Over 11,000 Miles On My Original Cross Current

youth

Year round commuting 33 miles/weekday near since the bike's release through all four seasons & all weather conditions.
On 3rd set of brake pads
2nd battery
2nd chain - nice advantage against mid drive
2nd wheel
2nd fork - btw the rock shox paragon air fork is very nice, well sealed, & hasn't locked out in 20 degree temps
All electronics/wiring have been through replacements except brake cut off & torque sensor.

Wish it had more power & bigger 17.4 battery for windy days. 17.4 wasn't in stock & they gave me a deal on the 12.8 to replaced the 10.4, but I still have range anxiety.

20171215_070152_resized.jpg 20171215_064925_resized.jpg

You commute that many miles with that sound box held on with rubber bands??? Man, you must have great streets! Congrats on the milestone.

You commute that many miles with that sound box held on with rubber bands??? Man, you must have great streets! Congrats on the milestone.
Far from it, but I have previously use zip ties before. Rubberband actually work just as well if not better until they fail from age/exposure.

Thanks for your review! I just hit 1.1k miles (1/10 of yours) on my CrossCurrent S with the 17.4 Ah battery after a little after 3 months of ownership. Still going strong :).

Far from it, but I have previously use zip ties before. Rubberband actually work just as well if not better until they fail from age/exposure.
Year round commuting 33 miles/weekday near since the bike's release through all four seasons & all weather conditions.
On 3rd set of brake pads
2nd battery
2nd chain - nice advantage against mid drive
2nd wheel
2nd fork - btw the rock shox paragon air fork is very nice, well sealed, & hasn't locked out in 20 degree temps
All electronics/wiring have been through replacements except brake cut off & torque sensor.

Wish it had more power & bigger 17.4 battery for windy days. 17.4 wasn't in stock & they gave me a deal on the 12.8 to replaced the 10.4, but I still have range anxiety.

View attachment 19401 View attachment 19402

Hi Youth, I have the original CC as well. One of the things I truly hate, almost as much as the daily chain drops which started from day 1 is the suntour shock. The chain drops instantly stopped after I replaced the chain by the way. Juiced sent me a replacement suntour shock and is equally terrible. Can you please tell me the model number of the rock shox paragon you replaced it with. BTW, Juiced finally sent me the the LCD advanced matrix display and the supporting controller. Its waaay better. It's programmable including upping the speed governor, has a walk feature and cruise control. I also installed this dbl leg kickstand. www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1DUBM6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It took a bit of retrofitting to keep it from rubbing against the chain, but was worth it since, as i'm sure you've experienced the original kickstand is completely inadequate for a 60lb bike.
Thanks,
Jared

I'm ok with the kickstand other then when the crankarm catches it while backing up. Does that double leg stand around you to spin the crank & wheel? I wouldn't mind the LCD either just to know how much I'm draining the battery & how much power I'm putting in.

Here are pics of the fork including the box label.
https://imgur.com/a/p95nD

There is only one model the Paragon Gold RL, but there seems to be different options for steerers which I didn't know at the time. Luckily what I bought on Ebay was the right one. I love the slicker all black look, the much lighter weight, that it hasn't rusted, & that it works even in below zero temps.

The only issue IIRC is they suggest maintenance that involve taking it apart & changing oil every 200 hours. That would be bit much with how much time I put on the bike, but so far I haven't noticed any problems.

No, the crankarms never touch the KS. Before I modified it it would rub the chain in 1st - 4th gear. I cut down and bolted a 1/8th inch aluminum plate to the back of the mount, so it does't close all the way, thus eliminating the chain contact. There are a couple of drawbacks. After my mod, it doesn't hug the bike quite as tight so it can sometimes contact curbs if your not careful dropping off them. Also, although I've, never needed to extend the legs to lift the rear tire off the ground (use it as a work stand) it does freeze in place after a rain and needs a shot of wd40 to break loose. The positive is, a stiff wind would easily know my bike over with the original KS. That happened twice b4 I replaced it. The bike stands rock solid now with 0 lean. Rolling the bike forward folds the KS back and its very smooth folding out. I see inexpensive dbl leg kickstands on amazon that fold together to one side but I don't have any experience with them. I can send you some pix later if you like.

This seems to be the paragon you installed with the 1-1/8 in non tapered steerer? www.bikeman.com/FK6516.html

BTW, Juiced finally sent me the the LCD advanced matrix display and the supporting controller. Its waaay better. It's programmable including upping the speed governor, has a walk feature and cruise control.

Did they send you the new 20 amp controller? Can you tell on the LCD display if you’re getting 900-1000W of power on ‘S’ mode with a fully charged battery? If so, that would be an awesome option to upgrade the original Cross Current (which I own too) without having to buy a new Cross Current S. The original Cross Current controller was limited to 13A peak so 20A is ~50% more power.

They did send me the larger controller, and it was easy to install. I'm not sure if it's 20 amps or not. I can tell you I haven't noticed any additional power. But I do really like the additional features the display comes with. I've been trying to get Luis to sell me the CCS light since the new controller has the red wire connection for the light. He's been telling me they have none in stock. I'll charge my battery full this afternoon and pull up the details screen to see what i'm drawing off the battery. Although I haven't noticed any additional power, i'm draining the battery to 5o% daily on my 12 mile daily round trip commute. I have the 12AH batter, and I used to only drain about 30% on same exact commute, but i suppose that could just be due to the aging battery. I always keep it on Sport.

What problems, if any have you had with your CC? I had daily chain drops sometimes 2 or 3 a ride before buying a new chain. I find the suntour shock to be absolute crap, and I had a lot of motor cut outs. My original display crapped out, it would still changed modes but always read eco, which is how I convinced them finally send me the LCD display which i paid for when i bought the bike.

I think there’s a way to display the motor power on the LCD display. If you pedal and hold the throttle at the same time in ‘S’ mode the Cross Current S gives you the full 20A of power. I briefly rode mal robot’s Cross Current S and could definitely feel the extra power when doing this.

My Cross Current has ~7-8k miles on it. I have had a display, controller, torque sensor and one rear spoke replaced under warranty. All the warranty work was done by my dealer so it was no big deal for me since I would just pick the bike up a day later after it had been fixed. I did have the chain drop problem but youth suggested flipping the chainring guard 180 degrees and that fixed it for me. I do get some power cutouts over big bumps with my 17.4Ah battery but it doesn’t really bother me. I might try re-doing the Velcro I used to shim the battery originally to keep it from rocking side-to-side.

This seems to be the paragon you installed with the 1-1/8 in non tapered steerer? www.bikeman.com/FK6516.html

I guess I was curious if it could double as a workstand.

That does look like the correct fork from the description.

Trying to decipher the specs on (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) there may be 3 models, the normal 1-1/8 one (AM?), an XL (extra long?), & a tapered model for the big headtubes.

Back