New guy, looking for as much help as I can get

With a rear rack... the sky is the limit with regard to accessories. Pretty much mix and match.
I recommend that you focus on the core bike specs, motor, brakes, etc. then add on stuff later.

If you are undecided... Here is a list from EBR of the Best Electric Bikes of 2020. ;)
Select the type of bike category you are interested in and check the recommendations.

Looking for the best electric bikes of 2020? As of today, we have reviewed 1065 electric bicycles.
EBR conducts the industry’s most complete and objective reviews. Reviewing electric bikes is all we do.
Since 2012, we have helped millions of people find and choose the best ebike for their needs and budget.

Table of Contents:
Thoughts on this bike? I found a used one with 100 miles on it about 4 hours away from me. I have them down to $1500. Seems like it could be a deal, which I wouldn't complain about for my first ebike either lol

Thoughts on this bike? I found a used one with 100 miles on it about 4 hours away from me. I have them down to $1500. Seems like it could be a deal, which I wouldn't complain about for my first ebike either lol

Make sure the warranty is transferrable.

Thoughts on this bike?

$1500 would be a deal on the 2020 Retroglide 2.0, but the model has been out for a few years in a previous incarnation the Retroglide iE with a different mid-drive motor by TransX, which version are you getting? If it is the 2.0 version with the Bosch motor you should be able to get it serviced relatively easily, but parts may be harder to find for the earlier motor as your nearest Raleigh Electric dealers appear to be in Maryland.

$1500 would be a deal on the 2020 Retroglide 2.0, but the model has been out for a few years in a previous incarnation the Retroglide iE with a different mid-drive motor by TransX, which version are you getting? If it is the 2.0 version with the Bosch motor you should be able to get it serviced relatively easily, but parts may be harder to find for the earlier motor as your nearest Raleigh Electric dealers appear to be in Maryland.
Warranty is not transferable. Looks like the Bosch.

Attachments

• 0DFD309C-8791-4CDF-B3D9-BD9FAEE3DE2F.png
    0DFD309C-8791-4CDF-B3D9-BD9FAEE3DE2F.png
    322 KB · Views: 289
  • 5C76E967-2486-4210-9340-5E9FF9865941.png
    5C76E967-2486-4210-9340-5E9FF9865941.png
    495.2 KB · Views: 299
Warranty is not transferable. Looks like the Bosch.

Still a pretty decent deal for a $2800 machine. Drive it, go through all the gears a few times, apply the brakes from speed a few times and listen closely. Do any accessories come with the bike? If they are throwing a lock or suspension seatpost etc that would be a bonus. Also, how many keys does it have? What tires are on it? If it is the Schwalbe, it indeed may be the 2800 model, I think they call the Royale?

Last edited:

I would jump on this deal for $1,500... supported with a reliable Bosch mid-drive and Raleigh dealer network. ;)

Last edited:
The Biktrix juggernaut pro fat tire would be perfect for you if can swing it @3600.

The RizeRX looks like a good fit as well but they've also had some QC issues so do research on them https://rizebikes.com/products/rize-rx-pro

The M2S bikes look interesting as well and the Frey bikes would fit but it's a 4month wait from overseas.

A Bafang Middrive is probably the best motor for your application

honestly with PA hills you are probably better off with a powerful Middrive you will for sure need more juice than a Rad!
im not bashing Rad but they dont use the most powerful motors(overvolted 500w motor).
here are some bikes in a few different styles, these pack a bit more punch and will take you where ever you want to go
Biktrix Stunner X (750watts) $2000
Biktrix Ultra 1000 (1000watt 1500watts peak) $2600
Rize Liberty (750watt 1000watts peak) $2000
Ariel Rider D Class(2x750 watt 3000 watts peak) $2400
Ariel Rider X-Class(750w 1500watts peak) $1500

hello joecreed , nice to talk here . I think for a electric bike ,the most important is what kind of battery pack inside ,and the power of the electric motor .that 2 keys do matters how many miles you can ride ,and the speed of your electric bike .for the battery cell ,we have normal battery cell that only support 1C or2C discharge rate ,meanwhile ,some other battterysupport 10c 20c,even 30C diacharge rate . when your bike climb the moutain ,there is a pulse current . also ternary and Lifepo4 batttery working tempreture are different . for example you can calculate how many miles you can ride if you konw the the batterp pack specification and the power of the motor .if you want to know more ,just contact me [email protected] Eason

Thank you all. The Raleigh sold and I have moved on to looking at the Benno Boost and Benno RemiDemi. They are more expensive than I originally planned, but seem to be great quality, just what I’m looking for, And have good customer support. You all have thoughts on these? The only negative I have really heard thus far is the price, but I’m not sure if any similar speced bikes to compare them to.

Joecreed,
My usual 2 cents to new ebike searchers is to test ride some models, even if not in your budget. Of course it depends on your location and ebike availability. You will get a feel for the different features, and hopefully there are some hills to challenge the test bike. Then you can narrow down your search.
That’s an interesting commute, especially in inclement weather. Here in the Upper Midwest we get some pretty intense winters so I’m not a winter cyclist.

So I should be looking for a geared hub motor? Any suggestions for bike brands to check out for that? Thank you.
Not really . A middrive is usually the best hill climbing setup. What he meant is that a geared hub is better than a direct drive hub. But a middrive is still better.

Not really . A middrive is usually the best hill climbing setup. What he meant is that a geared hub is better than a direct drive hub. But a middrive is still better.
Only if your hill climbs are >1000' in 20 minutes. Else mid-drive owners are putting 2 to 5 times as many chains on, as I do my geared hub bike. I get 5000 miles/chain, 2 1/2 years. 8 speed chain. Plus I ride for exercise unpowered when the wind is down. 90% of middrives (by sales) drag the motor with your feet with the power off.

Back