Not To Service?

jb144

Following the old adage " if it ain't bust don't fix it". How long could a mid drive motor be left without any service of any type? 36V 15ah battery, with no problems so far after 2,500 miles.

Thanks for any info

Hi Stefan
Thank you for your reply! Do you mean the complete motor should be replaced? Only on T-Tube they show how to regrease and replace bearings etc. If paying £350 for a motor it seems a little extravagant to just ditch it after 2K miles.

Regards JB

I mean, who told you the motor is to be replaced after 2K? Our user @RabH has just ridden for 10000 miles on his Giant e-bike, our user @David Berry berry rode for more than 17000 km and their motors are still sound! Of course it depends on what motor.

Following the old adage " if it ain't bust don't fix it". How long could a mid drive motor be left without any service of any type? 36V 15ah battery, with no problems so far after 2,500 miles.

Thanks for any info
What make of motor are you asking about
FYI I have done over 32,000km’s on my Shimano E8000 in 2 years, with no servicing and still using the original battery

I would wait to service until something gave me cause for concern - like a new noise for instance.

Here’s my question: the mechanic set the maintenance reminder on my Trek Verve+3, at 300 miles. Then he told me no reason to bring in the bike if there’s nothing wrong with it. When do you recommend bringing in the bike in for routine/preventative maintenance?

I'm sure there are a lot of variables, but if everything seems OK, I would say once a year should be plenty.

We bring our Vados in for annual firmware updates and an overall checkup. I do drivetrain and wheel maintenance every month or so.

Back