jamie_e

Region
Canada
City
Toronto
Hi, I’m Jamie from Toronto, Canada. Just bought my first ebike, a Specialized Tero X. The review by EBR on YouTube was a large factor in the decision so it made sense to join. I’ve been bike nuts since a kid but knee injuries and arthritis have taken the joy out. Well, it’s back :) Looking forward to learning more from the forums and hopefully being able to share some.

Attachments

• 0723139A-C336-471E-8073-661CFDED33F8.jpeg
    0723139A-C336-471E-8073-661CFDED33F8.jpeg
    401.6 KB · Views: 41
Hi, I’m Jamie from Toronto, Canada. Just bought my first ebike, a Specialized Tero X. The review by EBR on YouTube was a large factor in the decision so it made sense to join. I’ve been bike nuts since a kid but knee injuries and arthritis have taken the joy out. Well, it’s back :) Looking forward to learning more from the forums and hopefully being able to share some.
Welcome, probaby your biggest issue is ensuring the bike motor helps your joint problems, not increase it, theres plenty of experts here.

Welcome, probaby your biggest issue is ensuring the bike motor helps your joint problems, not increase it, theres plenty of experts here.
It’s only been 3 weeks and almost 600km and the injured knee (torn ligaments and meniscus) is getting better. It’s being able to moderate the pressure. The mental health is far bigger. I’m back on mtb trails (if only lightly) and can roam! Did a 90km ride last week and can spend a full day roaming. Plus I did 60km/h down the hill outside my home last night. Felt like a teenager again!

Welcome back to the biking world!

Another ol' timer with knee pain and had it go 99% away once I started riding back in 2016. Knee ache/pain does start to creep back if I take too long of a break; but, a few 30-60 min rides seems to reduce the pain to almost zero.

Great bike, enjoy!

One way pedaling with assist helps bum knees is by directly reducing both joint surface pressures and misaligning forces and torques — say, during a given climb at a given ground speed. Keeping up your cadence in the face of hills, headwinds, and soft surfaces is part of that.

Another way, if you routinely pedal with some exertion, is to strengthen muscular support around the joint. This helps the joint surfaces stay in proper alignment through the range of motion in the long term, on and off the bike.

So an ebike may be more benefical than just avoidance of knee pain and wear in the moment. My bum knees are better all around after 2 years of ebiking following 25 years of little or no biking. I'm convinced that my ebike deserves the credit.

Last edited:
As @PedalUma anticipated, when I had a very slightly torn meniscus, an injury which occurred ebiking, the doctor at urgent care recommended... more ebiking.

However, she stressed what Jeremy mentioned: Misalignment, torquing, and twisting is what causes the injury. So using an ebike to address an injury, at least in the acute phase, she stressed the need to be mindful of alignment, avoiding twisting, (possibly using a light, soft brace, but noting that the purpose is just to remind the rider to maintain alignment, the brace won't do it by itself) and increasing assistance until the injury heals.

Again, that was a single acute injury, very mild, not a cumulative one-- but it did seem to work pretty well.

Back