observations on getting back into riding after 30 years being overweight etc

vincent

just wanted to post some experiences with my electric bike

originally bought the bike just to use occasionally when i needed to pick up one of my cars 3 miles away, really had no intention of buying a bicycle, looked at electric scooters etc but none of them worked well with my weight or on gravel roads

i like gadgets and tech stuff so looked at electric folding bikes
prodeco mariner was one and then i found the cemoto mountain bike

did end up picking up a used mariner that wasnt working, took it to a shop in phoenix and had that repaired pretty cheap, like having 2 bikes in case a friend wants to ride or one has a problem

surprised how much i have enjoyed riding the bikes, researching bike stuff , buying stuff for the bikes lol etc

but one thing is sure , if i had not bought electric there is no way i would be riding for exercise etc like i am now

imo there is no other way for old, fat , out of shape people like me to get back into riding lol
i am 48 years old, 230 lbs and had not been on a bicycle in at least 30 years

even being overweight i work a very physical job and the first time i rode a regular bike out, got exhausted and was super sore for work the next day would have been the last time, period

but with the electric
-i was able to use the throttle a lot to learn to get my balance back
-always feel if riding 10 miles from home i can get back without killing myself
-feel way more comfortable riding around cars because i can use the throttle to move quickly

bottom line is there has been no downside

anyone sitting on the fence do it

actually pretty happy with my lower costs bikes, have had no problems and for the mostly flat street riding, with a little off road i do they have worked fine

but do plan to upgrade to an easy motion, stromer, haibike or something like that in the next several months, being as heavy as i am think i would benefit from a stronger motor and battery , especially if riding with others and needed to climb some steeper hills etc

it took me a while to control the bigger cemoto mountain bike as well as i did the smaller prodeco, and i wonder if higher quality bikes may handle/turn more nimble etc, will be testing more bikes and researching in the next few months

overall i do like the full suspension of the mountain bike over the mariner and think for a lot of people that would make a big difference in comfort

did not do a lot of riding bikes before i bought one, looking at folders there were not as many to choose from , nobody had them in stock in tucson and honestly i did not want to drop a $2500 electric bike from a store test riding it

that will be funny to those of you who ride, but for someone who hasnt looked at a bike much less ridden one in 30 years it was a concern

to me the electric bike people should be really promoting these bikes to older people who want to exercise , there is a huge market there

the only thing that has been a little disappointing is i have not had great experiences working with regular bike shops

and agree with another posts i saw on the forum about how the electric bike shops do not tend to fit the e bikes to people like you get in a regular bike store, would like to see more of that

also wish the regular bike people would get over their attitudes about electric

anyway just been meaning to post some since i bought my bikes and been riding some the past few months

Last edited:
Thanks for posting your experience! It's really awesome to hear stories like yours. Really it keeps me motivated in what I do.

Sometimes we need a little help to get going ;)

Glad you got the help you needed. I know I did.

I too am a bit overweight :) 230lbs. I went the opposite direction. I bought a regular bike first. My thought was to ride the regular bike to get back into some kinda shape before my ebike arrives. I too have not been on a bike in 20+ years.

My reasoning for going this route is, I plan on doing some fairly long distant riding with the ebike. My plan is to get up to 50 miles. But in order to do this, I will need to run on the low assist. So I am slowly riding further and further on the regular bike building up some stamina and strength (and hopefully shedding a few lbs).

With that said, I can't wait for my ebike to arrive! The hills in my area are murder for me being out of shape. Since I ride now at least 5 days a week, I feel by the time it arrives in June/July I will be in better shape to enjoy the ebike like its meant to be ridden.

The ebike is my motivation! Right now ridding a regular bike is not fun for me, its hard work. Hopefully the ebike will bring the fun back! With the added benefit of some needed exercise.

William

I've tried a couple of times to ride unpowered bikes. It went OK, but it wasn't that much fun, the range was limited, and the hills were tough. I was riding on oxygen for a while, and was on oxygen for 6 months. Riding the ebike really helped me get as healthy as I can get. Some people are out of shape and will get back in good shape with some work. I can only push it so far and it's too hard on the knees, hips, hands, whatever.

I've worked on the bars to find the right position. I'm trying a front suspension, which helps up to a point. Going fast just increases the stresses. They need to work on the details to make the ride comfortable. Most of the pedal assist systems are designed for strong riders. They need to make sure they work with weak riders. People who are out of shape may need bigger batteries.

I need the motor to get up the hills, ride into the wind, and have some fun on a long ride. I don't need to go 30 mph. I try to nudge people to make nice bikes for low prices, and good basic kits that anyone can build. The simple stuff is all you need for what I do.

I spent a year with chronic health problems. There's not much joy in chronic illness. There's a horrible stress because you know it can happen again, or it can just be a long slide. People need to commit to some level of health and fitness. It's stupid to point at some super-fit person and say that person is the model. How do we get sick, or out of shape, or whatever? There's a line in a song:

"I didn't ask for this fate, it just came over me"

Ebikes are fantastic. You can dial in some modest amount of exercise, but be out there for an hour, making it count. I decided not to renew my Handicap Parking Permit, in the hope that I can stay healthy enough.

Thanks for the experiences.

I too am a bit overweight :) 230lbs. I went the opposite direction. I bought a regular bike first. My thought was to ride the regular bike to get back into some kinda shape before my ebike arrives. I too have not been on a bike in 20+ years.

My reasoning for going this route is, I plan on doing some fairly long distant riding with the ebike. My plan is to get up to 50 miles. But in order to do this, I will need to run on the low assist. So I am slowly riding further and further on the regular bike building up some stamina and strength (and hopefully shedding a few lbs).

With that said, I can't wait for my ebike to arrive! The hills in my area are murder for me being out of shape. Since I ride now at least 5 days a week, I feel by the time it arrives in June/July I will be in better shape to enjoy the ebike like its meant to be ridden.

The ebike is my motivation! Right now ridding a regular bike is not fun for me, its hard work. Hopefully the ebike will bring the fun back! With the added benefit of some needed exercise.

William
I am glad you see the benefits of riding a ebike, I have come to the same conclusion although I bought an ebike first and think that is better logic except that your first ebike is not going to be everything that you will want, as I found out my evo eco had too small a motor (250w) too small a battery (8ah) and too slow (class 2) I upgraded after a year to a 500 w motor, 14ah battery, class 3 and hyd disc brakes. I am really happy now with this bike but in a year I will probably want something better. Now my commute to work is a fun 11 miles one way 28min to work and 40min home and this bike will climb the 1 mile long 8 degree hill without shutting down like my evo did.

I am glad you see the benefits of riding a ebike, I have come to the same conclusion although I bought an ebike first and think that is better logic except that your first ebike is not going to be everything that you will want, as I found out my evo eco had too small a motor (250w) too small a battery (8ah) and too slow (class 2) I upgraded after a year to a 500 w motor, 14ah battery, class 3 and hyd disc brakes. I am really happy now with this bike but in a year I will probably want something better. Now my commute to work is a fun 11 miles one way 28min to work and 40min home and this bike will climb the 1 mile long 8 degree hill without shutting down like my evo did.

I am a maker, so I do intend on going the DIY route once I decide what I really want. But what I really need at the moment is some exercise :) I ordered the Biktrix Montecapro as my first ebike, it is a class 1, so it meets the exercise criteria. Since I work from home, I will be riding just for fun.

My area is very hilly, so just need that extra help to make it fun. Getting exhausted after 5 min on a regular bike is not fun LOL

William

I've tried a couple of times to ride unpowered bikes. It went OK, but it wasn't that much fun, the range was limited, and the hills were tough. I was riding on oxygen for a while, and was on oxygen for 6 months. Riding the ebike really helped me get as healthy as I can get. Some people are out of shape and will get back in good shape with some work. I can only push it so far and it's too hard on the knees, hips, hands, whatever.

I've worked on the bars to find the right position. I'm trying a front suspension, which helps up to a point. Going fast just increases the stresses. They need to work on the details to make the ride comfortable. Most of the pedal assist systems are designed for strong riders. They need to make sure they work with weak riders. People who are out of shape may need bigger batteries.

I need the motor to get up the hills, ride into the wind, and have some fun on a long ride. I don't need to go 30 mph. I try to nudge people to make nice bikes for low prices, and good basic kits that anyone can build. The simple stuff is all you need for what I do.

I spent a year with chronic health problems. There's not much joy in chronic illness. There's a horrible stress because you know it can happen again, or it can just be a long slide. People need to commit to some level of health and fitness. It's stupid to point at some super-fit person and say that person is the model. How do we get sick, or out of shape, or whatever? There's a line in a song:

"I didn't ask for this fate, it just came over me"

Ebikes are fantastic. You can dial in some modest amount of exercise, but be out there for an hour, making it count. I decided not to renew my Handicap Parking Permit, in the hope that I can stay healthy enough.

Thanks for the experiences.

If I go the DIY route later on, I think I will go super simple with magic pie throttle only 1500w. It would be my play bike, and the pedal assist for exercise. I have no serious medical issues that should keep me from getting into shape. My issue is I sit in front of a computer 60 hours a week. I used to be in great shape when I was in the military, but I have been out for 15 years.

William

i came at all this from a different perspective, which i am sure is rare, most people want to ride and buy bikes for that
wasnt interested in a hobby etc of riding, i am one of those rare people that really love my job and would rather be working than doing much else

my hobby is car stuff,really did not want a bike and definitely the tech aspect of the electrics helped me get interested
just needed the bike to go pick one of my cars up when leaving it at a friends because my dirt road was muddy

but once i got into researching them etc, hoped to use them to get some exercise, and have been, try to ride for an hour or so on any off days and have really enjoyed it

even bought a 1UP bike rack for taking it to work with me some

i do try to ride with no electric on most of the time and in a tougher gear, doing this in the flats is ok but sure i couldnt do that with a lot of hills, partly because the bikes weighs at least 50lbs

the cemoto comes with flat, low handlebars and as all of us who bought one found out they are terrible, i changed those out and also put a cloud 9 seat on both bikes, major lights front and back, very paranoid about cars
ride with a yellow reflective vests and yellow helmet, 2 lights on front and back anytime it is close to dusk
think i am impossible to miss lol, at least i hope so

but with the new handlebars and seat can ride for 2 hours or more and not be sore after which is imperative for my work
i do get a decent workout and keep my heartrate up steady for at least an hour or more each ride

rode in some pretty strong winds yesterday and definitely need bigger motors, batteries etc
my plan is to wait and buy a new model bike in 2017 but who knows, your first bike is just a learner bike which i read on here a lot before purchasing

the cemoto really does most of what i need but am interested in riding some others and seeing if they handle different etc
starting out i would have been scared of a more powerful bike, thought the cemoto was way too fast when i bought it lol

read in another thread about someone saying having throttle and pas is good because there are times you cannot use pas because the control is not as good, i agree with this, at first i did not like pas felt like it kicked in too strong but now am glad to have both
this bike seems big to me and manuevering through small or tight spots is hard with pas on , use the throttle for most of that

william you are going to love your ebike

Your a car guy, ... well I bought my first ebike in January and also am a car guy. I have lost about 35lb now and being in my upper fifties it has been not as smooth as I had hoped. It is just so nice to be able to go out and lunch and go for a ride, I wish I had done this years ago. It would be nice if our local trail system actually connected to each other, but, they are working on it. I used to see the news reports and bid drawings for trails and just not care, now, I am all over it and making sure we bid on them.

My problem is I can stop mod'ing because it is so much cheaper than car mods. That and I love to fiddle and make stuff. I haven't modded my ebike that much, just a few printed items, but, I am going nuts on my Trikke and it is filling that car mod thing for the moment.

we are not supposed to ride the electric bikes on the bike paths here which is ridiculous to me, not sure about the road paths and the rules for those ....

but i have been on the bike paths and not gotten caught yet

i do a good bit of riding in small neighborhoods where there is not a lot of traffic, feel safer there

oh yeah the bikes are WAY cheaper to mod etc than the cars lol

i have not modded the bikes any as far as motors, controls etc
and dont really plan to, but bought usb rechargeable lights, small packs and tools for front and back, cateyes stuff like that

just put some niteize spokelit things on both bikes

i should be crazy bright and visible now

Great post and thread. I got into ebiking due to knee injury. 48 yr old 216 lb guy here. Knee is rehabbed... But im now addicted to e bikes. And yeah...MUCH cheaper to mod than the german autos i used to try and play with.

should clarify norm- car girl here lol

onetorque i am still into the german autos lol

rode 10 miles today in some crazy winds, very surprised how much the wind affects the bike etc

think it has been rally rare i have used the throttle unless just for fun to go fast a little
today even with pas on i seemed to need it some

or at least i wanted to go faster than i was going pedaling and used it

will be exciting to get a more powerful bike with better pas etc
although the cemoto will step up and move pretty good with the throttle twisted all the way

If I go the DIY route later on, I think I will go super simple with magic pie throttle only 1500w. It would be my play bike, and the pedal assist for exercise. I have no serious medical issues that should keep me from getting into shape. My issue is I sit in front of a computer 60 hours a week. I used to be in great shape when I was in the military, but I have been out for 15 years.

William
The Pie is a fun motor. It comes with a cruise control so it will hold a speed when you set it. The smaller Pie, the Smart, is a sweet little motor, but the MP has the punch. I have both.

I'd like to know how well that new Bafang Max works, on the Capro. At the original price, the bike was a steal, but not much info kicking around. I know Bafang really wants to get it right, compete with Bosch and all those guys.

should clarify norm- car girl here lol

onetorque i am still into the german autos lol

rode 10 miles today in some crazy winds, very surprised how much the wind affects the bike etc

think it has been rally rare i have used the throttle unless just for fun to go fast a little
today even with pas on i seemed to need it some

or at least i wanted to go faster than i was going pedaling and used it

will be exciting to get a more powerful bike with better pas etc
although the cemoto will step up and move pretty good with the throttle twisted all the way
OK, my bad assumption from the name "vincent", sorry. I am a big guy so I drive German for the most part

we are not supposed to ride the electric bikes on the bike paths here which is ridiculous to me, not sure about the road paths and the rules for those ....

but i have been on the bike paths and not gotten caught yet

That is unfortunate, but not all states have clearly defined laws - those that do are generally more favorable to E-bikes, or at least draw clear lines. The ones that haven't caught on, the best you can go by are the motorized vehicle laws, which hardly read as appropriate and clearly don't address e-bikes specifically. Here in MN we have specific e-bike laws that are favorable and generally inclusive. An E-bike in MN is considered a bike as long as it meets the general rules of 750w, 20mph max with or without pedaling for assistance. We don't have the additional speed pedelec law as they have adopted in CA. Also, E-bikes are generally allowed anywhere regular bikes are here, unless signage specifically prohibits them. I wouldn't go riding on private or federal bike paths (specifically of the MTB type), but anywhere else, my e-bike is a bike. I go so far as to carry a copy of the law, not that I think I'll ever need it - I continue to ride appropriate to the situation and am courteous, and I think that will get most anyone by without another look.

I think you mentioned Tucson (I grew up there) and supposedly paths are OK in AZ

http://www.evelo.com/arizona-state-electric-bike-laws-registration/

Signs in Utah say "No motors" but ebikes are allowed. Confusing...
Signs are the same in PA and ebikes are legal. It takes time, sometimes a long time to get things done in PA, after all ebikes have only been legal 2 years:confused: I saw a sign on a country road here once that read "Pothole Ahead", probably took just as long to install the sign as it would to patch the holeo_O

george very interesting, thanks for posting that link

will have to do some more research

i was told by a few friends that bike a lot electric is not ok on the bike pat/loop they are building across tucson...
some of them have indicated they know people who have gotten tickets on the loop when riding electric bikes

think it says no motors, no one has looked at my funny or said anything when i pass them on the path so far and honestly was just waiting to see if i ever got a ticket

i ride slow and try not to draw attention to the me or the bike when i am on the path

will do some more research and see what i find

If i ride a path, i slow way doen for walkers pedal rS ... I even go off the path to give free board.... I smile and say have a nice day. Ususlly my rob lowe smile distracts them from anything "E" hah.

Back