Over 50's 2017 XDuro Trekking 4.0 Chronicles

2017 Haibike Trekking 4.0 Size for a 5'8 1/2", 29.5" inseam, 50+ year old novice bike commuter?

• L 56 CM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bike is no good for commuting in any size

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi, a very helpful thread. I'm going to pick up a 2017 Xduro online but I'm curious, are there any changes for 2018? I'm a hair over 6' (was 6'2" in my younger days), 200 pounds and 80 years old, what size would anyone my hight recommend? My inseam is 32". I'm currently riding a 2018 Pedego Platinum Interceptor. Thanks for any insight.

Hi, a very helpful thread. I'm going to pick up a 2017 Xduro online but I'm curious, are there any changes for 2018? I'm a hair over 6' (was 6'2" in my younger days), 200 pounds and 80 years old, what size would anyone my hight recommend? My inseam is 32". I'm currently riding a 2018 Pedego Platinum Interceptor. Thanks for any insight.

52cm frame.
I am 6ft with 33" inseam and I find 52cm to be perfect. You can swap the handlebar/stem for a more upright position.

Apart from the naming and numbering changes in 2018, it looks to me like the bike sizes are the same. Looks to me like my XDuro 4.0 Trekking is now the SDuro Trekking 9.5. But the components look to be similar however the brakes may have changed (Magura MT4s are now Shimano). Frames look the same to me. I bought the 48cm frame and given I am a few inches shorter than you I bet that minimum starting point for you would be the 52cm. Hopefully the outfit you purchase from can help to identify the correct size.

What size is your current Pedego interceptor? Do you have a classic or step thru?

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

JayVee, I'll have to check, it's a classic and I believe they only come in one size. It's comfortable but it's a stretch to get my leg over the seat sometimes when I'm mounting the bike.

The seat tube length on the Pedego is 17.5 and the standover hight is 31" which is not much different than the Trekking M.

I haven't ridden the XDuro much since the summer when I received my Charger GX. But nevertheless I just took the bike in for a year-end cleanup and a software update. I opted to get the eMTB update although earlier in this thread I said I wouldn't. Other than a 4 mile ride after picking it up from the LBS I have yet to really test it out. Early on in ownership I used Sport quite a bit but as I got in better shape I was pretty much just relying on Eco and Tour - thus I figured I didn't have much to lose by replacing Sport with eMTB.

My Bosch diagnostic report says the following:

Miles in Turbo 1.6; in Sport 231.6; Tour 376.8; Eco 426.6; no assist 0.0
Full charge cycles 30.6
Min battery temp 53.6F; Max temp 95.6F
Energy consumed by motor: Turbo 0%, Sport 25%; Tour 39%; Eco 35%

Now here's the fishy part and I'm going to post this on my Charger GX thread. The Bosch diagnostics classified about 160 miles on the Charger GX as 'no assist'. We agreed on this forum and the LBS agreed that this would be coasting or when I am pedaling over the motor cutoff speed. The miles given above for the XDuro are approximately 350 short of what is on the odometer. The diagnostic report says 0 miles ridden without assistance (compares with 160 miles on the Charger GX). So I'm not sure if how this is reported is dependent on how the LBS runs the diagnostic? But odd that the XDuro report is short of the odometer miles by almost 350 miles and classifies 'no assist' miles as 0.0. But the Charger GX classifies almost 160 miles as 'no assist' and the mileage breakdown totals to what the odometer reads.

I'm approaching 2 years of ownership so I broke down and ordered the BadAss 4.0 for Bosch. Got it from an Australian shop as I couldn't find a Euro shop shipping to the USA. It arrived in just over a week at $170 USD. It took me a few tries to get it right. I think the stock AAA battery was dead. After a battery change and several adjustments of the spoke magnet, I finally got it working as advertised.

It slides on easily and seems secure although I plan to ziptie it tomorrow. It ships with a thumb screw for the spoke magnet. I'll probably put the regular screw back on the magnet now that I'm certain of the exact magnet position. I don't see myself switching back and forth (removing the box). If someone steals it on commute day I'd have to move the magnet back to regular position but I always carry tools. As posted by others it does cut your speed reading in half (not exact but close). I wore my GPS watch and on one straightaway my Intuvia was reading over 12 mph I checked my watch and it was over 24 mph (Eco mode). So far I'm pleased with the results. I did a 9 mile ride and probably hit a high speed of about 25 mph (Tour). I'm not fond of having inaccurate mph and mileage readings on the Intuvia but I didn't really want to mess with an option that required opening the motor.

Could you please confirm if the rack on the Xduro 4.0 2017 could be used to mount baby seat rack? I found Xduro but in Low step my size, that I could not try and it has to be shipped. Im 6.2, inseam 33", I think that 56cm in Low step corresponds to 60 cm in High step . I want a bike that I can cruise on the weekends around my neighborhood with my 2 yo baby girl and take it on the camping trips and ride gravel roads/trail around campgrounds, nothing technical.

I'm torn between Xdruro 4.0 and Focus Jarifa2 Equipped, that is also even on better sale for half retail price now (~2300 $ shipped) vs Xduro 3000 shipped. All components on both bikes top notch , Focus even has integrated tube battery pack. But I'm hesitant about 29" tires , Super moto X is not made in 29" and rack on Focus only rated 15 kg and very narrow.

Thank you all for any advise!

Could you please confirm if the rack on the Xduro 4.0 2017 could be used to mount baby seat rack?...

Sorry I can't really help with this. I haven't purchased any bags etc with the XLC mounting system or adapter. When I purchased the bike these were not available in the USA and purchasing from Europe seemed less certain as to compatibility versus say the Racktime stuff. I have ordered Racktime compatible items from Europe for my Riese and Muller and they were much more readily available and there seemed to be more certainty as to fit. I suggest you contact a larger Haibike seller. Perhaps Propel Bikes could advise given that they sell Haibike and they fix folks up with child seat and cargo solutions. There probably is a child seat out there that is made to be adjustable to fit various racks (I've never shopped or researched child seats).

For bags, I have been using velcro or snap system bags such as the Arkel Tailrider trunk bag or some Alban bike bags I purchased from the UK.

I made my first commute on my 'new' old Haibike (call it the BadAss version of my Haibike). It was about 36 miles and multiplying my trip distance x 2 came in at 1 mile over what Google maps reported for the same journey (didn't have my GPS).

Thus the BadAss Box does roughly cut your speed and distance readings by 1/2.

I wrote before that I would ziptie the box to the frame although it fits fairly securely over the speed sensor. I opted not to ziptie so I could remove the device while locked at the bike rack. I figured there was little chance a thief would spot the device and/or know what it was. But, on the other hand, it did cost $170 so why take a chance. It is as easy to remove as my accessory lighting and so small it doesn't take up any backpack space.

I checked my log from last year and my average speed on the this bike was around 15.5 mph. My average speed for yesterday's commute was about 16.5 mph. I still rode a lot around 20 mph because I did about 1/2 of the commute in Eco. 20 mph, in Eco, even with the BadAss Box is right about where I found a comfortable cadence. But I did push it up to 22-23 mph in Eco at times and its pretty nice not to have the bike bog down as the motor shuts off. On the return trip, when I had an open run I was cruising at speeds around 26 mph in Tour mode which is right about where I ride my R&M class 3.

I am generally fine with commuting on a class 1 but I do really like having the ability to push the bike past the normal cutoff in order to make a traffic light. Previously I would try to keep my speed just under the cutoff but I had no ability to accelerate much to make the lights. And once I get back in commuting shape I can see cruising around 22- mph in Eco mode.

I didn't have much hit to range but probably due to the 6 mph tailwind on the morning trip. This bike has always given me excellent range. I made it 14 miles into the journey on a fully charged battery before I ticked from 5 bars to 4. Normally it does that around 11 miles. I had 3 bars showing at the end of the 36 miles although it was probably ready to trip to 2 bars. 50 miles easily and perhaps 60 miles would have been achievable.

My average speeds lately commuting with the class 1 Vektron have been around 13.5 mph - due to having the 20 mph restriction but also due to having to ride with a bit more caution due to the 20 inch wheels and lack of suspension. I've done a couple of commutes on the R&M Charger GX (class 3) and my average time is around 16.3 mph.

I've got my Xduro 4.0 2017 60 cm frame last week. Love it and my fear disappeared about frame size, with my inseam of 35 , I have about 3 inches above top tube . Reach I think is ok, but I'm planning to install adjustable stem from Ergotec and bring steering bar more up.
I think I would be ok with 56 cm frame may be.

Fond few scratches on the front fork and rear rack, but all cosmetic, for the 2500$ shipped I still think I've got a deal.

There is also low frame in 56 cm that might be a good fit for me but the owner of the shop was not willing to price match so I decided not to pay extra 500 $ for low step version.

I put a Badass 4 dongle on my Raleigh Magnum IE just after buying it.
It made the Purion fairly useless but the bike is a hoot.
FatBike at 25 mph is surprising to other riders to say the least.
I really like the EMTB mode for my riding, it increases efficiency and range over the previous choices.

I put a Badass 4 dongle on my Raleigh Magnum IE just after buying it.
It made the Purion fairly useless but the bike is a hoot.
FatBike at 25 mph is surprising to other riders to say the least.
I really like the EMTB mode for my riding, it increases efficiency and range over the previous choices.

Does it void Bosch warranty? Is there any trace of using it on Bosch dealer screen?
I just made updates from 2017 to 2019 ( Intuiva, motor and battery). But saw that there is a line on the screen where is listed attempts to alter motor.

Does it void Bosch warranty? Is there any trace of using it on Bosch dealer screen?
I just made updates from 2017 to 2019 ( Intuiva, motor and battery). But saw that there is a line on the screen where is listed attempts to alter motor.

Alters the sensor, not the ECU.
I have no idea how they'd monitor for that, especially with the Purion which is so basic.
I wouldn't do this on my Intuvia bike which I converted to Nyon but it's an S model anyway.

Got a new chain (KMC 11) last week at approximately 1,650 miles. LBS felt it could have taken some more miles but I wanted to be proactive. Other drive train components still looked good. I replaced the stock chain at under 1,000 miles with a KMC.

I've made quite a few commutes now with the Badass 4.0. I've had some of my best commute times recently (on any bike) but that is partially due to having had some very favorable weather too. Although I am riding faster, my range continues to be stellar. On a 500 WH Powerpack, fully charged: I've done the last two commutes of approximately 34 miles each, without charging at work, and have returned with 2 bars and an estimated remaining range of 22-24 miles (Eco). This is riding at approximately 50/50 Eco and Tour. On a few stretches I am cruising at about 23-26 mph but I'm still getting enough range to reach exceed 50 miles on a charge (very light winds and flat terrain). The battery and bike are now over 2 years old.

Interestingly (or maybe not): when I first installed the Badass, I had to play with the magnet position to get it to function properly. I've been removing the box when the bike is locked at the bike rack. Twice now, I have forgotten to reattach the box when I leave work for the return trip. The bike has functioned perfectly, but of course with the 20 mph cutoff restored, without me re-adjusting the spoke magnet. I find this very odd. Today I made it 3 miles into my commute before I realized I had forgotten to reattach the device (I had to get out of downtown and out of the bike lanes before I had the opportunity to ride over 20 mph). So some of the stellar commute times I've achieved with the device have included a 2 minute stop on the road to dig the device out of my bag and reattach it. More surprising though is that the CX motor was functioning fine without the device and without readjusting the magnet position.

I have also been admiring the 2019 version of our bike the Sduro Trekking 9.0 as featured in a recent EBR video. I also noticed that the 2018 model had a bright yellow drive paint job, I was thinking how cool it looked before I realised what a "yellow" flag it would be for thieves! Lucky us 2017 owners have a very understated paint job. I wonder if that is why Haibike reverted back somewhat for their 2019 model....

This chronicle/chapter has closed. Back in Nov 2019 when I put down some money for a new Allant I started advertising the Haibike on Craigslist and LocalBikeTrader. Sold recently. I hope Haibike survives and stays in the USA. They make a quality product.

Back