Noob doing research, looking for ebike for a 33 mile commute

Brambor, so basically your saying that the stated min and maximum mileage estimates are greatly exaggerated. Good to know, but very disappointing to hear.

Thanks Jazz. Good suggestions. Pluses and minuses of riding with an extra battery?

claucXC, where are the hills you are referring to? I have not yet biked this route - only looked at it via street view on Google maps, but it doesn't appear there are many hills at all. But thanks for sharing your trip info. The Izip Peak states min and max of 25 and 35. The Easy Motion Evo states min and max of 35 and 60, so wondering if that would give a lot more distance, or if it is just greatly exaggerated, as Brambor says.

27 miles is a lot to ride twice a day on any bike... I rode 25 miles to watch Miami Tennis Open, watched tennis for 6 hours, then rode 25 miles home.. Nice ride, and I can handle it, but I would not have done it again the next day.. Too much to deal with, mental fatigue!

If this is your reason for buying an eBike you should think again.

Thanks George! Great advice. That is definitely next on my list. Bike Attack is right here where I work, so that seems to be a big advantage, and I can rent from them and ride this path along the beach at least, and see how it does.

Thanks everyone for your feedback

Powered, I am envisioning maybe biking twice a week (Monday and Friday perhaps). I figure if it's at least doable, that I'm much better off getting a workout and some leisure, versus an hour and a half commute of bumper to bumper. But yeah, maybe it's too far. I guess that all depends on just how much life I can get from the battery.

Brambor, so basically your saying that the stated min and maximum mileage estimates are greatly exaggerated. Good to know, but very disappointing to hear.

Thanks Jazz. Good suggestions. Pluses and minuses of riding with an extra battery?

claucXC, where are the hills you are referring to? I have not yet biked this route - only looked at it via street view on Google maps, but it doesn't appear there are many hills at all. But thanks for sharing your trip info. The Izip Peak states min and max of 25 and 35. The Easy Motion Evo states min and max of 35 and 60, so wondering if that would give a lot more distance, or if it is just greatly exaggerated, as Brambor says.

My fitness tracker app shows a little over 400' elevation gain. Not a lot but there are numerous smaller hills getting to that number and getting back down. This is PV Drive North BTW.

Hi Op7,

33 miles ? That's a haul. I use to commute electric for 22-25 miles one way, charge and return.

Several points already made: expect to get in shape. If you average 20mph, that is 1.5 hrs, or 3hrs r trip . To go faster means more power, need more whr, more costs.

Battery:
15-25ahrs.
Or two 10-15ahr packs

I don't think you wil get it done for 3k. If you go with a lower powered bike (350 w), you will need about 14whr/mi x 33mi = 462 whr + 20% for cold/wear/ life.

If you get a 500-700w motor, your average will go up to 22-24mph and expect 20whr/mi x 33= 660 whr + 20%.

Imo, a geared hub will wear out if you do serious commuting miles, so go dd hub or mid drive.

Good hunting
Bike on

Last edited:
Back