New models for 2020 Aventon Level & Sinch

Will it get torque sensor?
I don't believe so. Torque sensing has typically been rare to see on hub drives, until you start getting around $2000 price point and higher. It's tough to do it right and you cant go cheap. Surface 604 has torque sensing on their Rooks, and Colts starting at $1999, and then $2199 when a 14 ah battery is added in lieu of 10.4 ah. juiced has torque sensing on their ebikes above $2000 (before any sales they might have) and IGO just began adding Torque sensing on their hubs drives priced at $2399 and above for their 2020 models coming in April. It has not been easy to implement torque sensing and have it stay in tune, and be reliable until very recently on hub drives. I think S604 finally has the right combination after 4 years of improvements on it. Can't speak for how Juiced has theirs operating, but I know just a couple years ago they were having issues too. Each of these OEMS that includes torque sensing has also been pushing the performance and feature envelope vs price pretty hard. Especially Juiced. Maybe in a few years we will see TS on models price around $1700 ? Hard to say. If battery prices come down more that could add some room to add these other features. But then a lot of times, the OEMS just put more cells in, and boost capacity. Many trade offs and trying to figure out what consumers will value and at what price.

I was anxious to see the finished product so finished it up this evening.

Attaching some close ups. Just very nice fit and finish everywhere. Smooth contours with no visible welds, great wire entry points, and even little things like a rear mounted and solid attaching kick stand. Look like 12 gauge spokes in rear along with eyelets around nipples at the rim. Metal fenders, also good attachments and struts, very well built rack, Acera derailleur, nice lockable grips, and the hydraulic brakes are a step up from the Pace.

Attachments

• IMG_20200208_2126188.jpg
    IMG_20200208_2126188.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_20200208_2129126.jpg
    IMG_20200208_2129126.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_20200208_2126598.jpg
    IMG_20200208_2126598.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_20200208_2122056.jpg
    IMG_20200208_2122056.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_20200208_2120399.jpg
    IMG_20200208_2120399.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_20200208_2126188.jpg
    IMG_20200208_2126188.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 511
Some full bike photos...sorry not the best lighting and I was too tired to find the right location. The primary color reminds me of my Toyota Avalon... Pearl Metallic Gray. Definitely a deep auto like finish. Not sure what they would call the accent or secondary color. It's a pearl like finish too.

Attachments

• IMG_20200208_2121413.jpg
    IMG_20200208_2121413.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_20200208_2208356.jpg
    IMG_20200208_2208356.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_20200208_2121575.jpg
    IMG_20200208_2121575.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 561
Nice update Mike. Bike looks great. I was disappointed that they stuck with the 500's no throttle from standstill and PAS lvl 1 speed profile.
I thought they were going to address those items on this model. Plan to speak with them this week in person, so will relay your feedback. I have not had a chance to ride yet - will need to bundle up a bit. I would love to have 70 degree weather right now.

Nice update Mike. Bike looks great. I was disappointed that they stuck with the 500's no throttle from standstill and PAS lvl 1 speed profile.
The good news is the profile for PAS 1 has been changed on the LEVEL. It's a more gradual acceleration than on the 500.

On the throttle, it can be engaged anytime the motor,bike is rolling, so no need to pedal. No, it's not active from a standstill. That's seriously not a good way at all, to start any ebike, and any acceleration you might hope to get on any ebike using a throttle will never duplicate your pedal effort and the motor combined. It's also unnecessary wear on the internal gears for the motor to just use the throttle to propel one's weight initially from a dead stop.

It's a whole lot safer to use your pedal effort to begin going on any ebike or bike. Key is mentally being prepared at all times to get in the right gear, and being under user control. Throttles can get stuck on full power on any brand, they can suddenly stop working, (not cool if you are solely depending upon it to cross an intersection), or randomly accelerate. No one wants to hear any of this about throttles, but my own first priority is rider safety. Period.

Ebikes aren't meant to be mopeds.

Besides that, very very few other ebike models even have a throttle at this price point with the level of quality of this ebike , and also possess the very good quality components that Aventon includes, and that also does 28 mph, and that can be bought and serviced locally at a dealer. ( If someone wants an instantaneously active throttle that bad, there is the Magnum Metro for $2175 (which struggles to reach 28), or the Juiced CrossCurrent X at $2499. I'm not impressed with either of those, especially for the money they are asking. )

Great looking bike - LIKE!

The folder is looking good. Maybe I need to try one of those. My LBS had one in stock Saturday when we were in there...I was busy looking at mountain bikes.

The good news is the profile for PAS 1 has been changed on the LEVEL. It's a more gradual acceleration than on the 500.

On the throttle, it can be engaged anytime the motor,bike is rolling, so no need to pedal. No, it's not active from a standstill. That's seriously not a good way at all, to start any ebike, and any acceleration you might hope to get on any ebike using a throttle will never duplicate your pedal effort and the motor combined. It's also unnecessary wear on the internal gears for the motor to just use the throttle to propel one's weight initially from a dead stop.

It's a whole lot safer to use your pedal effort to begin going on any ebike or bike. Key is mentally being prepared at all times to get in the right gear, and being under user control. Throttles can get stuck on full power on any brand, they can suddenly stop working, (not cool if you are solely depending upon it to cross an intersection), or randomly accelerate. No one wants to hear any of this about throttles, but my own first priority is rider safety. Period.

Ebikes aren't meant to be mopeds.

Besides that, very very few other ebike models even have a throttle at this price point with the level of quality of this ebike , and also possess the very good quality components that Aventon includes, and that also does 28 mph, and that can be bought and serviced locally at a dealer. ( If someone wants an instantaneously active throttle that bad, there is the Magnum Metro for $2175 (which struggles to reach 28), or the Juiced CrossCurrent X at $2499. I'm not impressed with either of those, especially for the money they are asking. )
Mike, this is the response from Aventon 4 days ago.

Hello Larry,

Aventon has not changed the acceleration to 12 mph on the Level 1. This is the response I got from Aventon when I asked that question 4 days ago.

Thank you for reaching out, we appreciate your kind words. Both our bikes still don't have the ability to start from a standstill and yes, the PAS level one tops off at 12 mph. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best regards

7zmSp6REt2kBJfNFeoM6WwmcUwmm7a4vyFGY7-2McEvVK6l6N8KwJKNqcshtITwbeDrwruSFEp6JyDcscaojZQUageAialX39dCt0StxC-As5A-hMLSF7K9UjXSpuR8aJlgPL5t3e0m4YhiUM70-Ya4vEPc9=s0-d-e1-ft
Luis Escajeda (Avant)
Feb 6, 14:28 MST
Hello Larry,

I respectfully disagree with you regarding most other bikes in this range not having throttle from a standstill. All RadPower bikes have this feature, as does all Ride1up bikes, Espin bikes, etc. It's true that it's rare on middrives, but I would say most hub drives do have throttle from a standstill. Also, Luis confirmed that the new Level does accelerate to 12 mph at PAS level 1, just like the Aventon Pace 500.

I agree with all the other positive factors that Aventon has, but for many, throttle from a standstill is very desirable, and many have found the abrupt acceleration to 12 mph in level 1 an undesirable feature. This has been discussed and reported elsewhere in this forum.

If you can live without throttle from standstill and the abrupt acceleration to 12 mph in PAS level 1, I think the Aventon bikes are a great choice.

Mike, this is the response from Aventon 4 days ago.

Hello Larry,

Aventon has not changed the acceleration to 12 mph on the Level 1. This is the response I got from Aventon when I asked that question 4 days ago.

Thank you for reaching out, we appreciate your kind words. Both our bikes still don't have the ability to start from a standstill and yes, the PAS level one tops off at 12 mph. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best regards

7zmSp6REt2kBJfNFeoM6WwmcUwmm7a4vyFGY7-2McEvVK6l6N8KwJKNqcshtITwbeDrwruSFEp6JyDcscaojZQUageAialX39dCt0StxC-As5A-hMLSF7K9UjXSpuR8aJlgPL5t3e0m4YhiUM70-Ya4vEPc9=s0-d-e1-ft
Luis Escajeda (Avant)
Feb 6, 14:28 MST
Hello Larry,

I respectfully disagree with you regarding most other bikes in this range not having throttle from a standstill. All RadPower bikes have this feature, as does all Ride1up bikes, Espin bikes, etc. It's true that it's rare on middrives, but I would say most hub drives do have throttle from a standstill. Also, Luis confirmed that the new Level does accelerate to 12 mph at PAS level 1, just like the Aventon Pace 500.

I agree with all the other positive factors that Aventon has, but for many, throttle from a standstill is very desirable, and many have found the abrupt acceleration to 12 mph in level 1 an undesirable feature. This has been discussed and reported elsewhere in this forum.

If you can live without throttle from standstill and the abrupt acceleration to 12 mph in PAS level 1, I think the Aventon bikes are a great choice.
In your above note it's impossible to follow whether you are arguing something or whether Aventon is arguing with you.

1) I NEVER said anywhere that other ebikes did not have throttle from standstill. You must have mis read something.

2) Luis is wrong about the acceleration profile for the LEVEL vs the Pace 500. It is different. I just spoke again with my Aventon primary dealer contact about this and re-verified.

Just reporting the facts, no agenda.
Well your note that says something about other brands not having throttles that work from a standstill is factless, and those words never came out of my mouth nor did I write them anywhere in this forum. I know all the models and brands that have throttles that work from a standstill.

BRAIN are reporting Aventon are offering two new ebike models, the Level (Class 3) and Sinch (Class 2, fat folder), available from February. Source: https://www.bicycleretailer.com/new...ll-release-two-new-e-bike-models#.XhipE0dKiUk

pob5_k9g.png

4pkr2e9q.jpeg
Sorry if I am replying to the wrong person. Has anyone purchased a Sinch and what is the word on it as to reliability, ease of operation, fun factor etc. I ride two different road bikes that I converted to e-bikes and the Sinch looks like a lot of fun and quick and east to get going on for short distance errands. Thank you

Back