Newbie from Buckinghamshire UK

Clive58

Hello everyone I’m Clive and live in Chalfont St Giles UK. I’ve owned a 2016 model Cube Hybrid pro step through until recently when I sold it.

I’ve just ordered a Specialized 2020 Turbo Vado 3.0 and hope to collect it shortly.

I suffer with ill health issues and need to get out more on it than I did the Cube.

I would welcome advice on what box / panniers to fit to its rack and I’m also interested in a wind proof waterproof top that keeps me warm!

Last edited:
Welcome! I have a 3.0 as well. Great bike! In the Colonies, here, it uses a Rack Time Rack so theirs should not only fit but be lockable to the rack. Have been researching but have not yet bought and using my existing panniers which fit adequately if not perfectly.

Hi Clive, I don’t have a Specialized, but for panniers I suggest the Dutch Clarijs brand that slingover a rack and are made of lorry tarpaulin and are big enough to hold two reusable shopping bags. Or for a rack top bag I use an Arkel Tailrider that attaches with a Velcro strap at each corner, has a handle and d-rings for a strap, pull out shower cap, and expanding bellows top so it holds as much as a small backpack. Have fun!

Last edited:
Hello everyone I’m Clive and live in Chalfont St Giles UK. I’ve owned a 2016 model Cube Hybrid pro step through until recently when I sold it.

I’ve just ordered a Specialized 2020 Turbo Vado 3.0 and hope to collect it shortly.

I suffer with ill health issues and need to get out more on it than I did the Cube.

I Would welcome advice on whet box / panniers to fit to its rack and I’m also interested in a wind proof waterproof top that keeps me warm!
Welcome Clive, hope the bike keeps a big grin for you.

I Would welcome advice on whet box / panniers to fit to its rack and I’m also interested in a wind proof waterproof top that keeps me warm!

Hi Clive, I do have a Specialized Vado 5.0. I greatly recommend the Ortlieb E-mate pannier. So easy to mount (click!) and dismount (pull a handle), and it can store your battery if you have got a spare or in case you want to remove the battery from the bike and take it with you. It is waterproof and can be carried as a bag.

Decathlon sell a shower resistant jacket, buy in store or click & collect at ASDA.

@Dewey is right. Regarding clothing, I will tell you one thing: there are many base-layer, intermediate layer and outer layer clothes. Nothing beats, however, a very thin and foldable B'TWIN Rainjacket Ultralight 900, available at Decathlon. I'm riding at temperature ranges 2-10 C now. It might be a relatively warm day but strong winds cut through anything except that windbreaker. So I pack it folded in the back pocket of one of my riding jackets and I can tell you when I pull it on after the sunset, I'm saved 😊

Last edited:
It is very very easy Clive. You just pull the handle while pushing the top "joints" onto the carrier. When you release the hold, the connectors will click and the top is secured. Next, there is a smart bottom connector. You just turn a knob to release a hook, move the hook so it embraces one of the carrier stays and secure with the knob.

Next time, you just pull the handle to remove the bag from the carrier. I can make a photo if you wish.

I have to add I first bought a Racktime box and it was a stupid decision. It does not work very well.

A real hit among EBR users... Because of the reinforced compartment for the battery (Vado battery fits very well), hard top closure, water-proof construction, easy mounting and dismounting and even a carrying strap. It fits all carriers including Racktime.

1579134374760.png

The bottom hook is easily adjustable with a knob, while top joints can be adjusted with the latches if necessary.

1579134468384.png

I could have turned the hook even more if I wanted.That was a quick photo down in my garage.

1579134539919.png

The top joints are unfastened by the handle pull, and fastened with a click.

1579134620598.png

This elegant pannier comes with a reflective element and a carrying strap. Worth every penny. Ask @David Berry, our well-known member.

A real hit among EBR users... Because of the reinforced compartment for the battery (Vado battery fits very well), hard top closure, water-proof construction, easy mounting and dismounting and even a carrying strap. It fits all carriers including Racktime.

View attachment 44097
The bottom hook is easily adjustable with a knob, while top joints can be adjusted with the latches if necessary.

View attachment 44098
I could have turned the hook even more if I wanted.That was a quick photo down in my garage.

View attachment 44099
The top joints are unfastened by the handle pull, and fastened with a click.

View attachment 44100
This elegant pannier comes with a reflective element and a carrying strap. Worth every penny. Ask @David Berry, our well-known member.
Thanks really helpful!
Is that the Ortlieb E pannier mentioned above? Looks great! Do you buy 1 or 2?

Exactly, Ortlieb E-mate is the exact name. The price is for one piece. A typical user does with one bag although you may buy two of them and have both.

It is very very easy Clive. You just pull the handle while pushing the top "joints" onto the carrier. When you release the hold, the connectors will click and the top is secured. Next, there is a smart bottom connector. You just turn a knob to release a hook, move the hook so it embraces one of the carrier stays and secure with the knob.

Next time, you just pull the handle to remove the bag from the carrier. I can make a photo if you wish.

I have to add I first bought a Racktime box and it was a stupid decision. It does not work very well.

Am curious what your issues were with the racktime panniers? I have not used them so have no dog in the fight. My interest is that the bags can be locked to the rack.

Am curious what your issues were with the racktime panniers?
I bought the Racktime Tour box. First, I had a problem how to mount the box on the Racktime carrier but let us attribute that to the fact I am a little dumb. The worst came soon. The Tour box is made of flexible plastic and the cover bends to the extent it is very hard to close it. What's worse, it is very hard to lock the box so the lock would keep. Finally, the 13.3 litre box turned out to be so small that it might be good for a hipster to transport his monthly load of Nespresso capsules but not for typical stuff a cyclist uses to carry. Put two water bottles there and there is very little room for anything else.

I will never buy Racktime products again.

Last edited:
I know it isn't what the OP suggested but the trunk bag from Arkel is very well made. They are so confident in their product they challenge you to tear it. They send you a piece of cloth, cut about an inch long on a 4 inch square piece of the same material as the trunk bag. My 55 year old hands couldn't, maybe someone with single guy grip could.

I think the specs of 3.0 and 5.0 are pretty similar the difference being the battery size? Either way do you like the Specialized?
First of all: I'm in love with my Vado 5.0. Secondly: These two models are very different. Vado 5 is a speed pedelec (Class 3, L1e-B) with motor support up to 45 km/h. Components are of somewhat higher class, too, not to say that Vado 3.0 is inferior. However, speed pedelecs need to be probably registered and insured in the UK, and what is worse, you shall wear a motorcycle helmet in the UK. In my country (Poland), a regular bike helmet is sufficient.

No the 5.0 is restricted to 15mph! Only a cycle helmet as not classified as a motorbike!
  • In compliance with EU and UK law, this e-bike is a pedal bike with up to 250W power assist, which cuts out once you reach 25KPH (15.5 MPH)

Back