Pedelec and P.A.S. (Pedal Assist Systems)

gv1

I would like to hear from owners and riders about PAS bikes, PAS programs, and your PAS experiences. Examples: Performance and Response to various riding conditions; Buttery Smooth or out of synch; Range of PAS options and programs available to the rider; Integration with the motor and bike setup (seamless or not); and Integration with the riding experience. I am very interested in the PAS on mid-drive bikes Bosch, Brose, Bafang (FLX). Also how do they compare to a good Hub drive PAS? It is not necessary to get into a battle of Throttle vs PAS in this thread. I would like to know your thoughts and opinions on just PAS and then maybe expand it to Throttle vs PAS or Throttle plus PAS in a future thread. Thanks to all. EBR rocks.

I only use throttle to cross busy streets, other wise it just sucks power like no tomorrow. Even light pedaling can give good range per amp on the battery so I keep pedaling. That said I plan to convert a trike for my mom and I suspect it will be on throttle %90 of the time. Me and my dad both bike and it will give her a reason to get out of the house more often.

Agree, Some PAS systems like Stromer, Haibike, Riese & Müller, Vintage Electric Cafe Bikes are buttery smooth and respond instantly to ride conditions and rider performance. These systems also deliver on most of the challenging performance demands. They have user friendly programs for all situations and create a great bicycle riding experience. Others are not as good, they strain motor performance, and ruin the overall bicycle riding experience. In these situations riders are forced to use the throttle more. A good PAS will encourage riders to pedal and still have fun. Throttles definitely have a role on MTBs and off-road.

Back