New guy from Albuquerque

Greylight

Hi there! I just bought a 2018 Trek Powerfly Speed, also known as the Police Edition. It’s a class 3 hardtail with a mountain bike suspension fork.

B64B1878-3878-4F75-922B-E098BD009ED5.jpeg

I’m using it to commute to work a couple of days per week, and on some trails (fire roads) in the mountains on the weekends. Fortunately, NM just updated our traffic code last year (2017) to allow motorized bikes to use all bike paths and lanes, so they are treated as regular bikes.

I’m a software engineer at a small company that publishes remote administration software for IT professionals. I sit at a computer all day and commuting by bike is my way of getting outside more and getting some moderate exercise. My commute is only a 7.5 mile trip each way, but it’s mostly uphill on the way in, and this bike lets me arrive in 25 mins without breaking a sweat.

On my second day with the bike, I passed a small group of cyclist pedaling up a moderately steep hill. One of them, hearing the whirring sound of the motor, called out “cheater”, but he was smiling and I could tell it was a good natured jest. But I suppose it’s going to take a while for the cycling community in the US to see ebikes as just a different type of bike.

Hit me up if you’re in the Albuquerque area with an ebike and want to go for a ride!

Lee

Last edited:
Welcome!
I have similar commute length (and stuck-at-desk job)... as my fitness has improved over this biking season, I've altered my route home (since I can afford to get sweaty then) to about 23 miles, for more exercise / outdoor time.

I've altered my route home (since I can afford to get sweaty then) to about 23 miles, for more exercise / outdoor time.

That’s a great idea! When my schedule allows it, I’ll try taking the scenic/workout route on the way home.

I fellow "505" work commuter ebiker! I've been ebiking to work since 2016 with my two Radrovers. I ride 12 months out of the year even with +95 degree heat in the summer and sometimes 15-25 degree chilly mornings in winter. Started out as his/her and ended up as his/his. I trade off both ebikes to keep wear/tear/mileage about the same (+2700 miles per ebike). My commute is about 25-35 minutes depending on traffic and headwind (6.5 miles from 98th street to 12th street).

I've heard a few "that's cheating" over the years; but, mostly on the Rio Grande river paved bike path (once by a guy on roller blades). It is always weird to me for someone already using a tool/technology to gain mechanical advantage and efficiency would call my tool cheating? Besides, I'm parking my car for my ebike with the added benefit of getting exercise in the process (like taking the stairs at work; not, taking the elevator to the gym).

Planning to hit Balloon Fiesta on the weekends when it starts to avoid parking and quick in/out with the mass ascension. Extremely nice to leave from my house to balloon park on my ebike for the +30 mile round trip.

That’s a cool setup you’ve got there. I’m just getting started with accessories. :)

Yeah, we rode our bikes to the Balloon Fiesta last year. It really was great to avoid the traffic. Even the park and ride can have pretty long lines.

Back