New Turbo Rider

Overspeed

Hey Guys,

New Turbo rider here, picked up a 2014 Turbo S, enjoying the bike immensely.

Im looking at getting the Rear Fender / Rack / Light kit, does the kit come with the front fender?
Also does anyone know if Ortlieb Back Roller Classic Panniers will fit to this rack?

Hi and welcome!

At least here they sell the whole set for about 200$: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Schutzblech Vorne + Hinten und Gepäckträger = mudguards front + back and rack

I have one I think it is a high quality set. If you open a bigger picture on the page you can see that on the back horizontal tube there is a narrow white plastic. That's a led light, which I think the light looks quite cool when lit in dark. The red rectangular below is just a reflector. The light will stay lit for some time after you turn it of. Probably there is a capacitor or something somewhere.

About Ortlieb: maybe you can drop this shop an email and ask. Or perhaps you can already see from the picture if they fit.

Concerning lights, I just learned today that the cable going into the computer display mounting plate draws power from the Turbo battery and the CR2032 cell power is needed for the ANT+ data exchange between battery and display. So, the display backlight is fed by the main battery, not the small cell. I have been keeping the backlight set to 5s thinking it takes the power from the lithium cell and will hog it empty in no time. With the 340 Wh power reserve keeping the backlight on all the time has microscopic effect on the battery charge level. Wireless is probably the reason why there seems to be a small lag when pressing the light on/off switch; the signal goes to the light via Ant+.

Last edited:
I got a Turbo S in November and also ordered the fender, light and rack kit. The kit is a bit on the expensive side but I wanted to use a different seat so I thought I would need a different light too. On the plus side it all fits together and matches the black frame but you disconnect the seat light to use the rack light. The bad side was they were a little too stylish with fender clearances and I've had sand and grit pack up the gap. I use an Ortlieb bag too. The rack uses the Racktime diameter and is the largest the Ortlieb will accommodate.

If you do change the saddle, the tail light can be removed. It is just the standard 80mm spacing Tubus racks have. The wiring has to be adapted.

I use fenders on my "real" bike year-round too. I felt these were designed by someone in California the did not know much about wet weather riding. They allow too much spray, even with mud flaps, on to the bike since they should have used a wider fender. Part of the purpose is to keep the bike clean and reduce maintenance.

On one one hand it's the integrated kit but it has some shortfalls. I have about 500 miles so far on a 40 mile R/T commute. I am still happy with the Turbo S especially on those days when I don't feel like using the regular bike. Its a great alternative to driving part way.

Last edited:
I felt these were designed by someone in California the did not know much about wet weather riding. They allow too much spray, even with mud flaps, on to the bike since they should have used a wider fender. Part of the purpose is to keep the bike clean and reduce maintenance.

Oh yes! I forgot to say that even though the build quality is good, they are not perfect. I agree totally with their lack of protecting from front wheel sprays. My feet are always wet when it is raining. And here in winter it is almost always wet streets if not sub zero. I have been trying to find a mudflap but so far been unsuccessful. I even ordered one made of leather from Brooks, but that was way too thick. I even made one from beer can aluminium. That turned out looking quite nice but it did not last and tore out quite soon. So any flap suggestions are welcomed.

Last edited:
I use the front flap of a Buddyflaps set. I don't use a rear flap on the Turbo because I'm not riding it in a group. They are carried in the local shops and also on Amazon. I peeled the logo off so it's just black. They are made out of 3mm thick flexible vinyl so I would think you could to find some material locally to make your own. I've seen some people use pieces of old water bottles too. They need to be flexible and the aluminum is too stiff. The mudflaps help keep your feet drier but not as good as a properly sized fender and mudflap.

I took few shots of the rack's rear light on and in the last right after when lights are turned off.

Attachments

• Rear_light_2.jpg
    Rear_light_2.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 399
  • Rear_light.jpg
    Rear_light.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 397
  • Rear_light_off.jpg
    Rear_light_off.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 394
Thanks for the welcome and info guys, the commute thread is what twisted my arm to order the bike. ;)

I've ordered the rack and a set of ortlieb back-roller panniers.. will post photos once installed.
I didn't want to ruin the clean turbo look, but function over form eh... will make commuting to work everyday possible.

Will look into the buddy flap or similar after some wet weather testing

The rear LED looks really good Marko, I might try a different saddle now the light will be removed

Had the rack fitted, looks pretty good.
The leds look like they stay on permanently, but dimmed... will this drain the battery?

They will go off eventually. I think the lights may have a capacitor similar to the dynamo versions to keep the light on at a stop light. No idea why an ebike needs that. It will come on when you plug the bike in even if the headlight is off.

I should clarify, it's only after riding with the light on. After I turn off the light or battery, the tail light stays on for a while.

It did eventually turn off completely, battery charge did drop from 20% to 14% when I powered her back up.
I don't normally run it this low... a one time thing

I have also noticed a charge drop without doing anything. For example, I come to work leave it outside with the charge at 87%. Then coming back the charge is usually around 84%. I guess it is the "cold" (~39F) weather doing that.

Thanks for the welcome and info guys, the commute thread is what twisted my arm to order the bike. ;)

I've ordered the rack and a set of ortlieb back-roller panniers.. will post photos once installed.
I didn't want to ruin the clean turbo look, but function over form eh... will make commuting to work everyday possible.

Will look into the buddy flap or similar after some wet weather testing

The rear LED looks really good Marko, I might try a different saddle now the light will be removed

You can get a different saddle and reuse the light

IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0016.JPG

They will go off eventually. I think the lights may have a capacitor similar to the dynamo versions to keep the light on at a stop light. No idea why an ebike needs that. It will come on when you plug the bike in even if the headlight is off.

I believe the Turbo has this feature as a safety measure -- if the battery is dead, pedaling the bike is enough to power the headlights and taillights. The capacitor is likely part of that safety feature.

The rack is in fact a Racktime rack that is used on bikes with dynamo power, thus the capacitive supply.

Back