New Member from Alaska

breausaw

Hi,

Just joined the forum, have been riding mountain bikes for over 35 years.

Bought my first ebike in February last year, a fat tire Bulls Monster E FS.

Took a plus FS out for a spin, came back with that ubiquitous grin.

After much deliberation and research bought the Bull Monster, nearly 1700 miles later it’s going strong. Replaced the chain and cassette at about 1400, and the rear hub needed lightweight grease for cold weather riding.

I’m no lightweight the bike has been put through the ringer, snow, mud, monster hills and rocky trails; been on some brutal rides. Live in an area with miles and miles of trails for winter and summer fun.

Summer I run 26 x 4 Maxxis FBR (front specific) and Minion RBR (Rear Specific) tires, winter 26 x 4.2 49North Wrathlordes with 300 cupped carbide studs per tire.

I considered a standard FS eMTB even test road a Specialized Levo, I decided to ride the summer single tracks and mountain trails with my fat tire; the Maxxis tires made all the difference; really hookup way better then the stock Jumbo Jim’s.

Oh yeah, I'm 64 years young.

My legs aren’t what they use to be, the ebike puts me back in the game.

There are no restrictions here in Alaska, ebikes are welcome everywhere by just about everyone except by some of the analog riding Fat Tire folks.

Look forward to reading feedback, new ideas, and adding my 2 cents.

Brad

Welcome to the site.
Glad you're putting on so many miles at our age. I'm 69. My leg strength is as good as always; my patience with headwinds is not. No more 6 hour heartrate 132 bike rides. 3.5 hours 120 bpm is enough.

Breausaw, congrats on your new ebike.
Hubby & I lived in the Palmer/Wasilla area back in our dating days. Stunningly beautiful area and tons of mountain cycling.

Does your model Bulls have the Brose motor? Great motor, lots of torque and very quiet.

Don’t make any moose angry! They are known to attack. 😠🚴🏾‍♂️

Can you explain how you serviced the FreeHub on your Monster E FS.
I specifically need information on how to remove the FreeHub from the hub itself, and how you serviced the FreeHub would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Another Monster owner.

Attachments

• FED8489B-123B-4211-AA5E-FCB4EA9AB61F.jpeg
    FED8489B-123B-4211-AA5E-FCB4EA9AB61F.jpeg
    415.5 KB · Views: 289
Can you explain how you serviced the FreeHub on your Monster E FS.
I specifically need information on how to remove the FreeHub from the hub itself, and how you serviced the FreeHub would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Another Monster owner.
Tooslow, whats up with your free hub? Bulls warranties them for one year, the dealer should repair or replace if there's a problem.
Took mine to the dealer because it was just freeweeling, the pals where sticking from riding in below 10 Fahrenheit.
My dealer swapped out a hub from another bike and working with Bulls USA, the pals where damaged.
You need a cassette removal tool then when you get everything off down to the hub there is a retainer ring notched on two sides that must be removed, stout needle nosed pliers or narrow box end wrench will work.
I left it up to my dealer although worked along side him because like you would like know how to service meself.

Only one local dealer, who last year only started to carry bulls and had no stock. Bike was purchased in another province, hours away. My local dealer said after talking to bulls stated they do not cover warranty regarding free hubs that are freezing up due to low temperatures as a result of too heavy a grease being used.
I guess bulls wisdom is the monster is only used in tropical climates.

Only one local dealer, who last year only started to carry bulls and had no stock. Bike was purchased in another province, hours away. My local dealer said after talking to bulls stated they do not cover warranty regarding free hubs that are freezing up due to low temperatures as a result of too heavy a grease being used.
I guess bulls wisdom is the monster is only used in tropical climates.

I would get online and chat with Bulls USA, they were supportive of my situation. Fortunately I have a great dealer here in Anchorage who did everything he could to get me back on the trails, good luck.

If you don't mind, post some pictures of the bike and tell us about any modifications you have completed.

No real mods other than lighting and fenders along with the Summer and winter tires I mentioned earlier. I did install a seatpost Rack to hold an extra battery off my wife's bike, She doesn't ride as much; it's the same exact model. Nice to have that extra Cushion for long rides. I strap the battery down with 1.5 " velcro straps with buckles holds it pretty darn secure.

The riding looks awesome up there! And 1700 miles later, pretty decent for one year of ownership.
This platform can be improved greatly by a few modifications, turning the "out to pasture" bull into a lambo style "raging bull".

The riding looks awesome up there! And 1700 miles later, pretty decent for one year of ownership.
This platform can be improved greatly by a few modifications, turning the "out to pasture" bull into a lambo style "raging bull".
At This point pretty happy with the way It's set up could use more gearing range might consider upgrading to a Eagle 12 with a big granny gear. I do have the Ergo grips And a neoprene cover for the battery much better range in the cold.
A drop seat would be nice had one on my Scott. There is a remote lockout for the front, my Scott Spark locked out both front and rear simultaneously that was sweet.

Interesting on the battery cover, you think the cover helps on the range?
I can't say I have noticed declining battery performance in the cold. (-7F or so)
Cold has so far only affected the free hub to this point, and maybe my toes and fingers, dam global warming.

Back