. That bike was built like a tank.

I arrived in Anchorage with a stiff back and volunteered to fight the Great Swamp Fire. They issued each of us a down-filled bag, a sheet of black plastic, a cord, a first-aid kit, a collapsible canteen, and a plastic hat. Then they flew us to the smoke jumper camp at McGrath, where we had to sleep on the ground with permafrost 7 inches down, and there was nothing available to put down for insulation. In the morning, my back pain would bring tears to my eyes. I gobbled aspirin and somehow found a hacksaw blade to cut the heels off my boots. I was still gobbling aspirin when I headed south a few weeks later. Hitting the open graves across the Alcan brought immediate relief, and the pain didn't return.

Back