Pedaling backwards

zjerry

In my Bosch Performance Line (Batavus Sella with Deore derailer), when I turn the crank backwards the chain stays in place.
It's a strange feeling not encountered in previous bicycles I had.

Is it normal or is it a defect? How serious if so?

Otherwise the bike works perfectly.

That’s how the Bosch system works. The more technical people here can explain it, but it has to do with the with the small front chainring and the reduction gearing used in the motor. Normal for Bosch, if a little weird at first.

I should have know better than to have asked that, I rode motorcycles all my life and I wouldn't buy a bike without a centerstand just for that reason. I rode and restored vintage British bikes mainly and they all had a centerstand it's the newer bikes that aren't made to mount a centerstand.

It calmed me down a bit, that the effect appears not only in my bike.
However I do have another bosch equipped bicycle with classic reverse movement of the chain when backpedaling.
It's Gazelle Chamonix T10 with Bosch Active Line Plus and Deore.

So, it looks like Bosch does both designs.

Why would anyone want to pedal backwards?
Feliz ...
I've been beaten by DDBB about lubing the chain (not necessary when my Gates Carbon Drive arrives!), but there is another situation where it is useful to backpedal: traffic lights (of the red persuasion).

In my road bike days it was so easy to put by left foot on the kerb (yes!) and then backpedal my clipped-in right foot to the one o'clock position for take off. It's still necessary to get my right foot back to that start position with a Bosch CX but it's awkward. Quite often, I'll roll back half a bike's length and let the Bosch's innards reverse the cranks to where I'd like them to be.

Wouldn't it be nice if Bosch motors could auto-rotate pedals to one's preferred start position. Sigh: another thing to go wrong.
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted an e-mtb but couldn't get over that none of them come with a kickstand/sidestand. Sure you can add them but the Yamaha ydx-torc I looked at didn't even have bosses and the speed sensor wire ran along the inside of the chain stay so a clamp style kickstand might damage that wire. Of course not having a kickstand in and of itself is no reason not to buy a mtb but it just added to the list of things I didn't like

Feliz ...
I've been beaten by DDBB about lubing the chain (not necessary when my Gates Carbon Drive arrives!), but there is another situation where it is useful to backpedal: traffic lights (of the red persuasion).

In my road bike days it was so easy to put by left foot on the kerb (yes!) and then backpedal my clipped-in right foot to the one o'clock position for take off. It's still necessary to get my right foot back to that start position with a Bosch CX but it's awkward. Quite often, I'll roll back half a bike's length and let the Bosch's innards reverse the cranks to where I'd like them to be.

Wouldn't it be nice if Bosch motors could auto-rotate pedals to one's preferred start position. Sigh: another thing to go wrong.
... David
You can still back pedal to adjust pedal position for starting off from a red light, it's just that the chain doesn't move backwards

I wanted an e-mtb but couldn't get over that none of them come with a kickstand/sidestand. Sure you can add them but the Yamaha ydx-torc I looked at didn't even have bosses and the speed sensor wire ran along the inside of the chain stay so a clamp style kickstand might damage that wire. Of course not having a kickstand in and of itself is no reason not to buy a mtb but it just added to the list of things I didn't like
I added a kickstand to my Haibike AllMtn Plus, a full suspension e-mtb. The left-side chainstay had the necessary screw holes neatly hidden behind a plastic tab. No issues with wire conflicts. I believe most, if not all, Haibike e-mtbs come ready to receive a kickstand.

why would you want a kickstand on a MTB? MTB are dedicated to go fast on off road trails. they don't ride well on the road anyway because of tires, gearing, they have extremely wide handlebars that put you in a kind of parachute position so not practical in the city to slalom in traffic, and can't go a nearly as fast as gravel/road bikes on flat because they are made to be as reliable as possible in hard conditions that they are used,and as light as possible and a kickstand on a. MTB is also a safety concern. it's like complaining that a moto GP doesn't have a top case or bags. I think what you're looking for is more like a hybrid bike.
now if you want to use a MTB in a different way you can modify it, add lights, fenders, kickstand, narrow handlebars, a rack etc.... but don't expect to have them from the factory or even mounting points to make installation.

Last edited:
why would you want a kickstand on a MTB? MTB are dedicated to go fast on off road trails. they don't ride well on the road anyway because of tires, gearing, they have extremely wide handlebars that put you in a kind of parachute position so not practical in the city to slalom in traffic, and can't go a nearly as fast as gravel/road bikes on flat because they are made to be as reliable as possible in hard conditions that they are used,and as light as possible and a kickstand on a. MTB is also a safety concern. it's like complaining that a moto GP doesn't have a top case or bags. I think what you're looking for is more like a hybrid bike.
now if you want to use a MTB in a different way you can modify it, add lights, fenders, kickstand, narrow handlebars, a rack etc.... but don't expect to have them from the factory or even mounting points to make installation.
Why? Because he wanted a kickstand.

Back