Now the CDC is involved : investigating rise in e-scooter injuries

• Thread starter Deleted member 4210
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4210

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/08/the-cdc-is-investigating-rise-in-e-scooter-injuries.html

(So are they going to determine that it's a 'disease' or simply an epidemic of people not thinking about what they are doing ??? - the obvious here is that e-scooters are simply too convenient, too easy to hop on, very prolific, and everyone who tries them thinks they will be very easy and therefore don't anticipate they might get injured. Not sure why a study is needed, unless they are planning to put new laws into place, and need an 'official' justification for the laws.)

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has launched the first-ever study of electric scooter accidents at the request of Austin Public Health and the Austin Transportation Department."

"We want to identify the risk factors for those who get injured, how severe the injuries are and why they're getting hurt," said Jeff Taylor, manager of the Epidemiology and Disease Surveillance Unit with Austin Public Health.

"There's a perception that scooter-related injuries occur at night. Well that's not true," Taylor said. "Our study will show they occur during all times of the day. People may also perceive there's typically a car involved. But our study finds most of the time the rider may hit a bump in the road or they simply lose their balance."

The data reveals that 98 percent of patients were not wearing a helmet.

Forty-eight percent had a blood alcohol level above the legal limit for intoxication and 52 percent tested for an illicit substance.

"My front wheel got stuck in a really deep pot hole and couldn't make it out," Tick said. "The entire scooter and myself fell forward and smacked the concrete. When I woke up I tasted blood, my lip was split open and literally hanging above my teeth. I was bleeding really, really badly."

Tick was treated at UT with stitches and posted photos from her accident on Instagram.

"I shared my scars with the world and I was mesmerized by the amount of people who said they too had been involved in a scooter crash."

Tick said she was riding without a helmet in a Jump scooter, which is owned by Uber.

"My expectation is that the numbers they come up with are going to be pretty significantly underestimating the real problem," Ziebell said. "The real scope of the problem is going to be an order of magnitude bigger than what the CDC comes up with."

So are they going to determine that it's a 'disease' or simply an epidemic of people not thinking about what they are doing ?

I think auto/scooter/bike accidents of all types, gun violence, and all sorts of things are considered public health issues; even though they aren't disease-related, they cause injuries, hospitalizations, deaths ....

Back