Opinions on rad city vs pace 500

Jtac15

Hi im new to the forum and would like some help on choosing an ebike. Ive narrowed my search down to the aventon pace 350 or 500 and the radcity. My daily ride every day is flat some traffic and about 10 miles each way. can anyone give me opinions on which bike would be best for an ebike noob. the price range of the bikes is about where i want to be and havent test riden either. I like the look of the pace better then the radcity but i like that the radcity comes with lights and the rack included. Other then that i cant decide on which to buy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
jtac15

Hello Jtac. I've ridden both and they are both great budget bikes. Personally I prefer the Pace 500. It's lighter, nimbler, better handling and much quicker than the RadCity. I think Aventon has a much better dealer network with their approach than RadPower does, although Rad gets many kudos for their on-line support. If you are heavier, the RadCity will feel a bit sluggish with it's direct drive, 40 nm motor, both on the flats and the hills, but it does have regenerative braking.

One thing I really like about the Pace 500 and 350 is how easy they are to pedal with no electrical assist. In my mind, this gives them almost unlimited range as you can pedal just like a non-electric bike. The RadCity would be a bear to pedal without assistance for any significant distance. Finally, the two things I did not like about the Pace ... 1) you have to pedal a revolution before you can use the throttle and 2) the bike accelerates very quickly to 12 mph in PAS level 1. Some people don't like this, but many more praise the bike for it's sporty feel and quickness. The Pace 350 is less abrupt because of the smaller motor, but depending on your weight, may feel underpowered. I weigh 195, and it was adequate for me, and perfect for my 125 lb wife.

Last edited:
Hello Jtac. I've ridden both and they are both great budget bikes. Personally I prefer the Pace 500. It's lighter, nimbler, better handling and much quicker than the RadCity. I think Aventon has a much better dealer network with their approach than RadPower does, although Rad gets many kudos for their on-line support. If you are heavier, the RadCity will feel a bit sluggish with it's direct drive, 40 nm motor, both on the flats and the hills, but it does have regenerative braking.

One thing I really like about the Pace 500 and 350 is how easy they are to pedal with no electrical assist. In my mind, this gives them almost unlimited range as you can pedal just like a non-electric bike. The RadCity would be a bear to pedal without assistance for any significant distance. Finally, the two things I did not like about the Pace ... 1) you have to pedal a revolution before you can use the throttle and 2) the bike accelerates very quickly to 12 mph in PAS level 1. Some people don't like this, but many more praise the bike for it's sporty feel and quickness. The Pace 350 is less abrupt because of the smaller motor, but depending on your weight, may feel underpowered. I weigh 195, and it was adequate for me, and perfect for my 125 lb wife.
Phoenixtoohot
Thanks for the info. I’ve definately made my choice to get a pace. Now its just the option of the 350 or 500.
Do you prefer either one over the other? Im 175 Lbs . Ill ride almost every day from March thru november. I currently use my traditional bike as my commuter to work. Am looking to get a 350step thru for my wife and and either a 350 or 500 for myself.

Personally, I would go with the 500 for myself as I weigh 195 lbs. It also has a bigger battery, an adjustable stem and hydraulic brakes, which are easier to maintain in my opinion. As I said, the main caveat with the 500 is the somewhat abrupt acceleration to 12 mph in PAS level 1. As a commuter, this may not be an issue, as you want to get to cruising speed quickly. I also like how the 500 feels sporty, kind of athletic ... I like it. For casual riding around town, it could be a problem for some. Again, the nice thing about the Pace 500 and 350, is the easy pedaling with no assist. I think you would like the 500 in the commuter role, and you could just pedal with no assist, and supplement with the throttle, for casual riding under 12 mph.

Last edited:
well the 500 is a class 3 bike so if you want to go ver 20 it is going to do it. or at least has the potential of doing it. plus hydraulic brakes verses mechanical. quality between the two? no real way to tell for sure. the 500 does not say it is geared so it may be Moree like the rad. maybe chem kthis thread and you may find something better https://electricbikereview.com/foru...otion-bikes-over-50-off-on-some-models.31836/
For these type of bikes hydraulic vs mechanical brakes has little value. I'd actually argue that the mechanical brakes are better for the casual user as they are easier to adjust and service than the hydraulic and provide just as good of stopping power in real life.

I'm not a fan of the Pace's smaller battery (11.6Ah / 556.8Wh) than Rad's.

Last edited:
Pace 500 will have better range and can be easily pedaled with no assist. Radcity DD and weight make pedaling with no assist very difficult. Most people and reviewers do not Factor this in when calculating range

Pace 500 will have better range and can be easily pedaled with no assist. Radcity DD and weight make pedaling with no assist very difficult. Most people and reviewers do not Factor this in when calculating range
Sorry but I'm not buying one of these to ride it w/o assist.

Back