Off roading

Hi, I've had my Moscow plus for about four weeks and have been off roading once across rutted dry fields and long grass. I'm wondering exactly what other terrains the bike will cope with and what I should avoid as YouTube reviews are not clear nor is the write up on the bike. Thanks..

I own a Moscow plus but based on my experience I’d be very careful & ride at slow speeds. Stick to gravel roads/smooth trails only.

I’ve used mine only for commuting to work on roads/bike paths & no off road use. I’ve ridden now approx 1200 km’s but I’ve had the rear wheel spokes break 3 times. It’s easy to do due to weight of the bike hitting a pot hole, speed bump etc

I own a non-electric 29inch hard tail XC mountain bike & I do a lot of mountain bike riding. There is no way I’d take my Moscow plus off road based on my own experience.

Yes.

It doesn't seem like you're doing anything crazy.
Although if you look at the SR Suntour front fork, it may have a sticker not to do hard offroading or downhill, as long as you're not jumping off from height, it is likely fine.

Do you know a YouTuber named Sam Pilgrim? If you check out his channel, he tests a lot of cheap MTBs from Walmart, pretty much ride the crap out of it to see how long it will last. You will see how much of beatings bikes can take til it gives up.

Now, NCM bikes are better than cheap Walmart bike, so you really have to be making a mission to break the bike.

That's great to know, thanks bud. I appreciate your time to comment and feed back.
Dave

I own a Moscow plus but based on my experience I’d be very careful & ride at slow speeds. Stick to gravel roads/smooth trails only.

I’ve used mine only for commuting to work on roads/bike paths & no off road use. I’ve ridden now approx 1200 km’s but I’ve had the rear wheel spokes break 3 times. It’s easy to do due to weight of the bike hitting a pot hole, speed bump etc

I own a non-electric 29inch hard tail XC mountain bike & I do a lot of mountain bike riding. There is no way I’d take my Moscow plus off road based on my own experience.
Okay, thanks for your thoughts.
Dave

Interested in hearing what you've experienced. Just bought one, only 2 real rides in and expect to be on rough trails at some point.

Interested in hearing what you've experienced. Just bought one, only 2 real rides in and expect to be on rough trails at some point.

I ended up getting the rear wheel replaced. So far no issues but I haven’t done a lot of riding with it since it’s been repaired. When I do I take a cautious approach to any speed bumps/kerbs etc to avoid putting any undue loads onto the rear wheel.

I ended up getting the rear wheel replaced. So far no issues but I haven’t done a lot of riding with it since it’s been repaired. When I do I take a cautious approach to any speed bumps/kerbs etc to avoid putting any undue loads onto the rear wheel.
Thanks for your reply
Dave

I don't think the NCM Moscow is great for off-roading. I ended up making several changes to use it as a mountain bike and it works well. First off, the front fork is really not great, it is basically a low-end spring shock. I ended up replacing it with a RockShox ReconRLR which is one of the few that would fit. I also ended up putting on some heavy-duty mountain biking tires, Maxxis Assegai Wide trim 3C/TR - 27.5. Many would say the NCM rims are not not wide enough for these tires but I was able to get them on and they work great. Also since I was getting flats fairly often (not the bikes fault) I added Mr. Tuffy Ultra Tire Liners and Slime self-healing tire tubes. I have had this configuration for a year and done a lot of crazy mountain biking over rocky surfaces and not had a flat. I don't carry a pump anymore and haven't had long walks out of trials due to flats. The bike has held together really well other than the battery holder becoming lose. NCM sent me a new screw but I use heavy duty electrical tape to hold the battery in place. NCM 1.jpgNCM 2.jpg

I havent had any issues after dialing in my psi, adding slime and tire liners. Another fox, I bought a full suspension and gave this one to my wife - expensive solution but I'm happy with it.

I don't think the NCM Moscow is great for off-roading. I ended up making several changes to use it as a mountain bike and it works well. First off, the front fork is really not great, it is basically a low-end spring shock. I ended up replacing it with a RockShox ReconRLR which is one of the few that would fit. I also ended up putting on some heavy-duty mountain biking tires, Maxxis Assegai Wide trim 3C/TR - 27.5. Many would say the NCM rims are not not wide enough for these tires but I was able to get them on and they work great. Also since I was getting flats fairly often (not the bikes fault) I added Mr. Tuffy Ultra Tire Liners and Slime self-healing tire tubes. I have had this configuration for a year and done a lot of crazy mountain biking over rocky surfaces and not had a flat. I don't carry a pump anymore and haven't had long walks out of trials due to flats. The bike has held together really well other than the battery holder becoming lose. NCM sent me a new screw but I use heavy duty electrical tape to hold the battery in place.View attachment 61649View attachment 61648
Many thanks for the advice.

Back