Newest Specialized App (black icon) Drains Apple IPhone Battery

JimVG

Region
USA
City
Gig Harbor
Has anyone else had this problem with the newest version of the Specialized app (black icon - not the former Mission Control)

I have brought this up to Specialized Rider Care with no resolve.

I run this app on a newer Apple IPhone. This app has a constant map view with no method of removing it from view, and/or deactivating it. It is always on, and always active.

This map requires an inordinate amount of cell phone battery power. When starting a ride with a cell phone battery at 100%, I can only ride about 2.5 hours before the cell phone shuts down due to a low battery level. In addition to this problem, the map takes up over half of the available screen real estate on the phone.

It is essential to have an option to remove the map from view, and disable it completly to eliminate battery drain.

The previous Mission Control app has that option. Specialized removed that option with this version (v1.15.0 build 1058)

I frequently ride 40-60 miles, and on those rides the phone dies from the drained battery at about 35 miles. I still have data, as the on-board Creo display remains functional.

Please comment if you have experienced this.

What is the purpose of the app if map is off? Dasboard with speed/distance/cadence/power? Do you really need app always running and connected to ride? Asking as Bosch-powered ebike user with no idea how Specialized approaches its phone connected functions.

I cannot understand why one should use an app if Wahoo/Garmin/Karoo2 all connect to Specialized e-bikes, have a great battery life, offer a dashboard, GPS navigation and ride recording, are rainproof, lightweight, crashproof and take a very small footprint on the bars or the stem.

Yes, phone apps are power hungry, especially if they run GPS, Bluetooth and the screen at the same time. Specialized App can be even more hungry, especially on iPhone. So what?

I have not seen a sane road or gravel traditional cyclist using a smartphone on their bars. Especially if any of the three major GPS bike computers is Specialized Turbo compatible, I see no reason to use a smartphone on a Specialized. What is the purpose of the Specialized App or Mission Conteol for me? Tune and diagnose the e-bike. Nothing else.

Of course, anyone can carry a powerbank... (Specialized App is still an underbaked product).

Last edited:
What is the purpose of the app if map is off? Dasboard with speed/distance/cadence/power? Do you really need app always running and connected to ride? Asking as Bosch-powered ebike user with no idea how Specialized approaches its phone connected functions.

You definitely don't need the app connected , in fact it's been so long since my bike was connected that my phone has mission control build 180 - rather than the current 1058 !

I think I set the power % , recorded half a ride, then turned mission control off a few years ago...

The only reason to have the app connected is using Smart Control (automatically controlling the assistance to achieve a desired ride goal still on the battery) but Smart Control works very well with the screen off and hidden in the jacket pocket. I'd say 6 hours with a normal smartphone. The ride will be recorded.

“I have not seen a sane road or gravel traditional cyclist”…….

I ride with a cell phone because I typically ride long rides solo, and feel a bit more comfortable knowing that I can contact someone if need be. All I need to see is data and have little need for a map, as I have lived in the same area all of my 67 years. I am sure most riders carry a cell phone and use a Garmin/Wahoo head unit. I simply did not want to carry two devices.

I ride a road eBike because I suffered a serious injury about 18 months ago, and initially used the motor when I needed to get my form back. 6,000+ miles later I am still on it. 95% of every ride is with zero assist. The bike outfitted for winter weather here in the northwest weighs about 31 pounds, dropping a few pounds for summer. I have been an avid road cyclist most of my adult life, and riding with this much weight has put me in excellent condition.

I suppose that this qualifies me for an “insane road cyclist”.

What head units are you using, and why?

My question is why you need to ride your Creo with the application on an open screen?

Besides, I use a Wahoo ELEMNT Roam that connects to both Specialized Vado and Vado SL. Wahoo can even recognise the SL Range Extender. I'm riding without the map today.

20240313_155842.jpg

Everything I need to see for an SL ebike
😊
The unit will run for 17 hours on a single charge.

As you can see, I'm using Smart Control today. My phone resides in my pocket with the screen off.

By the way, Jim, I didn't mean to offend you. I wrote:
I have not seen a sane road or gravel traditional cyclist using a smartphone on their bars.
We have at least two respected Specialized e-bike riders here who have or had opted for a smartphone as their head unit.

Yet you haven't been happy with the underbaked Specialized app on your iPhone so I offered a practical solution to you.

Back