Orbea Gain Assembly

yungleen

Hello everyone,

I have purchased an Orbea Gain M20i online and it should arrive this week. I have talked to a local shop and am planning on have them assemble everything for me but they are not able to tell me yet how long it will be. If it is going to be a long wait, I may try to assemble it myself.

Has anyone assembled their gain themselves? Is it fairly straightforward? I do most of my own work on my other bikes and have tools but I have never worked on or even tried di2 or carbon bikes. Is there much setup with the di2? Not sure how much of this is set up right out of the box.. Will I need a torque wrench? Any recommendations?

I have not been too impressed with the work from a couple of local bike shops. I have a local guy that helps me out if I get stuck on something but I don't know if he has experience with carbon parts and di2 also. This shop I am talking with is a different one.

Hello everyone,

I have purchased an Orbea Gain M20i online and it should arrive this week. I have talked to a local shop and am planning on have them assemble everything for me but they are not able to tell me yet how long it will be. If it is going to be a long wait, I may try to assemble it myself.

Has anyone assembled their gain themselves? Is it fairly straightforward? I do most of my own work on my other bikes and have tools but I have never worked on or even tried di2 or carbon bikes. Is there much setup with the di2? Not sure how much of this is set up right out of the box.. Will I need a torque wrench? Any recommendations?

I have not been too impressed with the work from a couple of local bike shops. I have a local guy that helps me out if I get stuck on something but I don't know if he has experience with carbon parts and di2 also. This shop I am talking with is a different one.
Hi Yungleen,
I recieved my Carbon M30 gain though the post last month and last November I also had a Carbon Merlin Cordite delivered in the same fashion. Both bikes were almost identical in the way I had to build them.
Basically they were built and PDI'd in store, including gear set up. Handle bars removed and shipped.
Fear not it took 20 minutes, to build as removing and maneuvering amongst the packaging was the longest task.
Basically it was attach the handlebars, all cables are attached. A little longer of course to make it fit you. (Still tweaking mine a month later haha)
If I remember correctly, the seat post and front wheel needed dropping in on the first bike, but the Gain was just the handlebar. I suppose this is down to the supplying dealer and the size of the packaging they use.
I understand your concerns re the delicate nature of Carbon and the need for a torque wrench, but its by no means necessary for the items involved. In my case the handlebar stem was aluminium so not an issue. Put it on, nip it up gently, align the front wheel and tighten. The seat post was carbon on carbon, and came with a paste that says it reduces the amount of torque required to create a solid fix, so rang a few alarm bells, but a gentle nip in place and a little bit more was more than enough to hold it in place.
In essence almost every allen bolt has a torque rating printed alongside it. This can panic the life out of you. The torque required varies of course, but the size of the bolts also equates to the amount of force required. Low torque = tiny allen key. So its a pretty ham fisted person who overtightens things, especially as you are aware of the consequences. Oh, you have to attach your choice of pedals of course.
So basically nothing more than adjusting parts as you would during your normal ownership of a cycle. Seat position and handlbar position, pump up the tyres and your ready to go.

Gears were set pretty perfectly on both bikes and have require a little tweaking as cables have stretched. I can't comment on the di2 set up, in terms of the power/batteries, but if anything is required out of the ordinary, it should be fully instructed and user friendly. Youtube is always a great place if you like a visual walk through. I have read on forums that the head set has come loose on a few bikes, but that was last year and was just a few. Again YouTube is your friend.

The setting up of the ebike motion app and registering the bike and guarantee take longer than the build. Please ensure you register the bike and wheels first, then the app and wait for your email verifications before each step. That way the app knows you are eligable for free maps. I was so impatient I downloaded maps before it was registered only to be charged. A nominal fee in the grand scheme of things but a bit annoying.

Probably took longer to read this than put your bike together.

Great to hear! The dealer I bought from did mention building the bike before shipping but wasn't sure what that meant. I will attempt to set up the bike myself, doesn't sound like it will be too hard. Thanks!

If Di2 gears do need adjusting download the Shimano dealers manual for the gears. Following that I found the adjustment was very easy.

Hi Yungleen,
I recieved my Carbon M30 gain though the post last month and last November I also had a Carbon Merlin Cordite delivered in the same fashion. Both bikes were almost identical in the way I had to build them.
Basically they were built and PDI'd in store, including gear set up. Handle bars removed and shipped.
Fear not it took 20 minutes, to build as removing and maneuvering amongst the packaging was the longest task.
Basically it was attach the handlebars, all cables are attached. A little longer of course to make it fit you. (Still tweaking mine a month later haha)
If I remember correctly, the seat post and front wheel needed dropping in on the first bike, but the Gain was just the handlebar. I suppose this is down to the supplying dealer and the size of the packaging they use.
I understand your concerns re the delicate nature of Carbon and the need for a torque wrench, but its by no means necessary for the items involved. In my case the handlebar stem was aluminium so not an issue. Put it on, nip it up gently, align the front wheel and tighten. The seat post was carbon on carbon, and came with a paste that says it reduces the amount of torque required to create a solid fix, so rang a few alarm bells, but a gentle nip in place and a little bit more was more than enough to hold it in place.
In essence almost every allen bolt has a torque rating printed alongside it. This can panic the life out of you. The torque required varies of course, but the size of the bolts also equates to the amount of force required. Low torque = tiny allen key. So its a pretty ham fisted person who overtightens things, especially as you are aware of the consequences. Oh, you have to attach your choice of pedals of course.
So basically nothing more than adjusting parts as you would during your normal ownership of a cycle. Seat position and handlbar position, pump up the tyres and your ready to go.

Gears were set pretty perfectly on both bikes and have require a little tweaking as cables have stretched. I can't comment on the di2 set up, in terms of the power/batteries, but if anything is required out of the ordinary, it should be fully instructed and user friendly. Youtube is always a great place if you like a visual walk through. I have read on forums that the head set has come loose on a few bikes, but that was last year and was just a few. Again YouTube is your friend.

The setting up of the ebike motion app and registering the bike and guarantee take longer than the build. Please ensure you register the bike and wheels first, then the app and wait for your email verifications before each step. That way the app knows you are eligable for free maps. I was so impatient I downloaded maps before it was registered only to be charged. A nominal fee in the grand scheme of things but a bit annoying.

Probably took longer to read this than put your bike together.
Did you use the paste on the seat post?

Back