Out of the box brand new?

Gary lytle

Noticed rear disk was warped and squeeked tried adjusting no help.I also noticed a wobble in the gear cluster? the headlight will not stay on while riding. Contacted radpower bikes their response was that the gear cluster will straighten out the under load, could not verify that while riding? And I quote from radpower bikes unfortunately this is normal wear and tear component and the adjustment/replacement of one would not be covered under warranty. WTF

That doesn't sound good. Not sure I favor the response from Rad on this one. We should expect a bike in "excellent" condition out of the box. As far as then saying that this is normal wear and tear items, that should not apply to new out of the box. Did they understand that this has zero mile on it?

I have had god luck with my Rad Rover so far. Unfortunately, Rad doesn't unbox the bike from China to do a last "quality check" before send out to the customer.

Assuming you paid for this with a credit card (and not a debit card or some other method) just call your credit card company, tell them that Rad is refusing to honor their warranty, tell them you'll ship it back and to charge back the amount you paid for it. The credit card company realizes that you, not Rad is their customer and they could care less, they're not going to take a hit, Rad is. Maybe if enough customers did this to companies that treat them poorly they would change how they act. After all, they'll end up with a bike that can no longer be sold as new, a charge back of the amount they were paid, plus an additional fee from the card company for the charge back.

I've notice my front disk of my 16 Radrover was out of true. It might have been because the spokes were not set to the same tq levels and some were extremely loose (some took 3-4 360 degree turns to tq). My rear tire on the other Radrover was making a clicking/ticking sound when riding and it was again the spokes being too loose. My rear derailleur was out of alignment and the chain would rub against the tire in 1st/2nd gear. I just used my hand to force it back into alignment. I also had damage to one side of the shipping box near the pedal crank. I ended up loosing a pedal crank because the bolt would not seat the first week of riding. The bolt still wouldn't stay tq using blue loctite (Rad sent replacement bolt).

The (cheaper) bike components and overseas direct shipping can be hit or miss once it arrives at the door step. It has been 2 years and +5600 miles between both Radrovers once I got over the initial shipping and quality issues.

The major downside of buying from an internet supplier, you become the bike mechanic. Have you tried removing the disc, rotate it to a different position, and then retighten? Also check it for burrs on the mounting surface that may induce the warp when tightened down. Minor wobble in the gear cluster is not uncommon. My electric Fat-Tad recumbent has a wobble in it. Has not affected the ride. The headlight may just be a loose connection. You'll have to open up the case to see what the issue is. I thought RadPower was working with Velofix in some locations?

Last edited:
Gary, I'm an avid DIY'er so what I have to say comes from that perspective. When considering a mechanical disc brake, there's an art to get them working without the typical disc brake squeal. Check it out on you tube. If Rad sent you 6 new bikes, there's a very good chance at least 5 of those would have at least 1 brake that squeals. Suggest you look into setting them up unless you already have a lot of experience here.

As far as the wobble in the gear cluster, I'd have to know more about it. The answer you got from Rad is about what I would expect from them. I believe their "techs" are amateur level at best (that's being kind).

If you like the bike other than these 2 issues, I'd fix them myself. Have you looked into their warranty service carrier Velofix? https://www.velofix.com/

Hello - I am new to the forum and just ordered my Rover yesterday... Initially I had planned on assembling the bike myself, however now I am starting to second guess it... Would this issue be resolved if I used the Velofix in my area, or do you think I would get the same response if I has similar issues? Sounds like its SOP from Rad with regards to wear/tear items, so just trying to confirm before the bike arrives.

Me? I would still put it together myself. Replacement disks are inexpensive (worst case), and that freewheel unit is commonly replaced with an 11 tooth unit anyway.

Point is, for what it would cast to have it assembled, that money could be invested in upgrades. Like a seat or that 11 tooth freewheel for instance....

I took my 2016 Radrover to local guy that works on bikes on the side and he put both ebikes together and had me come back a few weeks later to double-check and re-tune everything. After +2 years with the Rovers, I improved my (e)bike knowledge up a few levels and felt confident enough to put the Radcity Step-thru together myself.

The Radcity box came in excellent condition and Rad used a thicker box and way more padding compared to my Radrovers two years ago. The only issue I had was they ran the front brake cable on the Radcity behind the forks. I had the wire cutters, ferrule tips, and crimp tool to correct when I upgraded my brakes on the Radrover a few months ago. I had a lot less issues and it required less time to assemble with the Radcity.

Good thing about the Rover is it is a regular MTB with ebike components added. Upgrading the bike components are extremely easy and pretty much standard with all other regular bikes or fat tire bikes.

If the axle doesn't come out perpendicular to the motor's plane, then the rotor and freewheel gears will do what you describe. Rotate sideways in and out. Ugh. That is bad. most likely a machine defect and requires a new motor.

How can you prove it? I think you have to take offf the wheel, remove freewheel and check both sides f the axle with right angle triangle. Or you shoot a video. The same side of the gears and rotor will be going in and then out at the same time.

If on the other hand, the rotor is warped, then you can just replace it. If not, then the brakes will never work right and I would try to get a new motor/wheel.

How about this. Nice and easy fool proof evidence. Bike on the ground, kick stand down, and pull the bike toward the kickstand enough to lift the rear wheel off the ground. Turn the bike on, and use the hand throttle to turn the rear wheel while watching it.

That should tell you if anything is out of whack. For proof, take a video. Let's see them try and wiggle out of anything seen on a video. Anything but a brake disk anyway.....

First thanks all for responses, I was really hoping for radpower bikes to be a bit more considerate in help with this, other ythan to send me an invoice for part. I sent them a video and that was their response. I'm 66 living on medical s.s in a truck and camper was hoping to use this ebike for a second affordable means of locating dispersed campsites, do not carry more than minamal tools. Wow just another company doing volume no respect or care for customers. :mad: Radpowerbikes

Last edited by a moderator:
As you suggested I did exactly that, tilted the bike onto the kickstand and gave it throttle. That's when I saw the axel wobble as well as the disk, and I did send them a video of what eye saw. I was told that the axel would true not so.

The "axle" is securely fastened on each end to the bike's frame, this leaves me having trouble getting my head wrapped around what you are describing. If the "axle" is wobbling, wouldn't the wheel and tire be wobbling like crazy as well?

Would love to help. Can you post that video here?

Were you able to get the bike fixed? Did Rad cover expenses for parts and labor for needed repairs?

Back