Out of stock until further notice.

The email address I used was [email protected] which appeared on one of the order forms...I got no response. Thanks for looking into this tomjasz…why didnt doug do it?
I think this was a simple miscommunication. Doug is no longer the day-to-day general manager, that is Jeannette’s role since Doug announced he was stepping back into well earned retirement. FWIW I had a question about an order I placed this week so I used the Contact Us form and Jeannette responded within 48 hrs.

Funny they are shipping 52v batteries, there website links to a page claiming 52v batteries are a waste of money and one should stick to 48V. Also when selecting say their Jumbo Shark the website does not list anything about the battery, no voltage, no amp-hour, no watt-hour ratings. No dimensions, nothing.

I would not be in a hurry to deal with this company.

Look in the product description on the right and you will see the voltage, ah and wh rating of each battery, and the type of cells they use. The second product image for each battery showing the side view dimensions is the same as on the EM3EV site and if you want more information you can go to the EM3EV site and look it up.

Doug Snyder was one of the first to stock Bafang mid-drives stateside, compensating for the lack of service from the manufacturer and supporting owners by designing and manufacturing useful tools like the BSB-1 torque arm for Bafang mid-drives, extended axle kit for fat bikes, and the BPT-1 servicing tool, for example, none of which were provided by Bafang, all of which came from years of Doug responding to and supporting his customers. It was that reputation, well documented on Endless Sphere and other ebike forums, that persuaded me five years ago to choose to buy my Bafang motor from California Ebike, the wisdom of that decision was shown subsequently when I killed my controller and Doug provided me with a new OEM part he had in stock on the shelf in his shop in California, not long after Bafang had stopped manufacturing them and the only alternative then available to me was to buy a used controller from a shop in the UK. I bought my first battery from Luna Cycle and that was a great buy too still holding a charge five years later, but I chose to buy my replacement 36v battery through California Ebike because they are a proven parts supplier, I value that they choose to stock quality products (like EM3EV batteries) and stand behind their customers, and I can deal with issues with US based customer service and domestic shipping - my battery was shipped to me from the manufacturer in China but I know if anything goes wrong I can ship it to California, EM3EV design their packs for servicing, and they can order parts like cells and BMS for repair, given the difficulty and expense of shipping battery packs that’s good for me the customer, and probably why EM3EV has worldwide local partner shops listed on their website. I’m really pleased Doug has planned for continuity of operations and that Jeannette will take the business forward so I can continue to rely on California Ebike for my parts alongside other suppliers I trust.

Please read what their customers on this thread wrote, it was FedEx’s fault for screwing up the shipping so he chose to cancel his order rather than wait, while I received my battery.

Last edited:
Look in the product description on the right and you will see the voltage, ah and wh rating of each battery, and the type of cells they use. The second product image for each battery showing the side view dimensions is the same as on the EM3EV site and if you want more information you can go to the EM3EV site and look it up.

Doug Snyder was one of the first to stock Bafang mid-drives stateside, compensating for the lack of service from the manufacturer and supporting owners by designing and manufacturing useful tools like the BSB-1 torque arm for Bafang mid-drives, extended axle kit for fat bikes, and the BPT-1 servicing tool, for example, none of which were provided by Bafang, all of which came from years of Doug responding to and supporting his customers. It was that reputation, well documented on Endless Sphere and other ebike forums, that persuaded me five years ago to choose to buy my Bafang motor from California Ebike, the wisdom of that decision was shown subsequently when I killed my controller and Doug provided me with a new OEM part he had in stock on the shelf in his shop in California, not long after Bafang had stopped manufacturing them and the only alternative then available to me was to buy a used controller from a shop in the UK. I bought my first battery from Luna Cycle and that was a great buy too still holding a charge five years later, but I chose to buy my replacement 36v battery through California Ebike because they are a proven parts supplier, I value that they choose to stock quality products (like EM3EV batteries) and stand behind their customers, and I can deal with issues with US based customer service and domestic shipping. I’m really pleased Doug has planned for continuity of operations and that Jeannette will take the business forward so I can continue to rely on California Ebike for my parts alongside other suppliers I trust.

Please read what their customers on this thread wrote, it was FedEx’s fault for screwing up the shipping so he chose to cancel his order rather than wait, while I received my battery.
There are a lot of issues in this industry, and the DIY side is hardly thriving. No one can evaluate the basic and very low priced packs out of China. One guy is using Chinese cells, another Tesla, and so forth. I have a Luna battery, lightly used, and the BMS units go bad. They look like something out of a Cracker Jack box, but less fun. The US industry is locked into 7-10 year old cells, and they just hammer away at how bad any other cell is. And yet, if you look at who owns the EV market, it includes CATL and BYD. Cars are harder than ebikes. I bought a Cal Ebike bracket to hold the BBS02 in place. Not a lot of metal, for $20. You basically bend it until it is flat. The hose clamp isn't ideal. I use the bracket with two hose clamps and a zip tie around the motor. That seems to hold, but I have no faith. Bafang includes a ring and a hoop on the new M version of the HD. It was a horrible design, the bracket with the 'teeth'. But who competes with Bafang? Tongsheng.

I'm not sure where the Chinese are going and they are pursuing several paths. More and more Chinese pack companies have a US warehouse. There was talk Paul would have parts in the US, maybe with that guy in the Midwest. Never happened. This doesn't seem to be going so well. I don't know why Bafang would not favor Chinese sellers of their motors. Look at Eunorau. I don't know why Bafang wouldn't lock down their motors, encourage people to use their packs. What do Bosch and Shimano and those guys do? I'm building, welding, an LFP pack with K2. This seems like the way to go. Safer, longer lasting, and big cells are easy to weld. It will meet my needs for around $100 in parts.

It seems like there is a better chance for US companies to have a bigger role in light or off road motorcycles. There could be a lot more competition. Bafang is a huge company that has grown incredibly over the past two years of super growth in the industry. Bafang is a force. The US just sells stuff. We got nothing out of these growth years but super polished marketing campaigns. The profits may disappear and then the US has nothing. Bafang built a hugely successful company. Chinese pack companies get better and better, and more focused on the US.

20210828_084257.jpg

I did initially consider buying a Sondors 36v bullet pack to replace my Luna battery which would be a simple swap as the cradle is the same, I decided to go with an EM3EV pack because of the serviceability, individual cell fusing for peace of mind sake when charging indoors, because Paul is from my home town in the UK and I want him to succeed, and because I know California Ebike stand behind their customers.

I’ve read good things about the battery packs Matt Bzura/bicyclemotorworks assemble near Philly, and maybe I would have tried him if I hadn’t decided on EM3EV, I like supporting US and Canadian ebike businesses that add value and provide good customer service. If ever ebike Govt subsidies happen I hope they will also apply to DIY, I agree there are much larger issues with domestic manufacturing and workforce development that need prioritizing, but I also want to support small business like California Ebike that place orders with US small machine shops for their custom parts.

Last edited:

I’ve read good things about the battery packs Matt Bzura/bicyclemotorworks assemble near Philly, and maybe I would have tried him if I hadn’t decided on EM3EV, I like supporting US and Canadian ebike businesses that add value and provide good customer service. If ever ebike Govt subsidies happen I hope they will also apply to DIY
I do have a custom pack from bicyclemotorworks, I'm happy with it. I think they know what they are doing, but their pack dimensions are very loose, and I've had issues contacting them. Still I like their packs and I may buy again from them for my custom uses.

Last edited:

Not sure what's up; today their batteries have descriptions in the titles and in the description.

Their news feed is still linking to the article disparaging 52V batteries though.
1630250194833.png

I’m saddened to read disinformation. How does “interesting observation” become “disparaging”?

Doug published a posting by Matt, owner of empowered cycles. A competitor selling BBSxx series kits and batteries. It’s another OPINION. No one is disparaging any battery. A fairly significant number of shops and customers prefer 48V and lowered Amp settings. No significant loss of performance but it’s thought the refused power might increase motor life.

Last edited:

Just waiting for their marketing to catch up. Seems like they are mostly interested in finding dealers, but the website update/fix was a good move. Not sure there is enough margin for 2 middle men. It might help US manufactures which would be good, if they can figure out how to be good manufactures again after a long absence.

Lots of BBSxx series kit buyers want a shop to support them. Making unfounded assumptions and trashing someone you know zip about is deplorable.

I think this was a simple miscommunication. Doug is no longer the day-to-day general manager, that is Jeannette’s role since Doug announced he was stepping back into well earned retirement. FWIW I had a question about an order I placed this week so I used the Contact Us form and Jeannette responded within 48 hrs.
Thanks for the simple explanation. I can accept that explanation more than the attempts to discredit my expectations in dealing with them.

Hopefully some of my feedback will be incorporated. Their website needs alot of updates and added features which I have outlined, the lack of such can lead to negative comments and assumptions by people who are not directly related to the company.

I will continue to buy from them if/when needed

Last edited:
Lots of BBSxx series kit buyers want a shop to support them. Making unfounded assumptions and trashing someone you know zip about is deplorable.
We all do this, you included. You made quite alot of assumptions about me and Im pretty sure you dont know me. I can point out similar behavior by you in other posts both here and on endless-sphere.

I made assumptions based on previous experience in dealing with similar situations with other companies (emails seem to get lost). Were my assumptions wrong? I will never know

People will make bad assumptions when they feel like their issues are not being handled seriously or ignored. Things like bad email links in order forms, not relating stock status to customers either prior to ordering or after ordering will only make things worse. Calling them deplorable in public forums isnt what someone who claims to be the customer service guy should be doing.

If every time a red car passes you, a rock falls out of the sky and hits you on the head, are you deplorable for twitching the next time a red car passes you?

Last edited:
For the record I was not trashing them, I was suggesting caution.

Bafang is serious, if you are doing Bafang stuff:

Attachments

• Bafang_-_Press_release_-_Bafang_to_set_up_Third_Chinese_Subsidiary_-_EN.pdf
    336.8 KB · Views: 322
To get back on the original topic.

Assuming all the delivery issues get sorted out and there is quick shipping within the USA (hopefully faster than the 2 weeks EM3EV takes), what is the advantage of buying EM3EV batteries from california ebike?

Will you personally be handling battery/warranty issues. Will you be the go between to EM3EV? Will warranty replacements come from california ebike.

Just trying to help here. None of this has been mentioned yet.

Last edited:
Back