Pace 500 front brake sounds like a loud freewheel when braking

Pokerdogg

Sorry for the cross post, I originally posted in the Maintenance and Repair sub-forum but no response there yet, hope someone here can help.

We have an Aventon Pace 500 with Tektro HD-E350 brakes. We have close to 1100 km on the bike. The bike started to develop a noise that sounds just like the freewheel when you coast without peddling, but a bit louder, when I use the front brake after it past the 1000 km mark. I thought the brake pad may be worn, so ordered some replacement pads. When I took the old pads off, it looks like it has plenty of pads left, really not much thinner than the replacement pads. I cleaned the pads and the rotor, and put everything back together with the original pads. The noise is still the same.

What may be the problem? I checked the front axel, the bolts on the brake caliper, etc., everything looks to be snug and tight. Any ideas what I should check next?

Thanks

If possible take a video of the bike while its making the noise, as it would help diagnose the issue.

If possible take a video of the bike while its making the noise, as it would help diagnose the issue.
I will give it a try, although a bit worried applying front brake with left hand while holding camera with right hand. Will post if I get it right. Thanks.

I hope the recording is clear. At about 14 seconds mark I applied the front brakes, and you can hear the sound I was referring to. A couple of seconds later there is some additional sound that I have also heard before, but not always there.

I just watched the video a few times but have to say its a little tricky to tell...

You say the brake pads look good but is the rotor itself still within limits? Just wondering if a thinning rotor is the cause of the sound appearing... maybe worth checking it with callipers. The "min" thickness is often stamped on the rotor.

Back