Open discussion for winter riders.

john peck

Open discussion for hardcore winter riders:

Is colder weather affecting battery performance? How do you treat frostbite? any fool thing from winter riders.

I just rode 38 miles starting at 31 degrees Fahrenheit and ending at 38. I consumed 41% of 1,000 watt hours in battery, not very hilly, average speed was 16.7, in Bosch EMTB mode 3 out of 4. It works out to just under 2 watts per mile which is quite close to what I would use on a warm July day. I do keep the batteries at 55 degrees until I ride and have neoprene covers on them.

Frostbite just close ur eyes take a deep breath of the salt air🤣 and pretend ur at the beach!(They put down so much this past week u can smell it). I wear Darn tough socks and a pair of Iron ridge 400g boots. I have even warmer boots if I need them but I doubt I will . I let you know if I do, my ride to work is around 3am and live in northern N.H. it is only a 4.7 mile though

Winter here has grown progressively milder here over the last 20 years. We actually had seven below in
mid-December back then; this year we've had just one frost. Still gets cold, today 39F feels like 28 with
88% humidity.(feels like 8F at 20 mph on a bike). Still beats the hell out a winter in 1960s Gunnison,
Colorado, -58f , white hair on a 50 yd walk to class. I don't much miss that kinda winter, but damp
cold can still chill to the bone.

It isn't the temperature that keeps me off my bike but rather the surface conditions. I've had too many close calls and a couple of minor accidents so I no longer enjoy road riding. There aren't many safe roads in my area anyway. We get quite a bit of snow and most trail surfaces aren't maintained around here in winter. Except for a few forest fire roads that are plowed, there just aren't that many winter riding options.

When I do ride in cold weather, I'm comfortable down to around 30 degrees. Below that, the bulky clothing I need to wear takes most of the enjoyment out of riding. Due to my limited winter riding opportunities, I don't see any sense in investing in high tech cold weather gear for myself or my bike.

Instead, I use the winter "layoff" to do detailed planning for next seasons bike trips.

Last edited:
Yup. It is road surface that is important. I'll ride when the ice is gone. I went out yesterday in 30 something degree weather, which I don't consider to be that cold. The roads had finally cleared up with no ice. It snowed a tad bit overnight so I probably won't get a ride in today. Yesterday, I turned what would be a less than a mile round trip to the grocery into a seven mile ride around town.

Around here, when roads in the National Forest are plowed, it usually means that log trucks are using them. Although they are few and far between in our decadent forest, I don't want to add any bother to them.

I wonder, is it me or are drivers more aggressive this time of year? I'm finding my normally polite driving town to have changed into a hurry up, gotta get to the store mode and have had more close calls than during the warmer months. We have NO bike lanes or trails so one has to ride on shared roads which for the most part, have no shoulders either.

I only had frostbite once. Was 6 deg, 20 mph wind, and I was wearing 2 pairs of used gloves. Had to stop and warm up sitting on the beer cartons in a convenience store. Fingers tingled in cold the next couple of years. Bought some genuine wells-lamont made in ***** !@#$$%^ farmer mittens that winter.
I don't ride with black ice on the roads, ie patches of smooth ice developed from puddles. Don't ride through piles of frozen snow pushed in the "bike" lane by the city. Neither happened last year, so rode to grocery every week as usual. This year so far hasn't been below 22 F.

This morning the temp was 26 with a feels like temp of 19. Noticed the bars showing on a freshly charged older battery at these temps dropped down to only 1 bar showing
almost constantly. About time to break out the new battery for the rover.

I have my battery wrapped in a combo of 6mm thick neoprene over 1mm aerogel pad, over a USB heating pad. Even when its 6 Celsius, there's a noticeable difference in battery life.

Given the cost to replace a battery, a few dollars to extend the number of charge cycles (and performance) are worth it. It cost me about $70 Canadian to make the wraps for two bikes, plus usb power packs.

I have my battery wrapped in a combo of 6mm thick neoprene over 1mm aerogel pad, over a USB heating pad. Even when its 6 Celsius, there's a noticeable difference in battery life.

Given the cost to replace a battery, a few dollars to extend the number of charge cycles (and performance) are worth it. It cost me about $70 Canadian to make the wraps for two bikes, plus usb power packs.
over 1mm aerogel pad,

I thought I was the only one who’s using the aerogel. Did you read my thread from awhile ago or were you in the know long time ago ?

For a moment I was mistaken thinking that I was reading my own thread 😉but then had to reread it b/c I do it differently :

-6mm aerogel all around the back of the battery secured with double sided tape all taped with electrical tape

- then once in the downtube , all is covered with the 8mm neoprene cover.

The 6mm It’s safe for Mars up to -300Celsius they say. Meantime here is just great for the battery.

On the spare battery I used the 10mm aerogel. I learned about it 6-7months ago and is an AMAZING product.

I’m Glad someone else is doing it.

We could develop it into a business !! before Bosch steak my idea...allthough they would rather prefer the packs to just degrade

I rode the other day 30F on a full charge. I was down to 2 bars after 11 miles BUT I was riding in ungroomed snow on PAS 2 all the way.

I've been riding a lot more this winter because we haven't had any snow. Some comments.

The cheap clapper bell are not reliable. Wearing gloves, I'm unable to snap the lever. On one bell, even if I snap it with a bare finger, the plastic "spring" is dead and mutes the sound. I'm swatting at my bell and nothing happening. The ding-a-ling bells with a spinning clapper does work though.

Power consumption goes up at 40F. Today, I saw that a ride that normally took 2.4 AH to rcharge the pack now requires 3.3 AH.

i think the lowest i have ridden in was 17F a few weeks ago and my battery has maintained, i have my batteries wrapped in generic Neoprene Tummy Burners, because they are so long they usually wrap around the battery 3 even 4 times giving you multi-layers of neoprene protection.

Last edited:
My cut off is 40 degrees for both motorcycles and bikes of any type. We were out today and it was 42. With gloves and a heavy jacket it was comfortable.

I thought I was the only one who’s using the aerogel. Did you read my thread from awhile ago or were you in the know long time ago ?

Definitely got the idea from the other winter thread. It was a great recco'!

Where did you get your aerogel by the way?

After reading about a bunch of different formats etc., I ended up ordering the 1mm thick 1ft sq pad from Amazon, called Rova Flex Tape. It's tacky against metals, but sticks well to itself. A couple of reviews mentioned it working to insulate portable batteries well, so I gave it a shot.

The DIY combo does the trick down to near 0 C at over 90% of warm weather performance, when unprotected it was about 80%, if not a little less.

The aerogel definitely made a difference in testing, keeping the heat from the USB pad focused on the battery casing as opposed to both it and the neoprene.

With a larger sheet of better aerogel, I might be able to get it even closer.

We could develop it into a business !! before Bosch steak my idea...allthough they would rather prefer the packs to just degrade

I would definitely be a customer, if someone came up with a cover designed for silver fish batteries. An aerogel company that targeted e-bikers could probably do well.

Aerogel? The battery comes wrapped in a 3/8" thick white foam, why not use that? I do, summer & winter. Same stuff wrapped my 32" TV 2 years ago. Reuse, recycle, waste not. I use shipping tape to make a box. Mine is wedge shaped.

Aerogel? The battery comes wrapped in a 3/8" thick white foam, why not use that? I do, summer & winter. Same stuff wrapped my 32" TV 2 years ago. Reuse, recycle, waste not. I use shipping tape to make a box. Mine is wedge shaped.
Oh, I still have most of my packing foam from the bike. :) That foam itself isn't going to do much against the cold, though.

I already tried it my neoprene/USB wrap around it as a template, and it didn't perform half as well as the aerogel.

The thermal properties of even the 1mm aerogel made a huge difference.

I just finished thermal case for my ebike battery (Shark battery 36v 15.6ah). All sides have at least 10mm of aerogel + 2mm thick plastic case (plastic tubes for air ventilation - 1x round, 1x renctagle pipe 11cm wide) Aerogel is not most convenient material (Mechanical processing of product may result in lightweight fragments or dust. Inhalation of excessive amounts of dust from the product may cause mechanical irritation to the respiratory tract. Dermal contact may cause mechanical irritation to the skin.) I cutted aerogel desk to fit in my casing and I used butyl glue + duct tape so aerogel is fully enclosed (no fine dust particles anywhere). I had to use aerogel because I have only 12mm of space on each side (otherwise cranks would hit the case).

First test :
battery had 10C (50F) - garage temperature, outside temp. -5C (23F)
After 40min of riding on full assistance (15amp consumption) equilibrium temp. battery : 6C (42.8F). I was suprised that battery keeps it's temperature even when riding downhill for few minutes.
I used chep wired thermomether sensor located on the top of battery - my estimate is that real temperature inside of battery was more or less ideal around 10C (50F).

It was quite time consuming ~ 20hours of work, but result is great - It will be probably fine even in -10C (14F). Hardest thing is to make as much airproof as possible (I experimented with car door seal, magnetic tape, door isolatiion tape etc...). Biggest source of 'cold' is of course downtube but it's not in direct contact with battery so it works fine as it is. Thermal case is not firmly mounted to the bike frame, there's only magnet to keep it in position (I have steel frame) and battery itself is 'anchor' for whole thermal case as it's really narrowly fitted).

Aerogel : https://www.insulation4less.co.uk/aerogel-spaceloft-blanket-10mm (I ordered long narrow piece 120cm x 20cm x 1cm)

Last edited:
aerogel by the way?

After reading about a bunch of different forma
From ebay. It was expensive on amazon for the amount that I needed.
I use the 6mm and10mm sheets:

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Aerogel and packing foam that was suggested earlier are completely different materials.

One can withstand fire And cold up to Minus 300Celsius , the other one is completely useless for great insulation.

Searching for threads with “aerogel” anyone can see I started the talk and hopefully the invention of having them used for ebikes /cars/trucks/airplanes/submarines/motorcycles space shuttles’s batteries. Batteries made of lithium ion or any other chemicals or metals.
Copyright @Ebiker01

Last edited:
Back