New XP Lite...

That's double the price and almost ten pounds heavier. I don't think they are targeted at the same customer.
Agreed. As you point out, it's almost twice the price, inasmuch it looks like a bargain for what it is. What it is, again, is a different animal altogether for a different customer than the Lectric Lite.

The weight of the fat Luna is lighter than I guessed (thanks BigNerd for pointing this out. Specs are underneath the picture counter when scrolling. I missed it at first).

Agreed. As you point out, it's almost twice the price, inasmuch it looks like a bargain for what it is. What it is, again, is a different animal altogether for a different customer than the Lectric Lite.

The weight of the fat Luna is lighter than I guessed (thanks BigNerd for pointing this out. Specs are underneath the picture counter when scrolling. I missed it at first).
I just ordered the XP Lite for a commuter bike. I absolutely love my RadCity 5 but it's a beast to haul outside of my apartment and is not ideal to leave locked up outside a store or restaurant. I'm hoping with the XP Lite I'll get some type of carry bag to bring it inside places. I kind of wish it was smaller and lighter but I realize there are limits. I'll still ride my Rad for leisure because it's so comfortable to ride. I don't expect the XP Lite will be anywhere close.

I just ordered the XP Lite for a commuter bike. I absolutely love my RadCity 5 but it's a beast to haul outside of my apartment and is not ideal to leave locked up outside a store or restaurant. I'm hoping with the XP Lite I'll get some type of carry bag to bring it inside places. I kind of wish it was smaller and lighter but I realize there are limits. I'll still ride my Rad for leisure because it's so comfortable to ride. I don't expect the XP Lite will be anywhere close.
My primary bike (Priority Current) has virtually the same size tires as your RadCity5 and somewhat similar frame. While my Propella Mini isn't nearly as comfortable, especially on a long ride, the 20x2 tires (approx) proved to be the most pleasant surprise. I was warned they might feel "twitchy" but I adjusted to that immediately, and really love the way the Mini handles. The Current is like a comfortable sedan, and the Mini is more like a two-seater sports car. With a lot of similar attributes, I think you will enjoy the Lite as a change of pace, in much the same way that I like riding the Mini.

As a newcomer to this sport I find it nice that there are so many choices out there. At this point we are very happy with the XP 2.0st bikes, especially after all our aforementioned mods and additions. Gotta say, though, that one ebike that really appeals to me is the Brompton electric. Some obvious compromises, sure, but this is about the smallest and lightest ebike physically possible, and and notion of taking it on the subway or carrying it up to the office is intriguing. You simply carry the battery pack in one hand and the tiny folded-up and lightweight bike in the other. Apparently the design has been debugged so carefully that these guys have been building the bikes for many decades over in the UK.

Well, there doesn’t seem to be an actual review from an actual random purchaser on this model yet, only the ones who got bikes in exchange for YouTube reviews. I ordered mine the first or second day they were available, and it should be arriving in the next day or two. I’ve owned a couple of high-end e-bikes in the past, so I’ll do my best to provide an objective review from that standpoint. I ordered this bike because I wanted something practical and light for short-distance commuting, that wouldn’t make me want to slit my wrists if it was stolen. We’ll see if it fills the bill.

" ...I’ll do my best to provide an objective review from that standpoint. I ordered this bike because I wanted something practical and light for short-distance commuting, that wouldn’t make me want to slit my wrists if it was stolen. We’ll see if it fills the bill."
I'd like to read your take. I bought a Propella Mini as a 2nd bike with the same practical objectives, but now that a 12 year old grand kid has her hands on it, I might not be getting it back anytime soon. I might buy one of these Lites now and keep it for myself. At this price point, a gambling mistake won't be terribly painful. I only wish they offered a step thru version though. Keep us posted please after you give-it-a-go.

My XP Lite arrived today with the box in good shape. It took me no more than 10 minutes to remove the packaging and have the bike set up, though I haven’t gone over any fasteners yet. The welds and paint are nice—no major flaws. Part of me wondered if this thing would seem like a toy, not substantial enough for adults to ride. Fear not—my initial impression is one of robustness and very good quality for the price. Hopefully I get out on it today and give it an initial spin after charging the battery.

A couple of technical notes: I do notice some refinements versus review bikes I’ve seen on YouTube. The rear reflector bracket is now attached with two fasteners rather than one, meaning it won’t spin if it comes loose. Also, there’s a cage-like structure protecting the right hand end of the rear axle which I don’t recall seeing on all the review bikes. Here’s a quick photo since it will never be this pretty again:

570176D3-C380-4953-BB28-36B90EEEC7D3.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m not going to make it out on the bike tonight, but a couple of more notes: I knew I’d receive the damn Chao Yang tires :( grrr… I also requested no Slime, because at the time I ordered Slime was an option (it looks like all the bikes get Slime now). They said they would try to give me one without when I called, but I think it does have Slime because I held the rear wheel off the ground and whacked the throttle open and the wheel seemed to be WAY out of balance—probably Slime needing to move around in the tube. I hate that stuff! I’m probably going to replace the tires and tubes with something good from Schwalbe or similar, with reflective sidewalls. Also, my bike has 2.6 inch tires rather than 2.4 inch as listed in the spec’s.

OK, I did ride it… in a big, well-lighted parking lot. I put just over 2 miles on it. I’m very pleasantly surprised! In fact, I’m more than surprised. Initial impression is that it exceeds all my expectations.

First, it doesn’t feel small. I’m 5‘10“ and a shade over 200 pounds and it feels like plenty of bike under me. I put the seat and handlebars right in the middle of their adjustment ranges and the bike fit me almost perfectly, so there’s plenty of adjustment height left for taller riders.

The display is fantastic, much better than even the one on my 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 (sold earlier this year), which I’ll be drawing comparisons to. The backlight is brilliant and there’s plenty of contrast, super easy to read. While we’re on the controls, the control pod is oddly-shaped and it’s going to take some getting used to. I’m still not really sure whether my thumb is on the desired plus or minus control until I push the button and see if the display responds correctly. I just need more time with it, but the design could perhaps be a bit more ergonomic.

This is a completely different kind of ride experience than the Vado. The Vado senses your pedaling effort and cadence and smoothly adds power based upon the assist level (1–3). Basically, it still feels like a bicycle, but it gives varying degrees of steady tailwind that make you feel like Superman. Of course, if you stop pedaling, it stops delivering power. Like Specialized says, “you, only faster”.

This Lectric is different as night and day. Not in a bad way at all though, just different! First and foremost, that throttle! What a luxury. No matter how high end of an e-bike I might be considering, I don’t think I’ll consider one without a throttle after this short ride. The cruise control is pure heaven. Especially in traffic, I can see how it could allow you to devote 100% of your attention to the ever present hazards all around whenever we’re on the street. Hold the throttle steady at your desired speed and hold the minus button to set. Tap either brake to deactivate. Intuitive and fun. Arguably lazy, yes, but sometimes you just want to get there in one piece, not tired out and drenched with sweat. This will make that easier.

Now, for the pedal assist levels (“PAS” 1-5)… Since this works so differently than the Vado, I know I’m describing something most people here already understand, but since it’s new to me I’ll explain it anyhow. Each level can be thought of as a “speed limit”, beyond which pedal assist simply cuts off. They all seem to provide the same feeling of “boost” or assistance, they just each serve a different purpose, helping to strike a balance between how fast you get there and how much range you can expect. Choose your desired balance and go. If you outpedal the assist and feel it cutting off, either back the cadence down a bit or bring the PAS up one level. That’s the balance you’re always seeking to achieve… which brings me to something else: the gearing.

I didn’t know what to expect with this being a single-speed, but I think they achieved a great compromise. Granted I was on flat ground, but 20 MPH seems to be a perfect cadence. There’s PAS for the uphills, so 20 MPH on level ground has to be just right, and I really think they did nail it. I don’t think I’ll miss a cassette on this bike. It’s so simple and elegant, which has its time and place. Here, it seems to “just work”, especially with this type of PAS. The PAS levels can be thought of as “gears”, since the overall ratio is so appropriate and PAS helps with not needing to be in our personal “cadence sweet spot” (which can feel pretty restrictive and narrow on regular bicycles, hence all the ratios available on better ones).

One minor disappointment is that I was hoping this bike would be easier to pedal with no power assist, but like every other e-bike I’ve ever ridden, it feels like pedaing through molasses on flat tires. You’ll get it home alright, but it won’t be any fun.

The bike is a little bit growly when the motor is making startup torque. I didn’t expect it to be as smooth and quiet as the Vado. That isn’t realistic. There were no other rattles or odd noises. Fewer parts means less to rattle. I hate rattles.

It doesn’t have flawless craftsmanship. It’s a tool for getting places, something you don’t have to treat with kid gloves, worry about scratching, or freak out if it ever gets stolen. I’m not sure how I feel about the black. I’m wondering if I should have chosen another color. No big deal, though. Can’t say I love the black; can’t say I would love any of the others more.

Rambling on… The headlight is good for being seen and not much more. It’s aimed a bit off the right, too. I need to fix that. It needs a better headlight, and perhaps a better tail light. Maybe soon… though I don’t plan to ride it much at night.

One thing I do plan to change is the tires. They’re only 35 psi rated (!) and I have to believe the range will get better with tires that allow higher inflation pressures, even if they do beat me up a bit more. But I’m planning mostly for smooth pavement. I’m looking at Schwalbe Super Moto-X’s (65 psi), but I want reflective sidewalls… any suggestions?

That’s about it for now until I put more miles on this thing, but I can pretty easily say if one keeps his or her expectations realistic, you won’t be disappointed with this machine. I just told my brother to order up before the lines get any longer :)

Edit: I just checked, and the rear tire imbalance feels pretty much the same, so maybe no Slime in this one after all. When I replace the tires, I’ll replace the tubes, then we’ll know.

Edit again: I forgot to talk about the weight. This might be called the “XP Lite”, but it isn’t really light. It still feels plenty heavy to schlep around, and though I won’t be folding and unfolding it much, I wouldn’t want it to be any heavier (and I’m a fairly able-bodied individual). It’s perfectly clear to me now why they designed such a bike, and I think they’re really onto a good thing here that will be very popular.

One final thought because I don’t feel sleepy yet… Someday we’re probably all going to be floating around in hydrogen fuel cell powered hovercraft or something, with automatic, thought-controlled navigation, collision avoidance, etc. This little machine is a baby step in personal transportation, but it’s one that can really make a big difference right now. For example, I’ve been doing lots of walking. To eat, to Mass, really everywhere… yes, I enjoy it, but it takes time. Too much time, if I’m honest with myself. This little investment will help me recover some of that time, while still doing myself and the world a bit of good. It’s fun to dream about the future, but we’re not living in a bad age at all, are we?

Last edited:
My XP Lite arrived today with the box in good shape. It took me no more than 10 minutes to remove the packaging and have the bike set up, though I haven’t gone over any fasteners yet. The welds and paint are nice—no major flaws. Part of me wondered if this thing would seem like a toy, not substantial enough for adults to ride. Fear not—my initial impression is one of robustness and very good quality for the price. Hopefully I get out on it today and give it an initial spin after charging the battery.

A couple of technical notes: I do notice some refinements versus review bikes I’ve seen on YouTube. The rear reflector bracket is now attached with two fasteners rather than one, meaning it won’t spin if it comes loose. Also, there’s a cage-like structure protecting the right hand end of the rear axle which I don’t recall seeing on all the review bikes. Here’s a quick photo since it will never be this pretty again:

View attachment 122860
I'm excited for you getting your new bike. Still no word from Lectric on mine. Did they email you before shipping it? I also requested no slime (Unchecked the "free" option on the website). I'm not a fan of it and it's not needed where I am on city roads with not too much debris. I'll probably use a battery powered handlebar light with it because I don't want to invest a lot of money upgrading it. It's going to be my "get me there faster than walking commuter bike" that I can feel a little more comfortable about leaving it locked on a chain.

Let us know if you find out anything with the tires. That would be something I might consider if it was to make it more efficient. I hear this thing has a rough ride so maybe that's why they went with the lower PSI?

Yes, I got a shipping notification. It shipped via FedEx and arrived on time. Not sure how I could judge the ride on 35 psi tires. The only way I’ll be able to say the ride is harsh is if I fit the 65 psi tires and make a comparison. I did some more cruising on it today and it’s definitely way better than walking! If your time is worth money and you do a lot of walking like I do, it’s definitely a good investment.

I’m very pleasantly surprised! In fact, I’m more than surprised. Initial impression is that it exceeds all my expectations.

:)
Thanks for this very thorough "first impressions" review. There is nothing you mention that would deter me from getting one, knowing that it is a different beast altogether than my Priority Current. My only slight disappointment is that "molasses" sensation without PAS. Does PAS 1 feel like anything? On the Mini, PAS 1 and 2 are barely noticeable, although on the other hand, at 33 lbs., the bike is easy to ride without motor assistance at all. As you said though, it's not much fun that way either.

Having had zero experience in the past with Slime, I'm a little surprised to learn that it has a real downside for some. 35 psi without inside protection sounds like these tires might be puncture prone, no?

Last edited:
Thanks for this very thorough "first impressions" review. There is nothing you mention that would deter me from getting one, knowing that it is a different beast altogether than my Priority Current. In my write-up of the Propella Mini I think I used the analogy of a comfortable sedan (Current) vs. a small sports car (Mini). The sports car is fun for short zips around the neighborhood, but the sedan is what I would want for longer rides. (It's a little more of a schlep to move around though when I just want to bike around a nearby park for an hour). My only slight disappointment is that "molasses" sensation without PAS. Does PAS 1 feel like anything? On the Mini, PAS 1 and 2 are barely noticeable, although on the other hand, the bike is easy to ride without motor assistance at all. As you said though, it's not much fun that way either.

Having had zero experience in the past with Slime, I'm a little surprised to learn that it has a real downside for some. 35 psi without inside protection sounds like these tires might be puncture prone, no?
PAS-1 “feels” as strong as any other PAS level; it just quits working at a very low speed (about 7 MPH). Don’t know about the tires… I’ll probably replace them before I find out.

I agree the throttle with Cruise Control is one of the outstanding features of the Lectrics. I never had an ebike before, but after trying out the Pedal Assist modes I quickly concluded "No Thanks." Too twitchy for sharp turns at low speed. Anyway, I had ridden a motorcycle for years, so the notion of a 7-speed bicycle with a 1hp twist throttle assist just came naturally to me. I've locked out Pedal Assist completely.

"Lightweight" is not a word that applies to my XP 2.0 st. With all the doodads and goop and tools and rear basket the bike tips the scales at 70 lbs. But I'm not carrying it up any stairs so that's okay with me.

I agree the throttle with Cruise Control is one of the outstanding features of the Lectrics. I never had an ebike before, but after trying out the Pedal Assist modes I quickly concluded "No Thanks." Too twitchy for sharp turns at low speed. Anyway, I had ridden a motorcycle for years, so the notion of a 7-speed bicycle with a 1hp twist throttle assist just came naturally to me. I've locked out Pedal Assist completely.

"Lightweight" is not a word that applies to my XP 2.0 st. With all the doodads and goop and tools and rear basket the bike tips the scales at 70 lbs. But I'm not carrying it up any stairs so that's okay with me.
I’ve never had cruise control on a bike before. I have my RadCity 5 and it has throttle but no cruise control. I rarely use the throttle and just stick with pedal assist. I don’t find it twitchy but then again I don’t make sharp turns with it. It’s a big bike for cruising

View attachment 122860
Any idea how long of a lead time Lectric is quoting now on the XP lites?

I checked online. Artic White and Midnight Black is saying ships in one week. Lectric Blue is two weeks and Sandstorm four weeks. I suspect Sandstorm is more popular than they expected. Of course these times are for my area. It could be different where you are. I would order now if you want one because it's not going to get any shorter at least in the near future.

I just ordered a blue lite for the wife on Sunday. The website said 2 weeks, so hopefully it will be 2 weeks, lol. I've ordered 2 1.0's in the past. The first one was reasonably late, by about a week. The second was 4+ weeks late.

Back