Pedal Fell Off :(

Dave E

I've been sick for a while and haven't been using my bike to commute to work. I took a nice long ride earlier in the week though, so today felt like a good day to get back into the healthy routine. I got a couple miles from home and my left foot felt funny. It was still dark out, so I had to ride over to a street light so I could get off and take a look. My pedal looked OK, but I stuck my finger in the hole-that-shouldn't-be-a-hole on the back side of the crank and my finger went in most of the way. Bad sign.

I turned around and started pedaling home, but the pedal fell all the way off with a few miles to go.

The main reason I bought this bike is because I live at the top of a crazy hill. Pushing this heavy bike up that hill this morning was a bummer. I'll fix it when I get home from work tonight.

Bummer! Presume it will be an easy fix... maybe some locktite added if it seems prone to unscrewing?
The screw that holds my rear metal fender to the frame strut, came loose on a ride (started hearing all this new clattering on the ride) and then fell out on that ride... luckily I heard it hit the pavement and stopped and managed to find it. (Can't effectively put it back in without first removing the rear wheel... no sufficient clearance... but it's all good now...)

Do you not carry a portable tool set for you bike?

I have a small tool bag that straps to the bottom of my bike seat that holds a bicycle multi-tool (which includes chain tool), a small crescent wrench, a couple of the larger hex head Allen wrenches, tire irons, spare chain link (master) spare inner tube, and patch kit...

While it won't fix every problem, it will fix the more common issues...

I've been sick for a while and haven't been using my bike to commute to work. I took a nice long ride earlier in the week though, so today felt like a good day to get back into the healthy routine. I got a couple miles from home and my left foot felt funny. It was still dark out, so I had to ride over to a street light so I could get off and take a look. My pedal looked OK, but I stuck my finger in the hole-that-shouldn't-be-a-hole on the back side of the crank and my finger went in most of the way. Bad sign.

I turned around and started pedaling home, but the pedal fell all the way off with a few miles to go.

The main reason I bought this bike is because I live at the top of a crazy hill. Pushing this heavy bike up that hill this morning was a bummer. I'll fix it when I get home from work tonight.

It is visible. It's held on by a velcro strap that loops through the bottom seat rails.

Interesting question about "Theft". I say that as I never thought about it as my bike is purely for recreation and is never left where I can't see it. But if I did, it is easy to remove and put back on.

Awesome idea--is it visible? Any worries about theft, or do you take it with you when you lock the bike or ...?

Do you not carry a portable tool set for you bike?

I do, but it was too dark outside to mess with it. I never would have figured it out in the dark. I assumed the pedals went on like the rest of my bikes (end wrench), but these have a big hex socket on the inside of the pedal. I wouldn't have seen that and I don't think the short Allen wrench in my tool pack would have reached it.

I took it to my LBS. It turns out that the crank stripped out and they had to order a new one. The bike is going to be out of commish for a week until the parts come in.

I do, but it was too dark outside to mess with it. I never would have figured it out in the dark. I assumed the pedals went on like the rest of my bikes (end wrench), but these have a big hex socket on the inside of the pedal. I wouldn't have seen that and I don't think the short Allen wrench in my tool pack would have reached it.

I took it to my LBS. It turns out that the crank stripped out and they had to order a new one. The bike is going to be out of commish for a week until the parts come in.
That really sucks hope your back riding now!

When cranks strip out, the most often cause is that the pedal has been loose for a while. Good idea to tighten every fastener,
every couple weeks. Every week if you are commuting on it.

Back