PatriciaK's Italian ebike tour adventure 🇮🇹🚴🇮🇹

😱😱😱 Our last day in Rome, riding the metro to the Colosseum, one of my tour mates got pick pocketed 😱😱😱. They got her wallet, which had her credit cards, debit card, and passport inside. She cancelled all her cards right away, but the US Embassy here only deals with passports M-F, 0800-1200. No appointments. The voice mail message said to bring 2 passport photos and $160 (she doesn't have a paper copy, or a screen shot in her phone). It's a mess. She wants to continue on to the tour, but the hotel is going to want her passport for check in. It's good she is traveling with friends who can advance her money... Such a disappointment - we're in the process of regrouping and figuring out what will work for her from here.

Things sure can go south in a heartbeat!

😱😱😱 Our last day in Rome, riding the metro to the Colosseum, one of my tour mates got pick pocketed 😱😱😱. They got her wallet, which had her credit cards, debit card, and passport inside. She cancelled all her cards right away, but the US Embassy here only deals with passports M-F, 0800-1200. No appointments. The voice mail message said to bring 2 passport photos and $160 (she doesn't have a paper copy, or a screen shot in her phone). It's a mess. She wants to continue on to the tour, but the hotel is going to want her passport for check in. It's good she is traveling with friends who can advance her money... Such a disappointment - we're in the process of regrouping and figuring out what will work for her from here.

hate to hit like on that post.:mad:

It's always a good idea to have pictures of your passport and driver's license on a secure cloud site, so if you lose your documents AND phone, you can still see the pics. My (android) phone is linked to Google photos, so any pic I take with my phone is automatically uploaded to my account.

Hope things work out for your tour mate. Some years back I was in a Barcelona train station. I was fortunate to spot a pickpocket as he (are they always guys?) was moving in for the hit. These days I keep key stuff in a zippered pocket. I spent a good deal of time finding the right pants...

So sad. Rick Steves is always talking about that issue.

So very sad. What an awful experience. I watched the "travelers" that came to The Mirage every New Year's Eve and fortunately learned before experiencing the total horrible disruption being overseas and being pickpocketed is! My African adventures would have been even crazier that the EU and Italy.

Jeez, and given the madness and common pickpockets in Italy, it would seem the Embassy would have better emergency hours! I wear inside the trouser zipper pouches. A neck wallet inside my shirt. Copies of the passport and additional passport pictures in the pouch, wallet, and in each piece of luggage. Some cash in a the front zipper pocket but all else is well secured. IT SUCKS. A beautiful memory becomes a complete nightmare...

Man how F ing awful, sheesh...

I’ve been pickpocketed in most major cities in Europe it’s very hard to prevent

I’ve been pickpocketed in most major cities in Europe it’s very hard to prevent
I have never been. Perhaps the pickpockets target Americans as an easy prey?
Would have never kept my passport together with bank cards myself.

P.S. Not quite correct. I lost my (inexpensive) watch in Prague when I passed a group of Roma people.

For overseas travel, get a couple of cheap billfolds and put a gospel tract in each one. Then when they pick your pocket all they get is, "You need to repent and come to Jesus!" :D

I do have a copy of my passport zipped into the lining of my suitcase, and picture in my files. Carry a cross-body, locking zipper purse. I'm hyper-aware in crowds, but know nothing is totally foolproof.

My friend also has a copy of her passport, fortunately - she's coming in the bike tour and dealing with the embassy when we're come back to Rome on the 24th.

It's going to be ok, but it's definitely changed the tone of our trip. Hopefully, the ride will lift spirits and put things in perspective 🤞.

On a totally different note, there are ebikes ALL OVER Rome! Rental options from Lime, Bird, and other companies, delivery bikes, and lots of privately owned bikes. Also e-scooters, which seem to be left everywhere willy nilly and are quite annoying for pedestrians to work around 🤬!

I have never been. Perhaps the pickpockets target Americans as an easy prey?
Would have never kept my passport together with bank cards myself.

P.S. Not quite correct. I lost my (inexpensive) watch in Prague when I passed a group of Roma people.
Not so much easy prey as big payday. Thieves look for a worthy pick. Tourists are worthy.

My friend also has a copy of her passport, fortunately - she's coming in the bike tour and dealing with the embassy when we're come back to Rome on the 24th.
I pray I didn't come off as anything but empathetic. Having traveled to the remotest parts of the planet it pains me to think of how it would have disrupted my psyche. All the best and hugs to your friend!!!

That sucks. But Karma is a bitch...

I hope someday someone actually comprehends what karma actually is. It’s not punishment…
You know, between the bacteria and new special travel rules, I'm kinda happy to stay in my office and watch sports and listen to Jackson Browne and avoid humans. Maybe take a bike ride in the morning and stop off for a beer. But why travel?

I pray I didn't come off as anything but empathetic. Having traveled to the remotest parts of the planet it pains me to think of how it would have disrupted my psyche. All the best and hugs to your friend!!!
No worries, Tom - I know you meant well.

On the train to Lecce 😁. Aside from the criminals encountered on the metro, the Italians we've dealt with have been unfailingly kind, compassionate and understanding. The attendant at our hotel breakfast buffet whipped away my friend's machine-spewed cappuccino when she heard what happened, telling her "you need a better cappuccino than that!". Made her a lovely fresh cup with a perfect heart in the foam. Passing the American embassy last night to get our bearings, the Italian guards outside went out of their way to explain to my friend which entrance she would need to use, and where it's located.

No one got much sleep last night, but we're soldiering on today, determined to enjoy our bike week!

I've a very good friend over there right now, on a cycling tour with his wife.
They're in Emilia-Romagna presently and having a ball.

Lunch venues like this could maybe even get me back on an analog bike! OK, maybe not but it sure looks divine.
I hope you have similar types of places to enjoy the "cucina italiana"!

1665852152889.png

You know, between the bacteria and new special travel rules, I'm kinda happy to stay in my office and watch sports and listen to Jackson Browne and avoid humans. Maybe take a bike ride in the morning and stop off for a beer. But why travel?
Very glad I had some time abroad, but not looking to do it again actually if airlines aren't involved I would travel North America to South America.

Back