New guy. Im Jon at 7000 ft. In Colorado.

I have a 750w Bafang mid drive kit mounted on a Surly Oger.
Looking coward to learning more about e bikes.
I live where 9% grade is common.
Welcome to the site.

The Surly Ogre is an excellent bike for bafang mid-drive conversion (as are many surlys).

I have a Surly Troll with 52V BBSHD, Surly Bridge Club with 52V BBSHD and a Surly Ogre (non ebike for now).

Im located in Louisville, just south of Boulder.

Thanks Indianajo. We have two directions here..up and down.
Welcome to the site.

The Surly Ogre is an excellent bike for bafang mid-drive conversion (as are many surlys).

I have a Surly Troll with 52V BBSHD, Surly Bridge Club with 52V BBSHD and a Surly Ogre (non ebike for now).

I have a C965 controller with 3PAS.
My throttle can rip the bars out of my hands...or do a wheelie.is there a way to slow the start up speed of the throttle.????
Help would be appreciated.
Jon

Attachments

• 20210710_091429_HDR.jpg
    20210710_091429_HDR.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 161
Thanks Indianajo. We have two directions here..up and down.

I have a C965 controller with 3PAS.
My throttle can rip the bars out of my hands...or do a wheelie.is there a way to slow the start up speed of the throttle.????
Help would be appreciated.
Jon
Yes, the throttle takes some getting used to, I have no idea what settings you have.

I bought my BBSHDs from Luna which has their own settings(Hotrod). My only changes were the keep current at 100% for all PAS levels and no speed limits.

You can change the settings with a programming cable or an eggrider display like I have which allows you to change settings with your smartphone via bluetooth.

Here is a good starting guide for changing settings
https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/06/26/a-hackers-guide-to-programming-the-bbs02/

Also lots of good info in the DIY section here.

Last edited:
@looseheadset, Can you please post some photos? There are some things you can do with the display. Some people like to reduce the Amps. With the programing cable you can reduce the power of level one.

Welcome to the site.

Did you get beefier brakes or pads for your Surly or are you using stock brakes

Hi Jon, Good morning, Great thread! i lived in CO from 80 to 89 and spent much time out there carving canyons on motorcyles and even gave roadracing with the MRA for the 81 season.
I had to give up 2 wheelers due to a scaffold fall 4 years ago and a hearing loss/balance impairment. I just acquired a TerraTrike EVO with a Bosch mid drive. Pretty new to Ebikes and am hungry for knowledge but short of time. I will be reading when i can and i look forward to learning about the Bafang stuff. Bosch is just way too proud of their equipment and parts are overpriced and the hardware does not offer a throttle setup, and i think i'm gonna need one as i destroyed my rt knee in 1981 after a motorcycle crash at the intersection of Alemeda and Federal Blvd in Denver. Sometimes my knee is so bad after 10k+ steps at work pedaling is just too painful.
Please forgive me for this lengthy thread stealing diatribe. Grace and Peace to All!
tom

Hi Jon, Good morning, Great thread! i lived in CO from 80 to 89 and spent much time out there carving canyons on motorcyles and even gave roadracing with the MRA for the 81 season.
I had to give up 2 wheelers due to a scaffold fall 4 years ago and a hearing loss/balance impairment. I just acquired a TerraTrike EVO with a Bosch mid drive. Pretty new to Ebikes and am hungry for knowledge but short of time. I will be reading when i can and i look forward to learning about the Bafang stuff. Bosch is just way too proud of their equipment and parts are overpriced and the hardware does not offer a throttle setup, and i think i'm gonna need one as i destroyed my rt knee in 1981 after a motorcycle crash at the intersection of Alemeda and Federal Blvd in Denver. Sometimes my knee is so bad after 10k+ steps at work pedaling is just too painful.
Please forgive me for this lengthy thread stealing diatribe. Grace and Peace to All!
tom
Welcome Tom. Sorry I miss placed your thread. Hope your knee improves

Did you get beefier brakes or pads for your Surly or are you using stock brakes
Only the BridgeClub came builtup, all other surly bikes (Ogre,Troll) were frameset only.

The Ogre is not an ebike yet and is using the stock tektro brakes from the BridgeClub which I am not a fan of.

All bikes are using 180mm front rotor and 160mm rear rotor.

Both the Troll and Bridgeclub(both 52V BBSHD at 30a/~1500W) are using Deore 2 piston calibers front/back with resin pads. I got these on sale for a significant discount at the end of last year when the new models were coming out. I initially planned on going to better pads and/or larger 200mm rotor but the stock resin pads and 180mm rotor work fine on these bikes. I can easily get the back wheel off the ground (stoppies) when stopping. I practice max braking at least once per ride to keep my skills/reaction up to date most of the time starting from 30+mph. I see no reason to upgrade anything unless I plan on doing alot more downhills(sustained braking).

FWIW, I have been MTBing since the early 90s including lots of downhill courses at ski resorts and am very familiar with the need for good brakes,

Last edited:
Only the Ogre came builtup, all other surly bikes (Troll, BridgeClub) were frameset only.

The Ogre is not an ebike yet and is using the stock tektro brakes.

All bikes are using 180mm front rotor and 160mm rear rotor.

Both the Troll and Bridgeclub(both 52V BBSHD at 1500W) are using Deore 2 piston calibers front/back with resin pads. I got these on sale for a significant discount at the end of last year when the new models were coming out. I initially planned on going to better pads and/or larger 200mm rotor but the stock resin pads and 180mm rotor work fine on these bikes. I can easily get the back wheel off the ground (stoppies) when stopping. I practice max braking at least once per ride to keep my skills/reaction up to date most of the time starting from 30+mph. I see no reason to upgrade anything unless I plan on doing alot more downhills.

FWIW, I have been MTBing since the early 90s including lots of downhill courses at ski resorts and am very familiar with the need for good brakes,
I only have the Olgre that has disc brakes. Came with160 rotors. I'm not much of a MTN biker. I enjoy gravel road riding.
The other bikes have rim brakes. I live in a hilly area with steep grades 9 and above.
Kool Stop makes brake pads for e-bikes.
The model number that have a ceramic layer between the pad and steel backing to dissipate heat For Tectro HD M 275 brakes is
KS-D620 E
Nice chatting with you.

I only have the Olgre that has disc brakes. Came with160 rotors. I'm not much of a MTN biker. I enjoy gravel road riding.
The other bikes have rim brakes. I live in a hilly area with steep grades 9 and above.
Kool Stop makes brake pads for e-bikes.
The model number that have a ceramic layer between the pad and steel backing to dissipate heat For Tectro HD M 275 brakes is
KS-D620 E
Nice chatting with you.
Im mostly doing gravel rides these days but do a few MTB rides during the week (I ride everyday).

Shimano upgraded the Deore to have 4 piston calibers for 2021 and I have thought about upgrading the fronts but my 2 piston versions seems to work fine. The resin pads also seem to work fine (the first time I have ever used them, usually preferring more aggresive compounds). If I truly wanted 1 finger braking I would go that route but I have been 2 finger braking my whole life

Last edited:
Im mostly doing gravel rides these days but do a few MTB rides during the week (I ride everyday).

Shimano upgraded the Deore to have 4 piston calibers for 2021 and I have though about upgrading the fronts but my 2 piston versions seems to work fine. The resin pads also seem to work fine (the first time I have ever used them, usually preferring more aggresive compounds). If I truly wanted 1 finger braking I would go that route but I have been 2 finger braking my whole life
Paul's calipers are really nice like their price..but pretty

Back