ODK on a bus bike rack?

Edd

Has anybody successfully put the ODK on a bus bike rack? I just moved and it is six miles to the nearest bus stop, and then another thirty miles to work. Can't go the whole way on the bike, but if I can get it on the rack then it makes it doable. From what I have found reading, people say it is just too darn heavy to lift onto the rack. If I can lift it, will it likely fit?

Opinions? Experiences?

Friend of mine works in marketing for the bus company. He said they are very sturdy, and if you can lift it, it should be fine.

You should be fine, as long as you can lift it. The 20 inch tires are the smallest most transit racks hold and the 44 inch wheel base is right at the max most hold. Weight could be a concern, mostly because one never knows how well government vehicles are maintained, given budget constraints.

Here is the most popular transit rack brand used in North America. There are different models, carrying different quantities of bikes, but the other specs run about the same.

https://www.sportworks.com/product/trilogy

I just asked our county what size bicycles fit on Arlington, VA, bus racks and they sent me the following: “We recommend bicycles with no longer than a 44 inch wheel base, 2.3 inch wide tires, wheel diameters of 20 inches or larger and a total weight of 55 pounds or less per bike.” I don’t know what brand racks they use but here are some photos’ of our bus racks: https://www.arlingtontransit.com/pages/about/bike-on-art/

I use the city bus to cart me and my non-ebike up the hill to my house when my wife can't meet me. The carrier is pretty solid, but I wouldn't recommend using them on any bike with a front fender because the carrier's spring-loaded wheel clamp needs to be securely seated on the top of the front tire.

I remember when I tried to put my original cross-current onto one of those bike racks the front of the bus. The wheelbase was too long for it. Not sure how this will affect the odk I can tell you that the cross current doesn't fit

I remember when I tried to put my original cross-current onto one of those bike racks the front of the bus. The wheelbase was too long for it. Not sure how this will affect the odk I can tell you that the cross current doesn't fit

I recall at least one mid-tail cargo bike the Kinn Cascade Flyer has the ability to twist the front wheel 180degrees and holds it with a latch so it can fit on a bus rack. You would have to lengthen the gear and brake cables and unhook any wheel stabilizer spring but a wheel could be held with a bungee or a Shimano locking headset. The issue with the ODK is it has a front hub motor so I’m not sure if the motor cable coming out of the hub can cope with this type of movement or even if this would reduce the wheelbase to 44” to fit.
b19001d5386785b04f7a7b00f39271a7_large1.jpg

Last edited:
Great to read your contributory post John07. One of the things I like about forums is the ability to search valuable info posted in the past. (I see this thread was previously posted on in march 2018. Upper left corner of post.)

I haven't used buses with a bike but load my ebikes in my pickup with a trick that has me lifting half the bike weight or less. Apply front brake with left hand, lift and pivot back of bike up onto front wheel (balancing), push rear wheel sideways onto rack/tailgate, lift front wheel into position.

Back