Watana Bob

Region
USA
Hello, I have been lurking for a couple of years and thought that it was about time to join. I have gained a great deal of knowledge from the posts from senior members here which helped immensely when I was searching for an e bike to buy.
I am 66 years old and live in Anchorage, Alaska. Unfortunately I have a rare form of muscular dystrophy (OPMD) that I inherited from my mother, it is late onset and I didn’t notice any problems until I was 58 ish, it progressively gets worse and there is no intervention. Walking has become increasingly difficult, more than 1/4 mile is very hard for me to do. Much to my surprise I found that riding a bicycle was something that I could still do, I could make it about 5 miles on an analog bike on flat terrain, this got me to thinking that I could maybe go further and faster on an e bike. Fortunately about 1/2 mile from where I live there is a LBS that sells and services only e bikes, they also have a rental fleet. I rented about a half dozen different bikes before deciding to buy a Diamondback Union 2, it is a Bosch powered class 3 bike. I have really enjoyed this bike and it has been trouble free so far after 2500 miles. I don’t ride winter, so I am limited to 5/12 to 6 months of e biking, in the winter I put a analog bike on a fluid trainer downstairs and try to do 5 miles most days. On the e bike I can do 25 to 30 miles and not feel beat up the next day.
Anyways, that my story, thank you for allowing me to be a forum member.

I'm a decade older, and like you, am partially disabled. I've had 2 hip replacements and and suffer with an arthritic knee which can act up at any time. I've been biking most of my life but my health began to limit the frequency and duration of the rides on my conventional bikes. E-bikes became popular at just the right time and now I'm back riding farther and more often than ever.

When bike shopping, the Diamondback was one of the bikes I tested and was high on my list. I really liked the bike since it had most of the features I wanted. It also was one of the best handling bikes I tested. Unfortunately, since it lacked a throttle, I had to look elsewhere. A throttle to me is a must since, due to joint issues, has gotten me out of a jam on several occasions. I ride in some pretty remote locations where help can be difficult to find. I looked at adding a throttle to the Diamondback but it is difficult to do on a mid drive, especially one with a Bosch motor.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and good luck with your Diamondback!

Welcome aboard!

My own walking issues are still very minor compared to many reported here. Yet over an amazingly wide range of diagnoses, severities, and ages, the story's the same: They all melt away on an ebike.

As a retired MD who specialized in neurological and orthopedic imaging, I find that quite remarkable. Truly something to be thankful for.

Thank you guys for the welcome. It is refreshing to know that I am not the only old guy here with physical challenges.I plan on riding until I can no longer climb upon my bike, then I’ll get a step through, then I’ll get a throttle, then I’ll sit in my rocking chair dreaming of better times while I read this forum and live vicariously through other members experiences. Would it be weird to mount my bicycle seat into the rocking chair?😳
Bob

This very brief video in two parts is quite remarkable. Bikes use and stimulate different neurological pathways and immediately generate dopamine. Maybe that is why I am hooked.
Mind-blowing! Yes, anything that releases a lot of dopamine has addiction potential. Unfortunately, most of them aren't as good for you as cycling.

I started out riding a little, mostly on weekends, just casually, you know just recreationally. To get the same high then I had to ride more distance and faster. Then more distance, faster, and more frequently, every day. I openly admit that I did six rides today just to hit that same baseline threshold. I also walked eight miles. But that was all just for business. Users don't really start to deal just to support their habits or anything like that.

Hello, I have been lurking for a couple of years and thought that it was about time to join. I have gained a great deal of knowledge from the posts from senior members here which helped immensely when I was searching for an e bike to buy.
I am 66 years old and live in Anchorage, Alaska. Unfortunately I have a rare form of muscular dystrophy (OPMD) that I inherited from my mother, it is late onset and I didn’t notice any problems until I was 58 ish, it progressively gets worse and there is no intervention. Walking has become increasingly difficult, more than 1/4 mile is very hard for me to do. Much to my surprise I found that riding a bicycle was something that I could still do, I could make it about 5 miles on an analog bike on flat terrain, this got me to thinking that I could maybe go further and faster on an e bike. Fortunately about 1/2 mile from where I live there is a LBS that sells and services only e bikes, they also have a rental fleet. I rented about a half dozen different bikes before deciding to buy a Diamondback Union 2, it is a Bosch powered class 3 bike. I have really enjoyed this bike and it has been trouble free so far after 2500 miles. I don’t ride winter, so I am limited to 5/12 to 6 months of e biking, in the winter I put a analog bike on a fluid trainer downstairs and try to do 5 miles most days. On the e bike I can do 25 to 30 miles and not feel beat up the next day.
Anyways, that my story, thank you for allowing me to be a forum member.

Hi Bob,

Welcome ! What a wonderful and inspiring story you've shared. Thank you very much. I searched for your Diamondback Union 2 on Google...A very nice
bike. The Bosch Power Train is excellent. I have a older Bosch powered bike and the Bosch has performed flawlessly. It's so smooth. How ironic, you wrote
about having a fluid trainer. I have a similar setup and love it as well. One last thing....You mentioned you're 66. You're a youngster, I'm 76 : )

Welcome again and please check in often. Consider posting a picture of your bike.

All the best,
John

Welcome! Thanks for the nice auto-biography as well, it feels like with that type of introduction we already “know” you. Sounds like you made a good decision on your bike and lucky for you to be able to rent different models until you found what works best for you. Most of us have to buy and sell to learn the same lesson at a higher cost. Glad to hear the e-bike is gentle on your joints and allows a low impact exercise for you! Stick around and post often, lots of great riders here.

This very brief video in two parts is quite remarkable. Bikes use and stimulate different neurological pathways and immediately generate dopamine. Maybe that is why I am hooked.
I found this vid particularly relevant, because being diagnosed with Parkinson's was the main reason that I decided to try an Ebike. I have also heard that cycling slows down the loss of balance associated with Parkinson's, by providing regular balance training.

Last edited:
I used to ride socially. And not very much. After all I could stop anytime. No biggie. Then I was okay with just one bike too. One and done. Now I have bikes stashed in five or six locations and often ride alone.

I keep switching brands and the types of bikes thinking that will help or doing things like riding with milk. I will sneak a quick two mile ride when no one is looking and will end up doing 20. Here is the bike I am converting today.
1676843849725.jpeg

Back