Orbea Gain M20 - Battery Life???

Zeek you must be in a colder part of Canada than me. I'm in Vancouver and while I frequently ride in less than 15C, today I got to ride in weather that was about 17C. It was very nice.

I did a 74 km ride and that used 31% of my battery. Granted we went fairly slow, but I've been pleasantly surprised at how much range I get on my bike. I'll have to go for a longer ride with my Cat 3 buddies and see how far I can get before the battery dies.

Forgot to mention I'm on a Creo so the battery is bigger than the Gain. I have a 320 wh battery vs. 240 or 250 wh in the Gain. The range extender for the Gain is bigger than the Creo's range extender, so if both have the range extender I think they're about the same amount of battery capacity.

Zeek you must be in a colder part of Canada than me. I'm in Vancouver and while I frequently ride in less than 15C, today I got to ride in weather that was about 17C. It was very nice.

I did a 74 km ride and that used 31% of my battery. Granted we went fairly slow, but I've been pleasantly surprised at how much range I get on my bike. I'll have to go for a longer ride with my Cat 3 buddies and see how far I can get before the battery dies.

Forgot to mention I'm on a Creo so the battery is bigger than the Gain. I have a 320 wh battery vs. 240 or 250 wh in the Gain. The range extender for the Gain is bigger than the Creo's range extender, so if both have the range extender I think they're about the same amount of battery capacity.
Edmonton. Still snow on the ground. Which Creo? The range extender on the Gain only gives at best another 60 km. Little disappointed in that. But happy to have it. Lets me go anywhere. Ride season just beginning here. Might have looked at Creos if they had been available a year ago. All my other bikes have been Specialized and enjoyed them. My ebike here in Canada is actually a Bianchi as the Gains were not available. Not much difference with the Gain except no di2 and more expensive.

First Ride Battery Report:

I rode 65 miles yesterday North and Northeast of Boulder, Colorado which has some hills, rollers, flats, false flats, etc....I rode up the Canyon on Highway 36 past Lyons towards Estes Park a little ways too. Here are some things to take into context about the ride. The wind was mild and I also ride in the slipstream of my buddy the entire ride who's a strong rider in Iron Man training. My fitness is not nearly up to his so getting the Gain allows me to keep up with him. Normally he's waiting for me on all the hills, and waiting a while on the big ones.

Ride Stats:
65 miles
3000k total vert
Average Speed 17.7 mph
Battery use: 46%

My stats:
Orbea Gain M30 - Medium
160 lbs / 5'9" / 34 years old

Also meant to add my battery mapping for most of the ride. I adjusted it a few times as my leg power fell, but this is generally what it was at. I may be off a few % points here and there, but I believe I was

Green / Orange / Red
65-70 / 50-55 / 45ish

Last edited:
Those stats are really good. Your range is really good. The only thing I'd wonder about is how often were you riding above the speed cut-off? The range is so good that I'm wondering if the motor was off a significant part of the time due to your speed.

As an aside, we're the same height and weight, so I find the stats even more interesting.

Zeek, I have the Creo Comp E5, which is the aluminum one and the cheapest one they offer. I think it's a really good deal. It's $5k US but in Canada it's only $6k Cdn, so a favourable exchange rate was applied to it. I never thought I'd spend so much on a bike, let alone think it was a good deal. One thing that I never expected is that you get a "free" power meter when you buy the bike. I've never used a power meter before and wasn't willing to put out the money for one. But since the software needs to know how much power you're putting in to determine how much it's going to have the motor output it's always measuring your power anyways. They have a setting that allows you to broadcast that information to a computer/wearable, so I've been really having some fun seeing my power numbers. I don't race or ride competitively so it's not like it's essential data. It's just a novelty for me, but it's still fun to see the numbers.

I rode 65 miles yesterday North and Northeast of Boulder, Colorado which has some hills, rollers, flats, false flats, etc....I rode up the Canyon on Highway 36 past Lyons towards Estes Park a little ways too. Here are some things to take into context about the ride. The wind was mild and I also ride in the slipstream of my buddy the entire ride who's a strong rider in Iron Man training. My fitness is not nearly up to his so getting the Gain allows me to keep up with him. Normally he's waiting for me on all the hills, and waiting a while on the big ones.

Ride Stats:
65 miles
3000k total vert

My stats:
Orbea Gain M30 - Medium
160 lbs / 5'9"

Also meant to add my battery mapping for most of the ride. I adjusted it a few times as my leg power fell, but this is generally what it was at. I may be off a few % points here and there, but I believe I was

Green / Orange / Red
65-70 / 50-55 / 45ish
You are 30lbs lighter than I am but would suggest if you did 65 miles and 3000 ft on 45% that is as good as I have heard of. The only way I can do that is by switching on and off.

Ride Stats:
65 miles
3000k total vert

My stats:
Orbea Gain M30 - Medium
160 lbs / 5'9"

Green / Orange / Red
65-70 / 50-55 / 45ish

Yeah, that's looking good. As I've mentioned before, I often get 100+ miles. Here in the UK cut off is 15.5mph

I also forgot to put my age in the stats, however I'm not saying that makes any difference as Fitness level is everything. But it's somewhat relevant in the stats.

My stats:
Orbea Gain M30 - Medium
160 lbs / 5'9" / 34 years old

I was trying to make the ride only slightly assisted until I absolutely needed it to keep up on the false flats and then of course definitely on the hills. I think the biggest key here is that I was in my friend's slip the entire time and I ride fairly close as we have over 1k miles of riding together. The goal in buying the Gain was for me to keep up with him, which I can do normally in his slipstream on flatter/shorter rides. But definitely not big long rides with climbing, I need the assist otherwise I slow him down a lot.

Aside from the true downhills where over 20 mph is obvious, we were over 20 mph in the flats somewhat and especially when we had a tail wind or slight downhill. Oh i forgot to add the average speed to the stats. It was 17.7mph.

Also FWIW, my legs are tired and sore today. So i was putting in work.

Last edited:
You are 30lbs lighter than I am but would suggest if you did 65 miles and 3000 ft on 45% that is as good as I have heard of. The only way I can do that is by switching on and off.

The 3500 ft of climbing is an impressive figure for 45% usage, agreed. I'm always more interested if feet climbed than mileage when assessing usage, that's what really hurts the battery.

The 3500 ft of climbing is an impressive figure for 45% usage, agreed. I'm always more interested if feet climbed than mileage when assessing usage, that's what really hurts the battery.
It was probably just a little shy of 3,000' I think he rounded up when he texted me, not 3,500 but still a lot. I didn't see the Strava, he keeps track of all that and I don't. I know there were about 3 climbs over 500' and then smaller ones that just added to the total over 65 miles. I did most of those three 500' climbs in Orange which was around 50% I think.

What's the 100% levels again of Green/Orange/Red. is it 100/180/250?

It was probably just a little shy of 3,000' I think he rounded up when he texted me, not 3,500 but still a lot. I didn't see the Strava, he keeps track of all that and I don't. I know there were about 3 climbs over 500' and then smaller ones that just added to the total over 65 miles. I did most of those three 500' climbs in Orange which was around 50% I think.

What's the 100% levels again of Green/Orange/Red. is it 100/180/250?
34?? Jaxx, tell him how old you and I are.

We haven't had much decent weather here yet and when it does get a little more mild it's windy as hell. I did get out for one on Saturday and it was 40 F and the wind was gusting over 30mph. I had to keep it set to the red zone and on the flats where I can normally maintain just over 20 I was struggling to maintain 18.
Anyway total ride was 18.5 Miles, 19.3 Mph Avg with a little over 1,100 ft of elevation gain. At the end of the 56 Min ride I had 48% battery left. I'm 61, 180lbs, 5'-11"

Might have to make a trip to ride with you Jaxx. Feel like you are already one of my ride mates.

Warning Zeek, I'm a back wheel sucker. Then I'll come round you in the final 200 yards for the win. That's how I got just about all my wins. Was once racing in Sri Lanka, couldn't believe it at the start line? My team where riding Colnago's with Campy equipped parts. All the local riders where also well turned out in club gear however, they where riding Miss Marple bikes. Sit Up and Begs with steel rod brakes. It was crazy, in the first mile, car wing mirrors where sent flying. Happy Days.

Might have to make a trip to ride with you Jaxx. Feel like you are already one of my ride mates.

Zeek, don't know if you ride indoors? I do especially at the moment. I've got a Saris smart trainer, hooked up to the TV. I use Rouvy to ride routes the world over. Can highly recommend. Will be riding round the reservoir later near Denver.

Zeek, don't know if you ride indoors? I do especially at the moment. I've got a Saris smart trainer, hooked up to the TV. I use Rouvy to ride routes the world over. Can highly recommend. Will be riding round the reservoir later near Denver.
I bought a
Ha! I bought a Cyclops smart trainer 2 years ago hoping I could get motivated to ride indoors. Set the everything up and it sat in the basement until my wife made me take it down to make room for Xmas.

My outdoor ride season is very schizophrenic. Can ride here in Canada from mid April to mid October. Take 3 weeks off until we go to AZ first week in November. Ride there for 5 weeks. Come home for Xmas. Take about 7 weeks off until we go back to AZ first week in February. We like to travel in January as we have to watch our number of days in US. This year is all screwed up with the craziness in the world right now. We had to come back to Canada mid March and I rode for first time since then last Friday. Rode Sunday and will go out tomorrow as I hope to do every second day.

Back