Newbie with Questions

QueenJules

Hi everyone! I’m new to EBikes but want to start riding. As a kid, I loved my bike. I had a physical ed class in High School where students chose an activity for the class. I mapped out a bike route to and from our city’s Japanese Tea garden.

I want to commute and ride for fun.

I’ve ridden two entry level EBikes. Been watching video reviews like crazy. Was leaning toward Blix Avegny but want to try a Bosch bike.

Then I found a used Stromer st1 limited for sale. Will be checking that out this weekend. Any pros or cons for choices?

The two thing I really liked having with my 2016 Radrovers when new and now with our 2018 Radcity is the warranty and customer support. I had a few warranty issues with my Rover that was taken care of for free (and some labor on my part) that would have cost me $600-$800. If you are brand new to ebikes and not as handy as you want to be, I would lean towards something with a warranty and/or local bike shop support.

Not sure if you are factoring in total cost of ownership with routine maintenance, emergency repairs, bike tools, bike accessories, bike rack/bag/panniers, vehicle transportation, safety gear like helmet/gloves/eyewear, locks, or year round commuter clothing. I ended up spending some money on those items once I started work commuting to make it more comfortable and safe year round. I didn't need much for fun rides. Don't want to spend your max budget just on the ebike and then have to add items later.

I would also lean towards an ebike that works best for you and supports your environment and riding style. I would test mid-drive, hub drive, with or without a throttle to see what fits you the best. The wife and I rented ebikes in Newport Beach (Radcity Step-Thru) and Santa Barbara (BH Easy Motion Evo City Wave) for fun and extended test rides. The Easy Motion sounded better on paper in every check box; but, She loved how the $1500 Radcity felt compared to the $3000 Easy Motion.

Last edited:
The two thing I really liked having with my 2016 Radrovers when new and now with our 2018 Radcity is the warranty and customer support. I had a few warranty issues with my Rover that was taken care of for free (and some labor on my part) that would have cost me $600-$800. If you are brand new to ebikes and not as handy as you want to be, I would lean towards something with a warranty and/or local bike shop support.

Not sure if you are factoring in total cost of ownership with routine maintenance, emergency repairs, bike tools, bike accessories, bike rack/bag/panniers, vehicle transportation, safety gear like helmet/gloves/eyewear, locks, or year round commuter clothing. I ended up spending some money on those items once I started work commuting to make it more comfortable and safe year round. I didn't need much for fun rides. Don't want to spend your max budget just on the ebike and then have to add items later.

I would also lean towards an ebike that works best for you and supports your environment and riding style. I would test mid-drive, hub drive, with or without a throttle to see what fits you the best. The wife and I rented ebikes in Newport Beach (Radcity Step-Thru) and Santa Barbara (BH Easy Motion Evo City Wave) or fun and extended test rides. The Easy Motion sounded better on paper in every check box; but, She loved how the $1500 Radcity felt compared to the $3000 Easy Motion.
That’s very helpful. Thanks for the reply.

Then I found a used Stromer st1 limited for sale. Will be checking that out this weekend. Any pros or cons for choices?
Batteries have a limited life and if not managed very carefully, fail early. This makes the used e-bike market much less of a bargain than on other commodities. The whole industry has moved from 24 v to 36 v to 48 v in recent years, so there may be little or no support for a motor of 24 or 36 v design.
Read some of the battery charging threads for details.
There is also a lot of junk out there for sale on amazon, ebay, alibaba. Finding a reputable local dealer is key to bypassing these warrenty problems. If you are a normal size, riding a shop demonstrator may be a good start.
Some people have reported stromer is helpful, but hard to contact. Some also report their parts supply is not huge inside the country

I obsessively read reviews and educated myself on the batteries and motors, decided which of those I wanted and went from there. There was really only one out of three shops I went to where the employees showed any evidence of knowing the product. The shop with the Stromer had it perched very stylishly on an Instagram worthy quaint display but no one seemed to know what to do for me to take a test ride. I went with the bike at the shop with the largest selection, best service, and cutest bike that fit my specs.

Hub drive bikes are great for commuting and need less maintenance. I suggest some test rides! Before I rode bikes I was convinced that I should get a tourque-sensing mid-drive bike, because they are discussed as being superior online. They aren't superior, just different--different strokes for different folks. Also, take care because some ebikes just come in one size--a friend ordered a Stromer online and couldn't ride it safely even though she is very physically fit--it was just way too big for her.

You might also consider what can be locally supported--things do break down and it is such a drag when it happens. It's a relief to know that there is local support for warranty and other repairs (and some local shops may provide a loaner bike if repairs take some time--it's something worth asking about!)

Happy shopping!

Last edited:
Batteries have a limited life and if not managed very carefully, fail early. This makes the used e-bike market much less of a bargain than on other commodities. The whole industry has moved from 24 v to 36 v to 48 v in recent years, so there may be little or no support for a motor of 24 or 36 v design.
Read some of the battery charging threads for details.
There is also a lot of junk out there for sale on amazon, ebay, alibaba. Finding a reputable local dealer is key to bypassing these warrenty problems. If you are a normal size, riding a shop demonstrator may be a good start.
Some people have reported stromer is helpful, but hard to contact. Some also report their parts supply is not huge inside the country
This is a local person. I think she rode it a lot. Daily and loaded with child and books. After reading some more on batteries, I’m leaning to a new bike. I quested whether a Stromer is just too much bike for me anyway.

How close are ebike rental places? There isn't much differences between mid-drives group of ebikes and the rear hub group of ebikes if you want to feel the differences between the two on an extended test run to feel how they use e-power. You just have to narrow down what style you like once you narrow down e-motor choice.

Hub drive bikes are great for commuting and need less maintenance. I suggest some test rides! Before I rode bikes I was convinced that I should get a tourque-sensing mid-drive bike, because they are discussed as being superior online. They aren't superior, just different--different strokes for different folks. Also, take care because some ebikes just come in one size--a friend ordered a Stromer online and couldn't ride it safely even though she is very physically fit--it was just way too big for her.

You might also consider what can be locally supported--things do break down and it is such a drag when it happens. It's a relief to know that there is local support for warranty and other repairs (and some local shops may provide a loaner bike if repairs take some time--it's something worth asking about!)

Happy shopping!
Gonna test a few today. I’ve decided I definitely want a mid hub.
How close are ebike rental places? There isn't much differences between mid-drives group of ebikes and the rear hub group of ebikes if you want to feel the differences between the two on an extended test run to feel how they use e-power. You just have to narrow down what style you like once you narrow down e-motor choice.
Most shops will rent for free if you’re considering purchasing. Rented a Gazelle Arroyo today. Super nice. Deep discount bc some other shop got exclusive contract. Loved the features and simple shift and n the handle.

Back