Origin8 Supercells Fat Tire Update

Barry S

For those of you considering the Origin8 Supercells as a quieter road tire for your fat tire bike but haven't been able to find them online, I received an email from Gary Mendenhall at Origin8 in response to my email about it and he informed me, "The SuperCells we will not have back in stock until mid to late September unfortunately."

The Speedsters are #2 on my list.

BTW, for those looking for 20x4 road tires, you can buy the Speedsters in that size direct from Vee Tire. With the popularity of folding fat tire bikes, hopefully more "quiet" tire offerings will become available.

Has anyone use these Chicane-N-26x3.5(2018). I like the tread pattern on them.
Just wondering if they are a good choice .

1527027210858.png

I saw these tires at 26X3 from Soul Beach Cruisers and they are very similar to Origin8 at $25 per tire:
Thanks for the link and pic. Love the look. Don't really need the advertising, so I found the same tire without it on Ebay. Looking for more detailed info on these such as TPI rating.

Last edited:
Got the following response from the General Manager at Soul Beach Cruisers: "The tire carcass runs cotton threads at 60 TPI with a wire bead. There isnt added puncture protection. The tread is fairly thick on the running surface with a solid 1/4" of rubber above the grooves."

Got to appreciate a company that actually responds to a customer question.

At $25 per tire, it looks like a good substitute for a while if the Supercells are hard to find. My guess is the supercells are hard to find because of the start of the riding season. You might have to purchase Supercells in the fall/winter and stock up for the spring/summer.

Supercells are available on amazon. They keep messaging me "do you want to repurchase?" Im on my 2nd season and I love them. Smooth and grippy. Mud, not so much.

I’m trying out the Origin8 Supercell on the rear of my Juiced Bike HF1000. I ran the Captiv8er on the bike since I got it. That tire had 1800 miles on it, and I averaged a flat tire every 175 miles. The frequency of flats really seemed to increase as the tire aged. I ride the same route everyday, but it could be just more road debris or bad luck.

Hopefully this is the tire for me, it feels a lot thicker than the Captiv8er and even with the wire bead it wasn’t too hard to mount up.

I ordered a pair from BicycleBuys.com and received them yesterday for my RadRover that arrives on Tuesday. Going to insert Mr. Tuffy 3XL tire liners too before I even hit the road. BTW, BicycleBuys was the only merchant I could find that still has them in stock. They're the 3rd party seller on Amazon for them but it's cheaper if you order direct from their website instead of through Amazon. Saved $25 on the tires and shipping by skipping Amazon this time.

I ordered a pair from BicycleBuys.com and received them yesterday for my RadRover that arrives on Tuesday. Going to insert Mr. Tuffy 3XL tire liners too before I even hit the road. BTW, BicycleBuys was the only merchant I could find that still has them in stock. They're the 3rd party seller on Amazon for them but it's cheaper if you order direct from their website instead of through Amazon. Saved $25 on the tires and shipping by skipping Amazon this time.

Yep, that’s where I bought the tire. I’m also running tire liners as well.

Have you tried tire sealant in your tube? I did that the last 500 miles and had mixed results. Sealant is good for small stuff, but I kept running into monster road debris that seemed to tear the tire and tube instead of just puncturing a small hole.

I had three punctures with Stan's sealant in the tube. One time it worked perfectly, the other two times I had huge goopy mess and wondered if the mess was worth the time and hassle saved with the one time it worked.

In my experience with Supercells so, far: Make your front tire 20+psi to minimize "tread-steering," that goes away after the rubber has been ridden awhile. For a week, I've set mine to 28psi for fun, no issues, rolled like it was on rails. The rear tire you want around 15psi or less bc the bumps are harder on the rim, your body, the axles etc... You will roll fast and its easy to forget how hard a small curb can bang you[and your bike] up at high speed. You will see what I mean soon enough... The braking distance is way better than the juggers as well... Last thing, I have never used liners without ever getting a flat. I almost ordered them too and stopped for whatever reason. It all depends where you ride. I have zero experience or opinions about it. I'd like to hear how you feel about the liners bc one day I may need them too.

Glad your order is landing soon!!

Thanks for the info. The reviews are mixed on how effective tire liners are but I figured since I'm putting new tires on I may as well give it a shot. All of my riding will be on asphalt roads with the usual hazards of glass shards, nails, screws, etc.

Back