New XP Lite...

As the very happy owner of two XP 2.0 st bikes (bought just before Christmas 2021) I am thoroughly confused by the philosophy behind the introduction of this bike. Why?

--Non-kiddos who ride this bike will want fenders to avoid puddle soaking
--non-standard battery
--people will want a rack
--no gears, so no hills and no faster cruising possible
--no suspension a giant step backwards.

On the flip side we have a somewhat-lighter ebike, and I frankly don't care about the tire size either way. How critical is weight with eBikes? Not very, in my opinion.

I personally see this as an ebike with very limited appeal. But I have to believe that the Lectric folks did their homework and sensed a need to fill a particular market segment. If they are correct, kudos to them, as their vision is sharper than mine. If not, the bike should and will go away. Give the customer what he wants.
We just ordered the XP Lite and I'd like to give you our perspective based on your points

Fenders - my first reaction was to agree with you. But we only ride in good weather. Do we really need fenders? Time will tell and I may have to order them in the future

Non-standard battery. We don't have an ebike so this is a non-issue for now

Racks - I agree with you 100%. We ordered the rack with the bike. But I understand that having a rack as standard will add to the base price

No gears. Both my wife and I grew up with single gear bikes. When we bought a 7-speed for her, she asked me to set it to #5 and she hasn't changed it in the past 10+ years. Going up hills, she'll use the throttle on the Lite. She walks the old bike!

No suspension. Again, we luddites have never had a bike with suspension so we don't know what we're missing

On the other hand the weight saving of almost 20lbs over the XP 2.0 is huge for us. And it folds to fit in the back of her car compared to other ebikes of a similar weight

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just want to give our perspective

Hello everyone, haven’t posted in a while. (Just came out of winter hibernation ;)). Balsa 61, I think you made a wise choice and you’ll be very pleased with the XP Lite. If you look at some of my posts, I’ve been on the hunt for that “elusive electric folding bike with all the specs and boxes checked”. After discussing the subject with many on this forum and searching for one, I found one made by Cube (a German company), called the Cube Fold 500 with a Gates carbon belt. The problem is I couldn’t buy one because Cube has a very limited presence of dealers here in the U.S. Fly Rides USA in San Diego could have possibly gotten me the chain/cassette version which I didn’t want and it would have taken months to get it anyway.

So here comes the XP lite and I said to my wife “hell with that elusive electric folder, it’ll show up when I’m not looking for it”:D). We ordered the XP Lite In Artic White, received it, and took it for a spin. I must say it doesn’t have the refinements that the Cube would have had, but like tbhausen’s great review, I was totally surprised. In fact, I liked it so much, I just placed an order for the sandstorm.

When we took it for a test ride, my wife and I alternated between our Brompton non-electric and this one. The XP Lite is agile and just plain fun to ride. I must say I was concerned about the single speed also, but tbhausen is right, Lectric achieved a good compromise. With the 2.6” tires who needs a suspension front fork. I was looking at a suspension seat post, but I think I’ll ride it a while before I decide on that as well. I will now be able to go on gravel trails which I could not do on the Brompton. I felt like I was riding a Cadillac after getting off my Brompton.

Now this bike has plenty of torque, I pedaled up a pretty steep hill in pedal assist and had no problems getting up the hill. The test would be, could my wife do the same? I had her start from the lowest point on the hill and she had no problem either. That clinched it, that’s when I ordered the second one. Don’t let the 350w motor fool you, this bike has adequate power and torque. I actually like the single speed, minimalist design. Best of all, I can fit one on the back seat of my Toyoya Yaris and one in the trunk. What’s not to like?

Yeah, spot on. The bike is just a series of good, sensible decisions. I still feel as though the only thing I might change on mine is the tires and possibly a better headlight (though I will probably just wear a headlight on my helmet when really needed).

Yeah, spot on. The bike is just a series of good, sensible decisions. I still feel as though the only thing I might change on mine is the tires and possibly a better headlight (though I will probably just wear a headlight on my helmet when really needed).
Hi tbhausen,
Like you, I thought about changing the tires to the Schwalbe Super MotoX before i even got the bike, but since the tires have the slime I guess I’ll just make do for now. The knobby tires actually ride pretty good. I knew they were slimed when I put air in the tires and one of the tires had slime coming out of the valve. I hate that stuff too and had taken it off my cart when I ordered the bike, but it looks like they all get slimed whether you want it or not. I don’t do a lot of night driving, so I’ll keep the stock light for the time being.

It's thanks to posters like @myers830, @tbhausen and @Slorider that helped us decide to order the XP Lite. @Maineiac, I haven't read your posts as yet but plan on doing so now. I would have been suspicious of glowing testimonials - I get it that every bike has pros and cons. They helped us go in with an eye to the flaws. So thank you.

The XP Lite checked all our boxes - under $1,000, lighter than average and foldable. We ordered the blue one and hope it'll arrive by the end of May. I was thinking about the XP Step Thru for myself, but who knows, I may just order another Lite 😜

This is going to be our "entry drug" to the ebike world. If we really use it, we can always upgrade in a couple of years ... if we feel the need.

It's thanks to posters like @myers830, @tbhausen and @Slorider that helped us decide to order the XP Lite. @Maineiac, I haven't read your posts as yet but plan on doing so now. I would have been suspicious of glowing testimonials - I get it that every bike has pros and cons. They helped us go in with an eye to the flaws. So thank you.

The XP Lite checked all our boxes - under $1,000, lighter than average and foldable. We ordered the blue one and hope it'll arrive by the end of May. I was thinking about the XP Step Thru for myself, but who knows, I may just order another Lite 😜

This is going to be our "entry drug" to the ebike world. If we really use it, we can always upgrade in a couple of years ... if we feel the need.
Balsa61, glad I could provide some help. The ElectricBikeReview forum is made up of a great bunch of people who are always ready to help and who have a great amount of knowledge and experience in the ebike world. That’s why I’ve been proud to be associated with the forum.

Now getting back to the XP Lite, it’s a great “bang for the buck” ebike. Is it a perfect bike? No. Is it a good bike? Yes. Is it a good first ebike for the price you pay? Definitely. Is it my dream bike? No. Will I have fun with it? You bet! Especially after I saw my wife easing up the hill and I had to get off my Brompton and walk it part way. 😜

There was a little front wheel brake pad rub when I got the bike, but nothing major that couldn’t be adjusted. It now works fine. Other than that, I must say overall quality is good and built pretty decent for the price you pay. I really think you’ll enjoy your “entry drug” to the ebike world.

My brother owns an XP Step Thru and if you’re concerned about weight, I’d say stick with the Lite. The XP Step Thru is a beast compared to the Lite. That extra 20lbs plus makes a huge difference and it doesn’t fold as compactly. There’s no way I’d be able to fit one of those in my Yaris.

Anyway, when you get the bike share your experience and I really do hope you like it.

I have one in blue and I get a lot of compliments from pedestrians that must never have been to an RV park since these are everywhere. I totally agree with tbhausen about the great decision-making that went into this. I have ordered a second battery, basket, and suspense seat post given how reasonable the price on accessories (battery is like $250 hell I paid $900 for my bosh battery 7 years ago) is and how satisfied (amazed actually) I am with the value. Even did a 20-mile ride with hills and had 50% battery left. Never exceeded PAS 3 since I didn't want to chance running out of juice. It was fun. I could have gone faster but it was my first 20-mile ride and it has a smallish batter but I guess not that small. I like having a rack and putting a second battery in it to cure any range anxiety. I should have 80 miles of range with two bats but have the option to keep the weight down and not bring one. I hate heavy bikes.

Here is what I will say, you can use this bike in 3 ways. As a throttle-only scooter. As a pedal-assist 10-13 mph bike. As a hill climber where you pedal up to speed and then let the bike take it from there (PAS 4-5) as you start up the hill helping the bike get up to speed on a hill saves tons of battery. If you want to pedal and go 20mph get another bike. For me the gearing cadence is perfect for 8-13 mph but after that, it is too spinny for me long term. Also, starting from zero on a hill requires starting with the throttle, given the high-speed gearing and weight. Luckily this bike does great on hills. All the hills in Bethesda MD are no problem and I rode to Georgetown DC which has some doozies and to my surprise no problem. The other models must be monsters. The power feels good, I thought it was going to be compromised given the price. It is easy to love this bike and ride it daily when it is not raining. I have to lift off the seat on very bumpy roads since there is no suspension but it is second nature now. It is very nimble and fun to toss around compared to my full-size full suspension bikes. I'm having as much fun as I did on bikes that cost 6x as much. Cannot wait to take this camping and not have to move my dam van every time I need something from the store or to explore. These are going to be everywhere, it is too good a deal.

Similar feelings here, though we have the XP 2.0 st models, about 6 months old. I've found PAS to be awkward so I just use the throttle assist. We find that the hub motor struggles uphill from a standstill, but at about ~4mph it's surprisingly strong. Like you said, great fun, and I don't mind at all making quick supermarket runs about a mile each way and up a fairly steep hill. We have folding baskets on the rear rack good for 1 1/2 shopping bags of stuff. Amazed they were around $1K.

Here we go again...Lectric just updated shipping dates to 5-6 weeks if you order today (which if history shows is more like 8 weeks). Same old story, different year.
Had no idea the shipping was like this. Went with a pre-order on the XP premium as it said "Ships in June" - got an e-mail a week later stating it'd be the beginning of July before it ships. Ordered an XP Lite for the wife and expected it to ship in a few business days like most things ordered in the US... Haven't heard a thing since the order confirmation a week ago. Not trying to sound impatient but it'd be nice if Lectric provided expectations up-front.

Had no idea the shipping was like this. Went with a pre-order on the XP premium as it said "Ships in June" - got an e-mail a week later stating it'd be the beginning of July before it ships. Ordered an XP Lite for the wife and expected it to ship in a few business days like most things ordered in the US... Haven't heard a thing since the order confirmation a week ago. Not trying to sound impatient but it'd be nice if Lectric provided expectations up-front.
My accessories for the lite had a date 30+ days into the future and then shipped in 1 week. My tan order was 4 weeks out so I shifted to blue and it shipped in two weeks.

We ordered the XP Lite in blue on May 16th and were told 2 weeks. True to their word, it was picked up on May 31st - two weeks not counting Memorial Day. However, for the past two days, it's only moved to the FedEx depot in Phoenix and no further. FedEx claims it'll be delivered on Saturday. Today is Thursday and we live in Minnesota. I'm not holding my breath that FedEx will keep to the Saturday delivery

Welcome Balsa - Good to see another fellow Minnesotan on here.

Lectric e-mailed me yesterday with tracking. Looks like Fedex is set to deliver Monday here.

We ordered the XP Lite in blue on May 16th and were told 2 weeks. True to their word, it was picked up on May 31st - two weeks not counting Memorial Day. However, for the past two days, it's only moved to the FedEx depot in Phoenix and no further. FedEx claims it'll be delivered on Saturday. Today is Thursday and we live in Minnesota. I'm not holding my breath that FedEx will keep to the Saturday delivery
Mine was actually delivered by FedEx on a Sunday.

According to FedEx, our package is still in Phoenix. But delivery is still going to be today!!! Today's delivery was "confirmed" by the automated phone line.

I finally got hold of a CSR who said that delivery will now be on Monday. I lost my faith in FedEx a long time ago. This just confirms my low opinion of them.

@BeenLectric looks like our bikes are going to be on the same truck. We live near St Cloud. Where are you?

Talk about getting your hopes up :) Have a cool local Fedex driver on first name basis here but you're absolutely right; Fedex has gone down hill. I work with both carriers on a daily basis and we've since moved all critical shipments to UPS as Fedex is too unpredictable.

I'm down in Shakopee. Looks like typical Fedex package getting tossed around and around. ETA is Today by end of day.... I'm sure if it doesn't get lost I could have it by Wednesday.

Tuesday, June 7, 2022
9:02 AMWILLMAR, MNIn transit
3:28 AMWILLMAR, MNAt local FedEx facility
12:58 AMROGERS, MNDeparted FedEx location
Monday, June 6, 2022
1:40 PMROGERS, MNShipment arriving On-Time
1:25 PMROGERS, MNArrived at FedEx location
10:22 AMMAPLE GROVE, MNIn transit
Sunday, June 5, 2022
2:32 PMMAPLE GROVE, MNIn transit
2:31 AMMAPLE GROVE, MNIn transit
Saturday, June 4, 2022
1:27 PMMAPLE GROVE, MNIn transit
1:25 AMLENEXA, KSIn transit

FRIDAY, JUNE 3 1:23 AM | PHOENIX, AZ
Departed FedEx location

Last edited:
Has anybody considered or had any success replacing the chainring with a bigger one?

The thing that I find by far most annoying about this bike is the gearing at speeds above ~12-13 mph. It's basically impossible to pedal at higher speeds and it is throttle-only (which I find less pleasant and stable to ride). If it weren't for this issue it would be like the perfect bike for our needs; with this issue we're strongly considering selling it.

Unfortunately it seems it's not easy to install a smaller freewheel because of the threading of the hub, but I was curious if anybody has attempted a larger chainring

Has anybody considered or had any success replacing the chainring with a bigger one?

The thing that I find by far most annoying about this bike is the gearing at speeds above ~12-13 mph. It's basically impossible to pedal at higher speeds and it is throttle-only (which I find less pleasant and stable to ride). If it weren't for this issue it would be like the perfect bike for our needs; with this issue we're strongly considering selling it.

Unfortunately it seems it's not easy to install a smaller freewheel because of the threading of the hub, but I was curious if anybody has attempted a larger chainring
On mine I don’t find pedaling does much of anything other than just activate the motor. It stays on full power so with the assist on the output I’m giving isn’t anything.

On mine I don’t find pedaling does much of anything other than just activate the motor. It stays on full power so with the assist on the output I’m giving isn’t anything.
Exactly, that's the behavior I find annoying.II'd prefer to still be able to feel some resistance in the pedals at higher speeds so that it's not just a 13 mph moped. But the gearing isn't right for that and unfortunately is difficult to fix via freewheel (but maybe chainring?)

As the very happy owner of two XP 2.0 st bikes (bought just before Christmas 2021) I am thoroughly confused by the philosophy behind the introduction of this bike. Why?

--Non-kiddos who ride this bike will want fenders to avoid puddle soaking
--non-standard battery
--people will want a rack
--no gears, so no hills and no faster cruising possible
--no suspension a giant step backwards.

On the flip side we have a somewhat-lighter ebike, and I frankly don't care about the tire size either way. How critical is weight with eBikes? Not very, in my opinion.

I personally see this as an ebike with very limited appeal. But I have to believe that the Lectric folks did their homework and sensed a need to fill a particular market segment. If they are correct, kudos to them, as their vision is sharper than mine. If not, the bike should and will go away. Give the customer what he wants.
I don’t ride in the rain or through puddles.

Reviews I’ve seen show it going quite well on hills.

I stay on pavement, so suspension is less critical to me.

Weight is extremely critical to me and, apparently, to lots of others.

I have a 62-lb RAD, which I love. Very tough to transport on the bike rack. The Lite I’ll be able to easily put inside, next to my wife’s very transportable Liberty ETrike.

Seems they saw a need, something a lot of people wanted, and filled that need.

Put 44 miles on the lite so far and leave PAS at 1. Haven't made time to mess with the setting though, maybe there's a way to reduce the clunkiness of the lag a bit.

Been a great little bike for quick rides around town. The seat & pedals had to be swapped for ridability issues. Brakes treated to fix the loud squealing.. and still messin with the darn charger port.. might try a little dielectric grease. I still prefer the bike over most of the e-scooters I have but anxiously awaiting the premium.

Couple other easy upgrades have been mud guards, horn/security alarm, bright-ass light, gps locator, and folding lock. Might install new hand grips and modify the twist-throttle to a thumb throttle or bmx bars next.

Back