Pace 500 Initial Impression and Mini Review

robrob

I'm a new Aventon.com Pace 500 owner and I want to share my initial impression of the bike. I'm 6'2" and 240lbs so I went with the large frame. I ride my bike for exercise and don't commute with it.

I'm a pretty good mechanic but it still took me about an hour to assemble the bike alone. Assembly went smoothly and I posted some assembly tips in another thread here earlier. If you're not mechanically inclined you may want to have a bike shop assemble it.

My gear shift lever needed a slight adjustment at the handlebar mounted adjuster. One turn out (tighter cable) stopped the gear jumping that occurred before the adjustment.

I'm very impressed with the quality of the bicycle and the way it rides, assisted and non-assisted. All of the other ebikes I have ridden had torque sensing assist and I prefer it to the Pace 500's cadence sensor. Torque sensing gives a more natural power boost. The more pressure you put on the pedals the more boost you get. With cadence sensing the boost is much more on/off. If you are pedaling, no matter the effort you put into it, you get the full assist level you have selected. It's definitely not a deal breaker for me but my next ebike (probably a KTM mountain bike) will be torque sensing.

On a related note I have to agree with an earlier poster who said the pedal assist level 1 is too fast at 12mph. I also got too much assist up steep inclines with level 1. I wanted to go slower and work a little harder. I zoomed up the inclines at around 10mph with moderate pedal work. I would prefer to climb at around 5 or 6mph with more effort. EDIT: I have learned that by lowering the bike's speed limit from 28mph to 19mph (30% decrease) you also decrease all the pedal assist speeds by 30%. You access the speed limit by holding down the up and down arrows simultaneously for 3 seconds, then press the "M" button (power on button) until you see Function 05P "LIMIT". Press the arrows to set the limit.

I was surprised to find I really liked the throttle. It's great for a quick boost when you're in a gear too high and you're almost to the top of a rise. Use your thumb and zoom, you're over the hill. When reading about the bike it didn't sink in that when in level 0 you can simply use your thumb to quickly dial in boost.

I have a 13 mile loop with two steep climbs that I like to ride with my non-electric bikes. Today I rode that loop with the Pace 500 and the hill climbs were so easy I did a second loop for a 20 mile ride. I run in assist 0 most of the time and use assist 1 for steep climbs (any climb I can't do myself in 1st gear). I'm amazed at how the bike pushes my 240lbs up steep inclines. Surprisingly, at the end of the 20 mile ride I still had full energy bars on the display and on the battery. I'm going to try a 35 mile loop next.

I really like the riding position with the stock handlebars in the full forward/down position. I may put on a straight mountain bike bar in the future and I love that I will be able to adjust the handlebar stem up and rearward for a comfortable position. The hand grips are a little slippery when sweat covered but I love the wrist wings. The bike rides very smoothly and the geartrain doesn't complain when I stand up and crank as hard as I can. The bike handles high speed downhills well too.

I realized today that with a hub mounted motor the bike doesn't care what gear you select. The gearing is just for you, the motor doesn't use it. We can shift easily when the motor is delivering full torque. This is not true for mid-mount motors that drive the chain like the KTM mountain bike I rode in Hungary and crank mounted add-on kits like the Bafang.

Overall the Pace 500 is an incredible value and I'm very happy with it.

Last edited:
I've had my Pace 500 for 3 months now and couldn't be happier with my choice. If I could just add an important caveat to those riding this bike. It is very powerful and when you activate the power, it automatically defaults to PAS 1 and once you start to pedal, it goes very fast up to 12 mph. My suggestion for safety sake, especially if walkers or other bikes are close to you, is to put the PAS down to 0 and start to pedal and once you are clear of others, then go up on the PAS. This also applies to coming to a stop. Make sure that you downgear to one, two or three for an easier start up. This bike is very easy to pedal. Good luck

That's a good point and a good technique Bigal. I was used to torque sensing ebikes and was really surprised by the Pace 500 initial acceleration in pedal assist level 1. I warned my wife about it before her first ride. I agree that pedal assist 0 should be the power on default for all ebikes with cadence sensors.

EDIT: Lowering the bike's speed limit does not change the pedal assist 1 speed. I haven't verified this myself yet but I plan to do it, it seems if you lower the bike's speed limit all the pedal assist speeds decrease proportionally. If you cut the top speed from 28mph to 19mph (30% decrease) all the PAS speeds will also be decreased by 30%. I ride my bike for exercise so I never need to go 28mph and keep in mind that European ebikes are limited to 16mph so 19 is still pretty quick.

Last edited:
Another tip that I failed to mention is that once you start to pedal, take advantage of your throttle. Most e-bikes don’t have this feature in addition to PAS. The throttle will get you up to 20 MPH very quickly, but is variable speed, meaning that you can keep your speed down to about 8 MPH by pushing the lever just enough to get it going. Forget about the PAS until you understand the throttles capability. This is one powerful and solid bike that you will enjoy.

Robrob, did lowering the speed from 28 to 19 reduce PAS 1 speed also?? I'm 75 and wanted the Pace 500 step thru, which I'm happy with. I just did take it to a bike shop for a front fender, but had them check it out also. For only $30 labor, they adjusted the shifting, and the brakes (they said rear brake was dragging, though it seemed fine to me), and checked spoke tension, in addition to installing the fender ($15). I've also installed the Ibera bike rack, a BV commuter trunk bag, a Sunlite bolt-on taillight, a bell, and I've ordered the NCX Suntour suspension seat post from AliExpress (China) for $74. My Pace is going to Florida with us on the back of our travel trailer, and had to get a Swagman RV rated bike rack to carry it. Look forward to finding many Rails to Trails bike paths as we travel across the country. Very happy with the Pace 500, especially at its price point.

Mike, will we be able to update our bike's "firmware" for the improvements?

If you can pass it along I really think PAS 0 should be the default power up setting. I often forget to set PAS 0 and get surprised by the sudden acceleration.

At some point in the not too distant future. aventon will have a solution for lowering the speed in level 1 for new Pace 500 buyers. Hang tight folks. Some good stuff is in the works to improve further upon the best value ebike on the planet in this price range.
At some point in the not too distant future. aventon will have a solution for lowering the speed in level 1 for new Pace 500 buyers. Hang tight folks. Some good stuff is in the works to improve further upon the best value ebike on the planet in this price range.
I hope Mike is right. He's probably got better sources than me. When I spoke with Luis at Aventon a few days ago, he said there were no plans to change the levels or throttle from zero.

I now have 493 miles on my Pace 500 and still absolutely love the bike.

I added a Suntour NCX suspension seatpost and it was a fantastic addition--I highly recommend it for comfort.

The factory handlebars are fine but I wanted a more aggressive riding position so I also added a semi-straight mountain bike handlebar and adjusted the Pace's stem angle to raise the new bar and bring it a little closer to me. The Pace 500's adjustable handlebar stem makes the bike fitment very flexible.

You do need to check the spoke tension for the first couple of hundred miles because the high torque motor can put a strain on them.

For the first couple of weeks of riding the shifter cable stretched as it broke in so I had to adjust its tension at the shifter. Turning the adjuster out (clockwise from sitting on the bike) took up the slack and kept the drivetrain quiet and shifting perfect.

The battery capacity of the Pace 500 is really impressive. I just did a 42 mile ride including a 1700 feet climb to Round Knob Campground in the Cherokee National Forest over a muddy and rocky gravel road. I used pedal assist level 1 for most of the ride including the climb up the mountain. I still had 15 to 20% of battery life when I got home. I'm amazed at how well the Pace 500 hauled my 240lbs up that mountain.

I hope Mike is right. He's probably got better sources than me. When I spoke with Luis at Aventon a few days ago, he said there were no plans to change the levels or throttle from zero.
They were planning to do a change on assist acceleration where it could be done in the field, but they ended up making a slight modification to the acceleration curve on new ones coming from the factory. Don't know what that date was, but already happened. Just found out today.

The battery capacity of the Pace 500 is really impressive. I just did a 42 mile ride including a 1700 feet climb to Round Knob Campground in the Cherokee National Forest over a muddy and rocky gravel road. I used pedal assist level 1 for most of the ride including the climb up the mountain. I still had 15 to 20% of battery life when I got home. I'm amazed at how well the Pace 500 hauled my 240lbs up that mountain.
That IS amazing for only 11 ah, and a hub drive, and 1700 feet climb, including the added resistance of mud and gravel. I bet you also got a good workout. ;)

Here is a full review from Electrek...

The saying with electric bicycles (and many other things, to be fair) goes something to the effect of “You can have it good, fast, or cheap. Pick two.”
But the Aventon Pace 500 electric bicycle comes dangerously close to giving us all three, as I discovered while testing the bike for our latest review

Aventon Pace 500 tech specs
  • Motor: 500W geared rear hub motor
  • Top speed: 28 mph (45 km/h) with pedal assist, 20 mph (32 km/h) on throttle only
  • Range: 30 miles (48 km)
  • Battery: 48V 11.6Ah (557 Wh)
  • Weight: 49 lb (22.2 kg)
  • Weight limit: 250 lb (113 kg)
  • Frame: 6061 double-butted aluminum alloy
  • Tires: 27.5″ x 2.2″ Kenda
  • Brakes: Tektro hydraulic disc brakes with 180 mm rotors
  • Extras: LCD display with speedometer, battery gauge, PAS level indicator, odometer, left-side thumb throttle, Shimano Altus 8-speed shifter

Here is a full review from Electrek...

The saying with electric bicycles (and many other things, to be fair) goes something to the effect of “You can have it good, fast, or cheap. Pick two.”
But the Aventon Pace 500 electric bicycle comes dangerously close to giving us all three, as I discovered while testing the bike for our latest review

Aventon Pace 500 tech specs
  • Motor: 500W geared rear hub motor
  • Top speed: 28 mph (45 km/h) with pedal assist, 20 mph (32 km/h) on throttle only
  • Range: 30 miles (48 km)
  • Battery: 48V 11.6Ah (557 Wh)
  • Weight: 49 lb (22.2 kg)
  • Weight limit: 250 lb (113 kg)
  • Frame: 6061 double-butted aluminum alloy
  • Tires: 27.5″ x 2.2″ Kenda
  • Brakes: Tektro hydraulic disc brakes with 180 mm rotors
  • Extras: LCD display with speedometer, battery gauge, PAS level indicator, odometer, left-side thumb throttle, Shimano Altus 8-speed shifter
Oh, come on Micah! Admit it. It is all 3 ! Didn't they pay you enough for the review ? Sheesh.

Oh, come on Micah! Admit it. It is all 3 ! Didn't they pay you enough for the review ? Sheesh.

He did... :)

He did... :)

'Dangerously close' ??? That's called being too cute or egotistical for integrity. It either is, or it isn't. He can't name one other ebike at that price point that accelerates as fast, and also reaches that top speed of 28 as quickly. And name one other at that price point that has a better quality frame, better derailleur, better hydraulic brakes, better or clearer display, better controller, and better brand battery, even if it's slower. Maybe you find one with some added cheapo fenders, and lights on it, or other frivolous accessories, but that doesn't make it necessarily 'good.' Aventon has set the benchmark at this price point, and so let's see some other company 'beat it.' They are also offering 5 different frame sizes, where many companies only do 'one size fits many' (which typically means it only 'fits' a very few decently). They put the money in all the right places, to hit his 'all 3' saying. Further to get noticeably better anything you are talking hundreds of dollars more, so there is not even a close 2nd.

'Dangerously close' ??? That's called being too cute or egotistical for integrity. It either is, or it isn't. He can't name one other ebike at that price point that accelerates as fast, and also reaches that top speed of 28 as quickly. And name one other at that price point that has a better quality frame, better derailleur, better hydraulic brakes, better or clearer display, better controller, and better brand battery, even if it's slower. Maybe you find one with some added cheapo fenders, and lights on it, or other frivolous accessories, but that doesn't make it necessarily 'good.' Aventon has set the benchmark at this price point, and so let's see some other company 'beat it.' They are also offering 5 different frame sizes, where many companies only do 'one size fits many' (which typically means it only 'fits' a very few decently). They put the money in all the right places, to hit his 'all 3' saying. Further to get noticeably better anything you are talking hundreds of dollars more, so there is not even a close 2nd.

The Queen in "Hamlet" by Edwin Austin Abbey

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks" :)

Last edited:
They were planning to do a change on assist acceleration where it could be done in the field, but they ended up making a slight modification to the acceleration curve on new ones coming from the factory. Don't know what that date was, but already happened. Just found out today.
I would like to give it another try. Do you know how I could identify bikes with the mods ... SN?

I agree that the Aventon Pace 500 and 350's are excellent bikes and excellent value. I am in the market for two of them. Yesterday I had the chance to do an extended ride on the Espin Sport (step over) and Espin Flow (step thru). These bikes are not well marketed and are $300 more than the 500, but I was totally blown away by the quality, performance and look and feel of these bikes. I'm not sure everyone would agree they are worth $300 more, but for us they are. Too bad there are only a couple of places in the U.S. to give them a try.

1571757430993.png
1571757539823.png

Reactions: BET
Back