NEW TO EBIKES-UPGRADES FOR HILLS

AdamC

ORDERED A JUICED CROSSCURRECT S ON MONDAY WITH THE 17.4AH BATTERY.
THE 52T CHAINRING IS HUGE FOR A SINGLE FRONT CHAIN RING, AND THE 9SPEED 11-32 CASSETTE IS JSUT PASSABLE, I LIVE IN HILL COUNTRY WV, WONDERING IF IT WOULD BE OK TO SWICTH OUT TO A SAY 46T FRONT WITH 11-40 REAR CASSETTE TO BE MORE AMEANABLE TO THE HILLS I HAVE TO RIDE.

I WILL BE TOLD THAT A MID DRIVE WOULD BE BETTER, BUT THE COST IS SIGNIFICANLTY HIGHER AND AM NOT BUILDING MY OWN, PLUS ITS SPEC'D OUT FOR COMMUTING.

JUST WONDERING IF THE LOWER GEARING WOULD EASE STRAIN ON THE MOTOR AND MY SELF OR
WOULD IT HINDER THE MOTORS PERFORMANCE?
THANKS

With a hub motor you are best off being able to spin on top of the motor so the lower gear ratio's will help for sure. Go for it.

Lower gearing won’t affect hub motor performance except for how it affects your ability to help the motor, but ebikes tend to climb hills at higher speeds than non-electrics, so a really low gear often isn’t necessary. You might appreciate a lower gear if your hills are steep or you’re heavy, or you have a large diameter tire.

You just ordered it and you expect trouble? You say you are new to ebikes, why not wait until you get it and see how it works?
Edit: I just saw your second post saying you cancelled this order.

Last edited:
Back